Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

windows secrets.....

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:53 am

all of a sudden "Windows Secrets" has arrived in my email, which gives all sorts of advice about windows and how to get rid of errors and so on all apparently for free...anybody have this and is it genuine.

Re: windows secrets.....

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:24 pm

No, don't trust it. Windows would work with you straight through your OS. Just apply the essential updates that they offer through 'windows updates' and all of their secrets will be yours.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Frantic wrote:No, don't trust it. Windows would work with you straight through your OS. Just apply the essential updates that they offer through 'windows updates' and all of their secrets will be yours.

cheers frantic, have now deleted :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:47 am

Bit of a saga I know, but worth noting:

There's a 'thing' going around at the moment where someone (in my case an Asian sounding guy) calls you at home and says he is from 'Windows' and that your computer has been identified as 'running slowly' before offering to 'update and rectify' the problems....

A friend was called three times by this guy and (being a suspicious soul, asked him who he was, who he claimed to represent and what EXACTLY was he offering to do??

His replies were 'considered' and sounded legitimate UNTIL said friend asked "Where did you get my number??"

He replied: "You registered your computer with 'windows' on start-up' and your IP Address was registers automatically with your details, including phone number...."

"Hmmm", said the friend, "the problem I've got with that is that the computer I currently use is being loaned from my mum who doesn't live here, so you wouldn't have MY number, would you....??"

Phone goes dead....

Can't totally say it WAS a 'scam', I'll let you draw your own conclusions but please be wary of anything similar happening to you or yours....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:12 am

An Indian woman phoned me up a few weeks ago with the same thing.
I played along for a while to see what she was up to.
She told me what to click on until we got to 'Windows Event Viewer', which gives you a list of normally harmless PC errors.
She then tried to sell me some software to stop the errors.
I got her name and her company and reported her to the TPS, who to be fair, since I signed up years ago, have stopped nearly all of my junk mail, and most telephone 'cold calls'

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/what/

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

Lee