Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

PRESS CONFERENCE UPDATES

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 am

This from Don Cowie :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: PRESS CONFERENCE UPDATES

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:18 am

It's been a great start. Luckily we've hit it off straight away but we've got to manage the expectation. We'd rather be up the top than the bottom after two games. Having so many Scottish players has helped a lot but everyone is getting on so well and it's great. You don't know how long it's going to take to gel but hopefully now we can just build on this. Brighton have a winning mentality though and they will be tough to deal with. They beat Watford in the cup last year. I was injured so watched how good they were at first hand. They've shown they will compete in the league. I was very surprised how well they passed the ball. They were a bit like Swansea in the Championship.

We're working as hard as we can and the rest can then take care of itslef and the football side comes out. If we work hard the ability will shine through. It's exciting as a player to see players like Kenny Miller and Earnshaw being signed. It's our job to give them the best service we can.

Winning at home is important. We want it to become a fortress and build on our start.

The manager looked at my fitness at Watford and thought it would be a good idea to get me here. It helps me out on the pitch. Getting fit seemed to click with me. I did a bit of cross country in school but I was never the best in my year. We've got players who can rotate in the midfield. Joe Mason came on and was outstanding and Peter dropped into the deeper role but I'll slip into there if he wants to get forward. Conway is playing well in the midfield too.

To win at West Ham was massive and we played well against Bristol City. It's been a great start. We've got a lot of balance in the team. I like to work hard, Craig likes to get at players and Whitts is one of the best technical players I've seen.

Mason finds himself insome great areas. Bristol struggled to pick him up and made some naughty tackles on him because he was so direct. If he can work on the final pass he can be a real find. He''s a quiet boy but we hear from him when he gets on the ball because he can change games. He's only young and he didn't play too much first team football last year but he will be a real find.

We said at half time we must not let them back into the game. It was disappointing not to add in the second half and to concede, so 3-1 was a wee bit disappointing.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 am

Malky will be talking any minute :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks for the updates :ayatollah:

I'm starting to get a bit excited for thie Mason, didn't think he'd make much of an impact tbh, but if he carries on playing like he dad against Bristol then what a find that's gonna be!!

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:59 am

This from Malky :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Gunnarsson has a twisted ankle. Is out for a week. Darcy has had another few days training but his match fitness is not there. But he's fine. McPhail is going in the right direction. Should be back in the next two weeks.

The wins have been great and the way they've played and applied themselves have been great. Nobody is getting carried away. They've worked really hard and taken everything on board but it's coming. It's about keeping the players fresh.

There's nothing to get carried away with. It's a long hard season and we need to apply ourselves. But it's nice to get a win for our fans at home.

Brighton were great last season. they've got a new stadim and momentum and will be a tough test for us. They play good passing football and we've got to make sure we are at our best. I've met Gus and he's a passionate football man and loves his football. We've got our analysis done and I've seen them close up last season. They are a team who likes to pass the ball and work hard for each other. Will Buckley limped off the other night so I don't know if he will play but he is an exciting player.

This is another diferent style of team but we've got to be energetic. We're at home and it's about how we start and apply ourselves. Sunday in a local derby we were very calm and we picked passes well and covered well.

There are less bodies available tomorrow but Joe Mason has hit the ground running. He'd warmed up well and affected the game which I was delighted with. The hard work the players are putting in gets them organised. It wont always come off but they know what they're doing and they have options open to them.

League 1 and the Championship are very close. Some teams had bigger budgets in the team below last year, which I found to my cost. There are big clubs down there and if they get their acts together they can hit the ground running in the Championship and they are able to invest in big players like Craig Macakail Smith. They are not looked at as a favourite to go down. It certainly makes it competitive.

Everybody has their own ideas on how they want to play and there are different ways to win a game. You have to be adaptable one way or another. Gus is someone who is passionate about football and his country. He's someone with a good structure at Brighton and is destined to do well.

We are chipping away at new players but a lot of my targets on frees are gone. We are looking at clubs looking at their squad before letting loan players out. We're also looking at clubs who don't put prices up too high because it has to be right for the club. I'm looking at loans and players to sign. If I can do business before the loan window then great but I need to strengthen the whole squad. We're way down on numbers to mount a challenge.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:29 am

The very last comment by MM is the key, we need another three or four new players to really move things on.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:37 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:The very last comment by MM is the key, we need another three or four new players to really move things on.

He's got his head screwed on and is AWARE of what we need to push forward - to say not to get carried away, and that we need to add quality numbers to the personnel just emphasises that he knows what he's doing, and working hard to make the club successful. I'm still buzzing we've employed Malky - and am slightly embarrassed about the Hughton and Shearer fiasco now looking back!

Onwards and upwards. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:46 am

Merlin wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:The very last comment by MM is the key, we need another three or four new players to really move things on.

He's got his head screwed on and is AWARE of what we need to push forward - to say not to get carried away, and that we need to add quality numbers to the personnel just emphasises that he knows what he's doing, and working hard to make the club successful. I'm still buzzing we've employed Malky - and am slightly embarrassed about the Hughton and Shearer fiasco now looking back!

Onwards and upwards. :ayatollah:

I agree, & i am quietly confident on our future.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:14 am

thanks for the updates, sounds all positive :ayatollah: