Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: PPI settlement arrived today

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:48 pm

i had 1500quid back last thursday paid for my new telly and a day out with the missus shoppin shes well happy :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Taken 14 months on mine already, still no sign of much happening. :(

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:51 am

I havent done this yet, and I've paid loads of ppi over the years, advice please gents!

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Gavlar wrote:I havent done this yet, and I've paid loads of ppi over the years, advice please gents!

Bump!

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:41 pm

I wanna do this too,

But im useless at keeping paperwork so i have no idea which things i've paid PPI on

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:03 pm

3000 quid, well done mate! :shock:

Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Did you go through any websites to do this or you actually contacted your loan companies with letters?

Im looking online and lots of companies seem to offer this. Any suggestions?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:01 pm

I am thinking of doing this how do i proceed ?

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:39 am

I'm confused as to why people are getting money back. Did you not realise they were adding PPI to your loan?

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Not quite the same thing, but I'm doing a similar thing for the PPI paid on my credit card. I just wrote a letter to my credit card provider and they got back to me saying there is a 8 week delay for the investigation, that was about 6 weeks ago so just waiting to hear.

Just a small note for everyone, I worked for an insurance company in Glasgow, where we sold personal accident insurance. I had to deal with complaint calls from people who insisted they had said no to being sold the insurance. I was told if a claim was under £250, to just refund the customer because if the customer was to complain to the Financial Ombudsman, if the company won or lost we would still have to pay £250 for the case having gone to the FO.

You never heard that from me right .....;-)

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:29 am

Interesting. ;)

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:36 am

Had my letter yesterday from the Halifax with a very nice and acceptable offer of £2056 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:57 am

Gavlar wrote:
Gavlar wrote:I havent done this yet, and I've paid loads of ppi over the years, advice please gents!

Bump!

First thing you need to do is write to the company that sold you the PPI. Basically ask them how much PPI you paid into the account. Once you have this information then yo ucan request it back.

Some companies just pay up depending on how much it is and some play awkward. Threatening them with the financial Ombudsman usually gets them to pay up.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:59 am

maccydee wrote:I'm confused as to why people are getting money back. Did you not realise they were adding PPI to your loan?

Alot of these loans had hidden PPI charges. Also alot of companies sold them without following proper procedures such as where PPI covered redundancy yet the client was self employed therefore making the PPI null and void.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:01 am

welshie wrote:Not quite the same thing, but I'm doing a similar thing for the PPI paid on my credit card. I just wrote a letter to my credit card provider and they got back to me saying there is a 8 week delay for the investigation, that was about 6 weeks ago so just waiting to hear.

Just a small note for everyone, I worked for an insurance company in Glasgow, where we sold personal accident insurance. I had to deal with complaint calls from people who insisted they had said no to being sold the insurance. I was told if a claim was under £250, to just refund the customer because if the customer was to complain to the Financial Ombudsman, if the company won or lost we would still have to pay £250 for the case having gone to the FO.

£500 now.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:06 am

Midfield general wrote:
welshie wrote:Not quite the same thing, but I'm doing a similar thing for the PPI paid on my credit card. I just wrote a letter to my credit card provider and they got back to me saying there is a 8 week delay for the investigation, that was about 6 weeks ago so just waiting to hear.

Slightly different with a credit card mate than a loan. HSBC come back to me and admitted that I had the protection on my credit card between 99-02. However because the payment amount varied from month to month they are claiming that they don't know the settlement figure which I should receive yet they know the dates!!!!! So they come back and asked me to provide them with credit card statement for the period in question bearing in mind its over ten years ago!!!! :evil: With this in mind I've contacted the Financial Ombudsman and they are looking at it however they did tell me that they have never heard of such a stance before.

Not really MG regarding going to the FSO. Credit card, loan, HP agreement etc etc, any case making its way to the FSO still incurs a cost to the company regardless if they win the case or not. Today I beleive the cost is £500 for each case.

This 6 year rule yo uhave got over is new to me. I know you have mentioned it before but how have you got over this?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 am

Any updates on this subject please???

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 am

claimed back £7600 :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 am

I always refused it --but ive got Owl checkig for m eanyway--they are a bit steep though they will be raking in 39% of anythin g they find--If you do it yourself yu get 100 %

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
maccydee wrote:I'm confused as to why people are getting money back. Did you not realise they were adding PPI to your loan?

Alot of these loans had hidden PPI charges. Also alot of companies sold them without following proper procedures such as where PPI covered redundancy yet the client was self employed therefore making the PPI null and void.

There was other miss-selling too.

I got my money back simply because Northern Rock told me I couldn't have the loan unless I took out the PPI with it. They should either offer you the loan or not, it's your decision as to whether you protect it, depending on your circumstances.

I did it myself, I think I used some template letter I found on the internet. Took 10 weeks for them to accept and send the cheque (which included interest !) but no hassle :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Gents

from someone who works for one of the large banks (can t say which one) the following advice on how to have a better chance

Mention in the letter:

If you where civil servant (banks deem them to have high end employee benefits)
A detailed account of the sale (remembering small details like, a man or woman sold the policy, in was in my local branch in ely or Rumney etc)
You felt pressured, check if the agreement has an X where you sign this is deemed to be pressure selling.
In your letter to the bank tell them (even if not always the truth) you recieved at least 6 months full, pay x2 annual salary death in service, and 6 months full accident and sickness, they got so many complaints they have to take your word at face value.

and what ever you do, DO NOT go through any of the Claims Companies the banks give absoultly no weight if a claim comes from a Customer direct or a Claims Compay, in fact banks are encouraged to look for "genuine cases" so using generic stuff from websites the banks will dismiss sound genuine, put it in your own words. Also if you have arrears on your account Banks will offset against the arrears, if you are succsesful specifically on your acceptance ask for all funds to be sent to you and not offest, the FSA have said customers have this right...

.. hope this helps lads.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:22 am

This is worth a look if you want to pursue a complaint about PPI misselling:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/p ... s/ppi.html

Don't bother with a claims management company, do it yourself and then all the money is yours.

This is also worth a look at:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclai ... -insurance

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:47 am

I'm in the process of looking into this too, sent a letter to A&L a few weeks back and waiting on a reply.

Used a template letter I found here http://www.renaissancebusinessfinance.c ... o.php?p=10 and another few sites from a basic google search for other tips.

I was self employed a the time and was told I wouldn't get the loan without taking a policy, I was pretty desperate at the time so agreed to it. Did a heap of research lately after hearing of so many positive claims and hoping to get a few quid back. If you don't ask then you don't get!
Last edited by PtB on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:47 am

Banks are now under strict deadlines set by the FSA for processing these claims and if anyone hasn't had a reply within 8 weeks threaten them with being reported to the FSA and that will sort any delays out.

I would advise anyone thinking about putting in a claim to do it themselves and not use any of the companies who advistise on TV or call you non stop asking to represent you.

I used Gladstone Brookes on a couple of claims but because one related to PPI attached to my mortgage and it was arranged via a financial advisor and his company had gone bust they didn't want to know. Gladstone Brookes submitted a claim on a credit card for me a I received £2056 but had to pay GB over £600 and if I knew then what I know now and would have done it myself and saved that £600.

I didn't let the mortgage one go and submitted a claim myself directly to Halifax who wrote back 6 weeks after I submitted the claim and said that they could find no record of any PPI policy. I sent them copies of the policy which included other aspects related to the mortgage like life assurance and highlighted the section relating to PPI. I told them they had 2 weeks to submit their compensation offer or I would report them to the FSA. A couple of days later the Halifax rang me and apologised for their mistake and asked if they could have further time to check their records and I told them they could have 8 days. :lol:

The following morning I had their compensation offer of £4,850 and a week later a cheque arrived which paid for our summer holiday. Gladstone Brookes didn't want to know but they lost out on over £1,000 but it is so easy to do this anyone who hasn't yet done it should do it.

I'm now submitting a claim for my sister who once had a credit card with Capital One years ago and they are not even putting up a fight thanks to the FSA.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:22 am

I have just received a refusal letter off the bank , saying they had looked at their records and I was not mis sold PPI ? But I am writing back saying I am not happy with the decision , and I will contact the ombudsman , is that the right procedure ? I was sold the loan over the phone , then the paperwork arrived all printed asking for my signature . Any advice please ?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:23 am

Dont go through a claims company. Do it yourself. If they turn you down go to the ombudsman. The banks are complete cunts

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:24 am

I have just received a refusal letter off the bank , saying they had looked at their records and I was not mis sold PPI ? But I am writing back saying I am not happy with the decision , and I will contact the ombudsman , is that the right procedure ? I was sold the loan over the phone , then the paperwork arrived all printed asking for my signature . Any advice please ?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:33 am

nojac wrote:I have just received a refusal letter off the bank , saying they had looked at their records and I was not mis sold PPI ? But I am writing back saying I am not happy with the decision , and I will contact the ombudsman , is that the right procedure ? I was sold the loan over the phone , then the paperwork arrived all printed asking for my signature . Any advice please ?

Do you have a particular reason why you feel it was missold?

Do you have proof, for instance, that you had enough savings, or other source of finance, to cover the payments if you fell ill or lost your job? If so, get it together and fill out the FOS questionnaire and submit it back to the bank. See my link earlier today.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:35 am

aberblue1977 wrote:Dont go through a claims company. Do it yourself. If they turn you down go to the ombudsman. The banks are complete cunts

I've seen a bit of this from the inside. I'm no friend of the banks, myself, but they have set aside a huge amount of money to deal with these claims. Some people did need the PPI and some didn't, so they won't all be refunded their money. You have to prove you have been missold it, or that you didn't need it, though.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:12 pm

I claimed my PPI by myself and cut out them robbing bastards

A good guide of PPI's

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclai ... urance#faq