Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Latest prison and court news

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:50 am

Latest news …lads that are serving time

We still have three of our lads in Wayland prison, Norwich, NT is in Highpoint in Ipswich, young Matthew is in a youth offenders near Brighton and Wes who has now been put in Cardiff prison after a spell in Swansea…We also have Matthew A, Iain T, Mike, Adie, Wyndham, and the Abergaveny lad up in the Scrubs...which is filling up with rioters .

Glad to say they are all doing very well and some will be released this month on TAG, probably just before the bank holiday , so relief for some of the families.

The riots in London and other parts of the country have further complicated things, when you realise that the reason City and Chelsea lads are inside is due to the Public order Act 1986, section 2 Violent conduct which has a 5 year maximum sentence and Affray that has a variant sentencing policy based on looking at the whole situation. That leads us to people already sentenced in London in relation to these riots getting fines and one night in cells etc…surely they are all section 1 Riot? If they were sentenced on that basis the maximum jail sentence would be 10 years, but obviously those already done by magistrates in a fast track fashion are getting off quite lightly…that is not to say that there will be many who are eventually charged with section 1…and unfortunately the Scrubs where our lads are is filling up with the rioters every day.

One Chelsea lad called Paul, stood alone in the dock this week, charged with a section two based on clothing identity only from four fussy helicopter photographs and a distant image from a police mobile camera, he was not identified by his face, there were also some late evidence thrown at him much to the disgust of Judge Edmunds but it was allowed after the defence were given a little time to check it…anyway a two day trial took place, amongst all the concerns of last week up in London, and the jury were made up of 12 people who really did look disinterested.

On the second day Paul was in the dock, his family in the court were told that the jury would retire to reach a verdict, it could take any amount of time…so the family went outside to wait…within 10 minutes they were called back in and the judge said that all 12 jurors had said Guilty, the young lads future decided in 7 minutes based on what he was wearing…
The barrister then attempted to get bail for Paul…it had been granted to almost everyone else in this case including Andy F so it was assumed there would be no problem, Paul has a good job, a solid family and girlfriend, no previous offences other than a minor offence and needed time to get social reports, probation reports etc. and of course to sort out his job and personal affairs before being sentenced in September…however the judge refused and ordered that Paul be sent straight down to the Scrubs on remand until sentence…he was totally unprepared and why should he have been, there was absolutely no clue that this would happen especially with all the jails being full.

His dad rung me, obviously very confused by it all and angry and it was hard for me to listen to him because I know how he feels, but I also know that our lads up there will make sure his son is looked after, I have already contacted Vince who will get hold of Matthew, who is still on the remand wing to look out for Paul…to be fair the both sets of fans throughout have been getting on and all have done their time without causing any problems…they are not criminals and were fish out of water but they all got through it.

As you probably know I have been in court for most of the last 2 weeks in Portsmouth and there are 4 Pompey lads and my mate Mog facing charges of Violent conduct Section 2 and Affray section 3…all are in the hands of the jury now who will decide their fate on Monday or maybe Tuesday if it takes that long….I think one Pompey lad is in trouble for one of the offences but may get not guilty on the other two, another Pompey lad should not even be there, he just run to the scene and stopped without taking part…the 2 other Pompey and my mate are all 50-50 in my eyes to get off or get a guilty verdict, although that may be based on an alternative section 4 rather than the more serious section 3 or 2…all will mean banning orders though so obviously we need Mogs to get a not guilty, why him and not the others? Well he was the only one who went to the game that day, the others don’t seem that bothered about bans.

Good luck Mogs

Re: Latest prison and court news

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:57 am

On a side note Jon, the Chelsea lads' dad informed me that during his sons' trial this week there was talk of more investigations taking place to identify even more fans from the Chelsea v Cardiff game....also the Crime stoppers site is being revamped and updated with a football section based around the Met area which will have photos on display of faces wanted from games in the Capitol from as far back as 2007...they must have plenty of time on their hands and money to burn.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:00 am

thanks for updating us corky. f*cking pathetic that the ob are still very concerned about football fans after the events last week.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Cheers cork, iv read everything youv posted about chelsea from the start, but I can't get my head around why its such exteme sentencing, its as ifas if somone high up got caught up in the trouble for it all to be so harsh? And now if more pictures are going to come out again after the london riots makes it seem something like that must have happnd cos it jst dosnt add up