Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Irish are able to choose between the Republic or NI

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:28 pm

The Mcclean story that came out today were he's jumped ship to the Republic after playing for NI at various age grade levels, highlighted a FIFA rule that any playing born on the island (if Ireland) can choose which flag they want to play for - nit sure how commonly known this is...I didnt have a clue about it???

The stats show there have been a list of players who've chosen Republic after growing up in NI, but no players have made the move in the opposite direction.

I dont like the rule, where does the rule end? Could an argument be presented for similar opportunities for Welsh and English players, as we're a principality? I fukn hope not..!

Re: The Irish are able to choose between the Republic or NI

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Sorry about the spelling and grammar above, fukn awful. I post from my phone, and it fukn shows! Ha

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

it is difficult, but if you look at those youngsters who opt to play for the republic all come from a catholic background. and to be honest i cant blame em, after a good number of catholic lads who played their guts out for northern ireland got harrassed and even received death threats from sectarian morons (e.g. Anton Rogan, Neil Lennon, Chris Baird, Pat McCourt, Niall McGinn)

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Hofmeister wrote:it is difficult, but if you look at those youngsters who opt to play for the republic all come from a catholic background. and to be honest i cant blame em, after a good number of catholic lads who played their guts out for northern ireland got harrassed and even received death threats from sectarian morons (e.g. Anton Rogan, Neil Lennon, Chris Baird, Pat McCourt, Niall McGinn)

I believe it's also to do with the ability to get a passport - anyone born on the island of Ireland can claim an Irish passport, so therefore can play for Ireland.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 pm

JonScam wrote:The Mcclean story that came out today were he's jumped ship to the Republic after playing for NI at various age grade levels, highlighted a FIFA rule that any playing born on the island (if Ireland) can choose which flag they want to play for - nit sure how commonly known this is...I didnt have a clue about it???

The stats show there have been a list of players who've chosen Republic after growing up in NI, but no players have made the move in the opposite direction.

I dont like the rule, where does the rule end? Could an argument be presented for similar opportunities for Welsh and English players, as we're a principality? I fukn hope not..!

after the ethnic cleansing in the republic in the 1920's there are not many pro bitish prodies left in southern ireland to opt to play for NI

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:01 pm

MAESTEG BLUE wrote:
JonScam wrote:The Mcclean story that came out today were he's jumped ship to the Republic after playing for NI at various age grade levels, highlighted a FIFA rule that any playing born on the island (if Ireland) can choose which flag they want to play for - nit sure how commonly known this is...I didnt have a clue about it???

after the ethnic cleansing in the republic in the 1920's there are not many pro bitish prodies left in southern ireland to opt to play for NI

HAHAHAHA ethnic cleansing? What land are you living on

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:07 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
MAESTEG BLUE wrote:

HAHAHAHA ethnic cleansing? What land are you living on

what about the year of the disappearances in cork
like most things it got swept uder the carpet

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:07 pm

MAESTEG BLUE wrote:

:lol: my ex-gf is from Wicklow and she is protestant. nothing like ethnic cleansings there, never had any problems living in the south, unlike the trouble roman catholics had when trying to live in mixed or protestant communities north of the border...