Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff's taatic's vs West Ham

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 pm

When Malky Macky came to Cardiff City, I though he would bring a new style of play, but after watching the game yesterday I felt the style of play was like the DJ eara with loads long balls. Yesterday we gave to many long balls and we had no target man up front like last season we had Jay Bothroyd and whilst giving the long balls we lost so much possession. I also though we played differently from the friendlies to west ham game!

But at the end of the day we came away with 3 points however... Will this tattic work against other team?
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Cardiff's taatic's vs West Ham

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:26 pm

BluebirdCarwyn wrote:When Malky Macky came to Cardiff City, I though he would bring a new style of play, but after watching the game yesterday I felt the style of play was like the DJ eara with loads long balls. Yesterday we gave to many long balls and we had no target man up front like last season we had Jay Bothroyd and whilst giving the long balls we lost so much possession. I also though we played differently from the friendlies to west ham game!

But at the end of the day we came away with 3 points however... Will this tattic work against other team?
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

There were too many long balls, but generally from Gerrard and Hudson, to be
expected really from Centre-Backs. Also, West Ham had us under a lot of pressure
for parts of the game. Dont panic, Mackay plays a passing game. Yesterday was
just a means to an end away from home

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:28 pm

west ham closed us down heavily and at times where we didnt have ny options our CB played it long, its all we can do.

how you can judge on one game surprises me, there a premier league team arguably stronger than last year.

and we played a 4-4-2, there artn many others ways a 442 can look. there will be lots of different layouts this year im sure of it

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:28 pm

I thought our system and the way we went about playing yesterday was spot on, worked a treat :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:35 pm

There comes a time when you have to use the long ball situation and that is when you are being pressed back. Generally I thought we played the ball well from defence to midfield to attack and noticed we actually competed quite well against perhaps the strongest midfield in the league.

However the biggest difference to the Dave Jones era was the substitutions. It totally threw WHU off the scent, making them defend more and relying on conter attacks were before then they were having the edge in midfield, expected, with most of the play in our half. The substitutions saw the game move to WHU half with us getting the winner. :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I don't thInk we passed enough though and gave possession away to easy. We need 2 more players in, 1 player who is a play maker like Whitts and second player whos like a dog in midfield who will fight for every ball to win possession for us

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:37 pm

jezzy666 wrote:west ham closed us down heavily and at times where we didnt have ny options our CB played it long, its all we can do.

Agreed, they were chasing the ball down from the front and made us make a few mistakes at the back leaving us with only smashing it clear at some times, eventually they tired and that allowed us to counter more! at home it'll be much different and hopefully we can play the game we want to!

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 pm

math_robz878 wrote:
jezzy666 wrote:west ham closed us down heavily and at times where we didnt have ny options our CB played it long, its all we can do.

Agreed, they were chasing the ball down from the front and made us make a few mistakes at the back leaving us with only smashing it clear at some times, eventually they tired and that allowed us to counter more! at home it'll be much different and hopefully we can play the game we want to!

I think we will be more calm and play more flowing soccer at home

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:46 pm

BluebirdCarwyn wrote:I don't thInk we passed enough though and gave possession away to easy. We need 2 more players in, 1 player who is a play maker like Whitts and second player whos like a dog in midfield who will fight for every ball to win possession for us

Well of course we didnt pass enough, of course we gave the ball away too often. But we
were playing (to all intents and purposes) a Premier League team... Now ask yourself...
How often did West Ham kick the ball straight out of play and lose possession? quite a
bit i'd say. So overall, OUR pressing game came up trumps against the best team we'll
play all season!!

And we won 1-0

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm

we had to play long balls which no doubt was malkys game plan as we were up against a premiership quality midfield the p;lan i think was to by-pass them instead of getting into a battle with them?
against lesser teams we will no doubt play a more passing game in midfield. i think malky has a plan A .B ,C we just aint used to it lol :lol:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Jinks has hit it. We were playing against a 5 man Premiership midfield. Out-passing them wasn't really the best way to go. We still had a go but at times we had no choice but to hoof ball. Sometimes you have to win ugly! :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:49 pm

why does everyone keep saying west ham are a premiership club THEY ARE NOT they weren't good enough and judging their performance yesterday their not good enough for the championship.there has been a lot of mention of our long balls but west ham played numerous long ball that rolled harmlessly into touch.
thought gunnarson's passing both short and long was terrible lets hope when he is fit mr kiss can bring a bit more quality.
of nthe outfield players thought whitts was by far the most talented looking player on view and marshall gave his best display in goal

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:04 pm

barrybluebird wrote:why does everyone keep saying west ham are a premiership club THEY ARE NOT they weren't good enough and judging their performance yesterday their not good enough for the championship.there has been a lot of mention of our long balls but west ham played numerous long ball that rolled harmlessly into touch.
thought gunnarson's passing both short and long was terrible lets hope when he is fit mr kiss can bring a bit more quality.
of nthe outfield players thought whitts was by far the most talented looking player on view and marshall gave his best display in goal

So, in your opinion, what would be the best team in the Championship on paper :shock:

In midfield alone Nolan and Parker are the best midfield players outside the Prem and Noble, Taylor and Collison ain't too shabby either. Upfront they've got Cole or Piquionne, Tompkins is a future England CB and Green is a current England keeper. They've also signed Carew and there will be more coming in.

Our closing down is what did it today and for once I would say we looked fitter than an Allardyce team who prides himself on that type of approach. Gunarsson did the dirty work in midfield and whilst he can sometimes be wasteful in possession no opposing CMs will have much time on the ball against him which is exactly his role and why Malky has paired him with Whitts :ayatollah:

Great display by all 14 who played, even those not having the best of games kept running and got their rewards (e.g. Miller) :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:15 pm

The reason we were playing so many long balls was to cut out the west ham midfield. We were never going to be able to play through them so we ad to miss them out and win the 2nd balls and look to attack from there.