Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

IF ONLY SOUTH WALES HAD BACKED HIM LIKE WE PROMISED

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Everyone told Sam including myself, give us Success and Ninian Park will be filled to the Rafters and people will be begging to come in, well that never happened even after 2 Promotions and Top players playing for us.
Even when we played Westham, Sunderland etc we still never Sold out.
If only 3,000 extra fans had turned up every game, we would never have got in financial trouble, Only My Opinion.

Re: IF ONLY SOUTH WALES HAD BACKED HIM LIKE WE PROMISED

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Everyone told Sam including myself, give us Success and Ninian Park will be filled to the Rafters and people will be begging to come in, well that never happened even after 2 Promotions and Top players playing for us.
If only 3,000 extra fans had turned up every game, we would never have got in financial trouble, Only My Opinion.

something I said earlier today too, Sam never had the full backing of our fans like he should have :x

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Everyone told Sam including myself, give us Success and Ninian Park will be filled to the Rafters and people will be begging to come in, well that never happened even after 2 Promotions and Top players playing for us.

something I said earlier today too, Sam never had the full backing of our fans like he should have :x

why do you think that was ?

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:40 pm

aye i agree such a shame it's taken this long to get regular 20,000 crowds .

mind you sam did get it upto about 15,000 regs from a paltry 7-8,000

remember that march we were about to embark on down the landsdowne , even the tele cameras were there to film it but got called off last minute just before sam came and we all said then if he came we would fill ninian every week !

how wrong we were :evil:

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:55 pm

got to disagee with you annis i know u are friends with him but sam hamman but he run up huge debts on buying average players and a dream of a stadium that he couldnt fund, then borrowed money from his own company langstone to pay off his mismanagment thinking he would make a huge profit on the intrest ,the public had enough of the lie's the same as pr now,remenber sam saying earnie wouldnt be sold then two weeks later he was gone black friday as well ? sam and pr have fucked this club over they are both buisnssmen and dont give a f**k about ccfc or the fans the sooner a take over happens th better we need rid of these two leeches fast :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:58 pm

wez 1927 wrote:

got to disagee with you annis i know u are friends with him but sam hamman but he run up huge debts on buying average players and a dream of a stadium that he couldnt fund, then borrowed money from his own company langstone to pay off his mismanagment thinking he would make a huge profit on the intrest ,the public had enough of the lie's the same as pr now,remenber sam saying earnie wouldnt be sold then two weeks later he was gone black friday as well ? sam and pr have fucked this club over they are both buisnssmen and dont give a f**k about ccfc or the fans the sooner a take over happens th better we need rid of these two leeches fast :ayatollah:

Wez, I respect your Opinion, but you cant even compare them with each other, I promise you I have got to know the 2 of them, and Sam is totally the opposite to PR, Yes Sam did some bad things, but he really does care for us, Terry and PR told you all a pack of lies. Like I said I respect your Opinion.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez 1927 wrote:

Wez, I respect your Opinion, but you cant even compare them with each other, I promise you I have got to know the 2 of them, and Sam is totally the opposite to PR, Yes Sam did some bad things, but he really does care for us, Terry and PR told you all a pack of lies. Like I said I respect your Opinion.

sam was an enigma to me sometimes funny and charming and on other times behaved like a bully and a dictator but he did love the club that i have no doubt about.
To compare him to pr is an insult to sam because pr has only ever been in the club for one reason and one reason only and that is to line his own pockets even now in hopefully his last days at the club he is trying to hold out for a payday when he has come closer to killing this club than sam ever did

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez 1927 wrote:

thats why i like this board everyones opinion is respected not like other boards :D both sam and pr as bad as each other hopfully the new owners will respect the fans a bit more :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:17 pm

3000 extra fans, what would that be - around £800k a year? Wouldn't have made a huge amount of difference, would have been better off with one less high earner! I understand what you're saying, but I woudn't say he wasn't backed.

carlccfc wrote:something I said earlier today too, Sam never had the full backing of our fans like he should have :x

Didn't our crowds increase quite a lot though? I wouldn't say Sam didn't have good backing. We can't have that many glory hunters surely :lol:

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Think it would have needed more than that.

IF he had delivered the stadium then the 3000 extra wouldnt have been a problem. He also didnt do enough to encourage families.

A family is 3-5 fans, wheras a bloke going to the game without them is 1. Thats why clubs like Norwich have such big gates without having populous catchment areas.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:52 pm

I just wrote the very same thing on that other thread you started.

When he was on about playing in green, I said to Sam that I didn't care if we played in pink as long as we got success on the field and that if we did, the crowds would come flocking back.

Great minds think alike? Well, we were both wrong so maybe not. :lol:

Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:00 am

Sam promised us a new stadium and he also employed Ridsdale to see it thru , which happened . Sam in my opinion became overwhelmed with CCFC and splashed the cash without thinkin about it which we paid for on black Friday . Ridsdale on the other hand hasnt splashed the cash but has totally mismanaged ALL money we've had in from millions of pounds worth of transfer sales , maybe underbudgetted and overspent on CCS and chose to ignore the majority of creditors so to keep Langstone happy . I also believe that never in a million years would Sam ever demand ALL the money back and put the club under , he just wouldnt do it . Didnt Ridsdale say at the Brunswick that 18,000 wa our breakeven figure for the season ?? :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:04 am

Sam and PR may be opposites, but they have one thing in common. They can't run a football club

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:52 am

But the title of this thread is 'IF ONLY SOUTH WALES HAD BACKED HIM LIKE WE PROMISED', and I have to agree with the opening points made. I don't see what the arguments are against that.
We all used to think that Cardiff city was a sleeping giant, we were wrong.
We used to base this on the fact that if Cardiff had 1 or 2 big home games in the 90's when we were in the dungeon
games such as Burnley or Plymouth we would raise a crowd. What I failed to throw into this melting pot was 2 x weeks later the crowd would be back to normal .... where did they all go?
A good example of this is, the Hereford crowd in 1976 - nearly 36,000, next home game, a vital one against Swindon, crowd 23,000. That's a 13,000 drop. Scary isn't it.
We were dilluding ourselves into thinking we were a sleeping Newcastle, Sunderland etc. when the facts are, at best we are a Blackburn, Stoke or Bolton.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:50 pm

we have never been a big club and never will be

against leeds we had 20000 plus

beat them in a fantastic game

then only a few days later half of them vanish when we play peterborough

a lot of people call themselves cardiff fans but hardly ever go !!

my mate went for the first season after the qpr promotion game...and aint been back since !!

hes still wears his city top

incredible really ...but south wales is full of these people

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:53 pm

ridsdales lied and so did sam hammam why cant we just get a new owner and leave these pair in the past

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:56 pm

brumaway85 wrote:But the title of this thread is 'IF ONLY SOUTH WALES HAD BACKED HIM LIKE WE PROMISED', and I have to agree with the opening points made. I don't see what the arguments are against that.
We used to base this on the fact that if Cardiff had 1 or 2 big home games in the 90's when we were in the dungeon
games such as Burnley or Plymouth we would raise a crowd. What I failed to throw into this melting pot was 2 x weeks later the crowd would be back to normal .... where did they all go?
A good example of this is, the Hereford crowd in 1976 - nearly 36,000, next home game, a vital one against Swindon, crowd 23,000. That's a 13,000 drop. Scary isn't it.
We were dilluding ourselves into thinking we were a sleeping Newcastle, Sunderland etc. when the facts are, at best we are a Blackburn, Stoke or Bolton.

the writing was on the wall as soon as we got back to the championship

first game back for 17 years

16421 against bradford

who brought around 500 fans

so less than 16000

we are not a big club in any way

it really hurts , but thats the way it is

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:05 pm

brumaway85 wrote:But the title of this thread is 'IF ONLY SOUTH WALES HAD BACKED HIM LIKE WE PROMISED', and I have to agree with the opening points made. I don't see what the arguments are against that.

I think thats spot on

barnet also saw a big crowd when we were in the old fourth but hal;f of them just vanished

its a south wales thing

cardiff rugby get good crowds when they play big teams ...then back to one man and his dog

big teams are newcastle, sunderland , leeds

then comes derby , forest

then comes us , bolton , blackburn, burnley , bristol city etc

shame , but thats how it is

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Ticket prices don't bloody help

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:22 pm

the main difference i can see is that sam put his own cash in (although in some way or another hes getting some of it back) whereas all the riddler has done is take from the club. completely different personalities, i have respect for sam for where he took us from and to, but not for much more. Whereas i dont really have any respect for the riddler, hes run the club worse than walford car lot.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:53 pm

I dont think there is any doubt that we were showed up as a club when the crowds didnt turn up under sam

sure, they increased but they simply were not good enough

the fa cup final gave us more clues

people all over the place asking for tickets , yet they would be on the radio saying they didnt go down very much !!!

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:58 pm

The Club could have done a bit more to market itself in that period, and that remains the same today. You can't blame the public. Re-building a brand and attracting followers takes time and the Club needs to play its part.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:19 pm

If he had appointed a decent manager instead of yes men he wouldnt have had to spend half the money he threw away and a lot of people stayed away because of the man.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Annis,

I am afraid that your numbers simply do not add up.

SH was reckless in his spending and got what he deserved in the end.

Mike

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:47 pm

annis do you expect every1 to suck up to your opinons??
sam was taking us nowhere there would be no new stadium (good or bad) if he had stayed.
the man loved the club fair do`s but you cant run a club with the mentality of a fan ;)
all he was gonna do is get us deeper in the shit.