Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Perspective on 'How long the team should take to gel'

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:10 am

I've just posted this reply on Caerblues sticky, however I thought I'd start a topic on it because what I've written takes a slightly different direction to the topic:

Re: the season ahead?
by JonScam ยป Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:04 pm
caerblue wrote:
i dont buy into all this new manager and new side we need time to gel talk going around,we had time to gel as a team in pre season and as for a new manager,if we had sacked dave jones half way through last season would we all then say our promotion chances have now gone??????????,for me promotion this season is a must be it auotmatic or via play offs

I agree. These are professionals who spend all week together. Yes this is a 'new' team in effect, however this is what they do, theyre paid to do it, theyve spend the vast majority of their lives doing it.

A team in any other workplace does not need weeks or months to productively operate the manner in which those managing it intend. It shouldnt be any different for footballers.

The issue or yardstick for success pivots how strong your management team are? How effective are they in communicating their strategies/objectives? Are they able to staple a structure within their team and the wider organisational community that imposes the intended culture?

Malky has been given every opportunity to fully compliment his targetted personnel both within his management team and player base. Parallel with this opportunity comes the expectation, which considering the aforementioned equals promotion for me.

I appreciate the acid test is on the pitch, and for the players to accustomise their approach and play to Malky's style and philosophy they may well need one or two games in the competitve environment. However the point being this is a matter of days, not weeks, not months, not seasons IMO.

In summary, the expectation for me is to actively challenge for promotion

CAERPHILLY BLUES