Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Can Earnie Complete an Unprecendented Hat Trick?

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:54 am

Earnie is the only playet to have scored hat tricks at all domestic levels of professional football as well as international football...but can he make an unprecendented hat trick achievement by also earning a hat trick of promotions with the mighty Bluebirds also, to add to his hat trick record?

Anythings possible, and as detailed in the interview below with the Echo you would be a fairly brave man to bet against him and Kenny scoring a load of goals this year. Cant wait for tomorrow, theres something special about this years approach to the new season - lets hope it carries all the way through :ayatollah:

Robert Earnshaw promises goals will flow for Bluebirds
by Delme Parfitt, South Wales Echo
Aug 6 2011
Add a comment
Recommend
ROBERT Earnshaw is ready to go into battle with strike partner Kenny Miller, saying: “We understand each other.”

The union between Wales and Scotland, each captain of their national team, will spearhead Cardiff City’s bid to prise all three points from West Ham United at Upton Park tomorrow (1pm).

“We are both experienced players and that will help us,” said Earnshaw, who spent time playing alongside Miller while they were both at Derby County.

They started only five games alongside each other, but Earnie says: “With the experience I have gained over the last 10 to 15 years, it really doesn’t matter who I play with as long as there is an understanding.

“Kenny and I have that. The manager (Malky Mackay) will tell us what he wants and how he feels we can beat the opposition.

“It’s exciting. I can’t wait to get started alongside Kenny.

“I have come to Cardiff City with one main aim and that is to do the business and help Cardiff City earn promotion. Kenny is the same and we’ll give it everything we have.”

Earnshaw, who grew up in the Bedwas area near Caerphilly and joined Cardiff City as a schoolboy, has returned to the Bluebirds, needing two goals to complete 200 in his career.

He is among those Cardiff players to have fired more than a century for the club, but won’t say whether he has set a personal goals target.

“I just want to score as many as possible,” he says. “Kenny and I both enjoy scoring goals and we’ll be doing all we can to do that.”

Earnshaw thought long and hard about returning to Cardiff City.

There was never a question in his mind that he wanted to come home, but the former Derby County and Nottingham Forest striker wanted to make sure it was for the right football reasons and not for emotional factors.

“It took a little time to decide, but that wasn’t because it was difficult,” said Earnshaw.

“I wanted it to be for all the right reasons. It was crucial I played this season at the best place for my football.

“I talked at length with manager Malky Mackay about the future, how he saw things. I took time to let it all sink in and it wasn’t hard. Cardiff City was in my heart, always the right place. I’m certain this is the right club for Robert Earnshaw.”

The big target for Cardiff City is again promotion, but Earnshaw knows from experience how tough that will be.

He played for the Bluebirds when they were promoted from League Two – and again for the 2003 play-off final victory against Queens Park Rangers which lifted them into the Championship.

Now he’s back to complete a hat-trick by helping Cardiff City go up again, this time to the Premier League.

Earnshaw attended a fans forum in midweek, joining manager Mackay and captain Mark Hudson at a meeting attended by more than 250 people, and was asked: “Who will be the surprise team this season?”

“Hopefully we are the surprise team and that surprise is promotion,” said Earnshaw. “Whatever we achieve we are going to have to work hard for.

“The key is where we are at the end of this season"