Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

the season ahead?

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:36 am

i dont buy into all this new manager and new side we need time to gel talk going around,we had time to gel as a team in pre season and as for a new manager,if we had sacked dave jones half way through last season would we all then say our promotion chances have now gone??????????,for me promotion this season is a must be it auotmatic or via play offs :ayatollah:

Re: the season ahead?

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:22 am

I think by expecting promotions you are expecting way too much. Let me explain why:

I understand the argument for instance that under Dave Jones we reached the playoffs twice, and yes this is true. However, to expect the same this year is way too much to expect. A couple of nothing games definately isn't enough time to gel, they'll need longer. They are players who need to know each other perfectly, and have only ever played a few games together before. It takes time.

I'm not necessarily saying that you're of the opinion that Malky HAS to do better than Dave Jones THIS year to justify his replacing Jones, however I suspect that you are. My answer to this would be that we had gone as far as we could have under Jones, and he needed to go. There needed to be a huge overhaul in our club, to be honest probably a year too late. The wage bill needed to be cut, the pre-madonnas needed to go, and a new team and team spirit needed to be forged. I think a season of mid table is a small price to pay.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:04 am

caerblue wrote:i dont buy into all this new manager and new side we need time to gel talk going around,we had time to gel as a team in pre season and as for a new manager,if we had sacked dave jones half way through last season would we all then say our promotion chances have now gone??????????,for me promotion this season is a must be it auotmatic or via play offs :ayatollah:

I agree. These are professionals who spend all week together. Yes this is a 'new' team in effect, however this is what they do, theyre paid to do it, theyve spend the vast majority of their lives doing it.

A team in any other workplace does not need weeks or months to productively operate the manner in which those managing it intend. It shouldnt be any different for footballers.

The issue or yardstick for success pivots how strong your management team are? How effective are they in communicating their strategies/objectives? Are they able to staple a structure within their team and the wider organisational community that imposes the intended culture?

Malky has been given every opportunity to fully compliment his targetted personnel both within his management team and player base. Parallel with this opportunity comes the expectation, which considering the aforementioned equals promotion for me.

I appreciate the acid test is on the pitch, and for the players to accustomise their approach and play to Malky's style and philosophy they may well need one or two games in the competitve environment. However the point being this is a matter of days, not weeks, not months, not seasons IMO.

In summary, the expectation for me is to actively challenge for promotion :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:17 am

To be honest I'd be well happy with making the play offs again this season, get into the play offs and anything is possible. Still would love to see Bellamy plus 2 more brought in though. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:20 am

Agree. We want promotion anything else is a step backwards. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:31 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54867

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:42 am

I dont fall for the "we need time to gell". The reason I dont is the fact these sort of excuses hang around just too long. That is when things are not going to plan you will here the saying many many times until eventually it wears thin and the damage is done that things cannot be ammended.

I agree a yardstick is needed to gell. That is SOME time should be allowed. MM has been given what he asked for and the best way to explain that is he now has his Watford dream side that put 4 past us last season. Well I would say quite a bit of the nucleaus of that side in Taylor, Conway and Cowie. He had Buckly and Graham last season but I fele he has got ample replacement there in Millar and Whittingham. If Bellamy comes back he, which I believe he will, he will have his dream team.

I just feel the first 10 games are going to be so important. If he can get the team to dwell then expect a good season.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:54 am

I want us to win every game!! But I don't expect it!.. It will take at least a cple mnths before mm has tried diff players and formations, I would love to see us up in top 2 through out the season but again i certainly don't expect it, if we get Bellamy and 2 more quality players I think we will be in with a shout but defiantly playoffs, if we are top ten at crimbo with a team that are improving and playing with passion I will be one happy bluebird.. :ayatollah: He knows the way coz he is malky makay :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Let's be fair our team has changed so much we will be a bit of a surprise package.

So rather than hanging around talking about 'gelling' and 'learning curves' we should be looking to take advantage of our unknown qualities.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:33 pm

caerblue wrote:i dont buy into all this new manager and new side we need time to gel talk going around,we had time to gel as a team in pre season and as for a new manager,if we had sacked dave jones half way through last season would we all then say our promotion chances have now gone??????????,for me promotion this season is a must be it auotmatic or via play offs :ayatollah:

f**k me, at last someone with the aspirations what we should expect from a multiple million pound industry. I expect no less every season, and those who say this is a building season are still living in the dark ages, this league is easiest to get out of.
All this talk of this season being tougher than last year are talking drivel, I cannot stand those jack bastards, but their teams much better than any team that has comedown, that coupled with quality teams of Norwich and qpr, to me this league is easier to get out of.
come on city fans get real, if we don't go up - no problem, but at least set your own targets high and that will then be passed on to the team through our support.
Great post Carr lie, we are on the same level :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:37 pm

in my opinion we should be aiming higher than what Dave Jones has achieved and thats promotion anything less and we might aswell have kept DJ just my opinion :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:59 pm

hooligan858 wrote:I think by expecting promotions you are expecting way too much. Let me explain why:

I understand the argument for instance that under Dave Jones we reached the playoffs twice, and yes this is true. However, to expect the same this year is way too much to expect. A couple of nothing games definately isn't enough time to gel, they'll need longer. They are players who need to know each other perfectly, and have only ever played a few games together before. It takes time.

I'm not necessarily saying that you're of the opinion that Malky HAS to do better than Dave Jones THIS year to justify his replacing Jones, however I suspect that you are. My answer to this would be that we had gone as far as we could have under Jones, and he needed to go. There needed to be a huge overhaul in our club, to be honest probably a year too late. The wage bill needed to be cut, the pre-madonnas needed to go, and a new team and team spirit needed to be forged. I think a season of mid table is a small price to pay.

fair enough with your comments about the team gelling but they have trained together as well its not just the pre season games,i understand they might be a bit rusty but a footballer should really know all about positions and the plays they tend to make during a game,am i right???????????,there are not many teams well to be honest i dont think there will be one side who start this season with exactly the same team as they ended last year,and in reality yes i am saying that malky HAS to do better than dave jones because other wise there was no point in getting rid of him in the first place,i do agree dj had taken us as far as he could :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:51 pm

mid table to ply offs for me dont think this side is as strong as last years but hey who am i lets get ready for the ride enjoy :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:18 pm

f*cking champions or I wont be happy :lol:

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:07 am

BEEP AHM wrote:f*cking champions or I wont be happy :lol:

without losing a game :lol: :lol: :lol: