Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

4-4 vs Peterborough, Gerrard came to clap fans and got booed

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:13 pm

I'm sure anyone who went to watch this game a few season's back will remember it well, and not for the right reasons...

One thing that sticks in my mind though was that at the end of the game, when every other player had slumped off after we went from 4-0 up to 4-4 in the space of a half, Anthony Gerrard made a point of coming over and clapping the fans...

I'm not exaggerating now, most of the fans next to me were either booing him or doing the "hand-wanker" sign towards him and shouting only the type of abuse i would expect to hear our fans shout at a Jack...

I know, i know, this was exceptional circumstances after such a bad 2nd half performance... but i remember making a point of clapping Gerrard that day, even though he'd just played awfully along with the rest of the defence, simply because he was the only one that could be bothered coming over to ackonwledge the fans after the game...

So with what Hudson said today about appreciating the fans more, my point is, if they do start coming over to the away fans or staying out a bit longer at the home games.. even if we have just been hammered or something, lets get behind them and show that it's the little things like this which, i admit were lacking under DJ, that the fans really appreciate :ayatollah:

let's not boo them, shout at them, or abuse them, they're all Cardiff players and i'm sure Malky Mackay will make sure they give 100% every minute of every game this season because that's the impression ive gotten of him... let's all pull together and then maybe, just maybe, even with a questionably less talented squad than last year, we can actually go one step further than that squad did :ayatollah:

and if we don't... let's prove we're all real Cardiff fans anyway, through thick and thin, and support our players :ayatollah: and then hopefully, they will make the effort back :ayatollah:

Re: 4-4 vs Peterborough, Gerrard came to clap fans and got booed

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 pm

I liked the interview with Gerrard the other day saying that there is a really good vibe in the camp, everyone getting on well together, enjoying training, no cliques etc, clearly a dig at how things were under DJ.

It was also noticable that we did a huddle before the Celtic game, and that was just a friendly!
I'm not a huge fan of all this huddling before games and of course we usually boo the oppostion when they do it, but it was good to see that maybe there is some team spirit this season.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm

Didn't we do that high five thing under DJ before every game just after the captain finished the coin toss? Lets hope the boys get on and if they do go out for one night on the town, they do it together as team bonding on a free night when the manager say's so, not when they decide they can splash the cash. :)

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:51 pm

harold pinta wrote:I liked the interview with Gerrard the other day saying that there is a really good vibe in the camp, everyone getting on well together, enjoying training, no cliques etc, clearly a dig at how things were under DJ.

It was also noticable that we did a huddle before the Celtic game, and that was just a friendly!
I'm not a huge fan of all this huddling before games and of course we usually boo the oppostion when they do it, but it was good to see that maybe there is some team spirit this season.

The malaysions wanted the huddle from last season but Bellamy and a couple of other players, said that they didn't want to do it so therefore they didn't, I think now some of the 'bigger names' have gone, the squad have agreed to it

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:24 pm

harold pinta wrote:I liked the interview with Gerrard the other day saying that there is a really good vibe in the camp, everyone getting on well together, enjoying training, no cliques etc, clearly a dig at how things were under DJ.

let's hope so :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:26 am

jonbluebird wrote:

The malaysions wanted the huddle from last season but Bellamy and a couple of other players, said that they didn't want to do it so therefore they didn't, I think now some of the 'bigger names' have gone, the squad have agreed to it

The last time I did a huddle as captain I said something like: "This is pretty gay hey lads?" The lads pretty much responded by saying "Yeah Fergy". I ended it and we got back to doing the normal "f*cking get into him you lazy c**t" at eachother instead during the game.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 am

Fergy1927 wrote:
jonbluebird wrote:

The last time I did a huddle as captain I said something like: "This is pretty gay hey lads?" The lads pretty much responded by saying "Yeah Fergy". I ended it and we got back to doing the normal "f*cking get into him you lazy c**t" at eachother instead during the game.

i'm really not a fan off huddles to be honest

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:03 am

That game was an exception to normality.

I recall Gerrard clapping us and he looked more stunned than what we were all feeling. Unfortunately for him he took the abuse for the rest of the team. At the time I was furious and could have quite easily booed him but I did not. I'm glad now I didn't because I can only admire him for what he did.

Coupleof months later we played at Preston and had a disaster of a game. We lost 3-0 to a 10 man team letting in the most comical goal of the season, an Enks special. After the game Bothroyd and a couple of others came over to applaud us. I found this strange because they hardly ever did this even after a win. So to do it after an embarrassing lost was strange. Instead of calling them prats you felt like going up to them and asking what the hell was the problem.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 pm

f**k all wrong with the huddle. The manager has had his say in the dressing room...

its the Captains way of telling the lads HE'S in charge now, and wont accept any less
than 100%... all it does is get them a bit fired up before kick-off.

Did we concede three goals in 20 minutes to Middlesborough in one of the most
important home games in decades or did we not??....

erm i think we did.

So f**k Dave Jones