Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DJ in WARNING TO MM - Disagree ????? I dont

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:00 am

Dave Jones' Cardiff City expectation warning to Malky Mackay
Page last updated at 10:09 GMT, Thursday, 4 August 2011 11:09 UK
E-mail this to a friendPrintable version Coca Cola Championship - West Ham United v Cardiff CityVenue: Upton ParkDate: Sunday, 7 August Kick-off: 1300 BSTCoverage: Watch exclusively live on BBC One & online, full commentary on BBC Radio Wales and live text commentary online.
Dave Jones was the Championship's longest-serving manager Dave Jones has warned his managerial successor Malky Mackay that Cardiff City fans will expect the Welsh club to be Premier League promotion candidates.

Jones was sacked as Bluebirds boss after three consecutive Championship play-off disappointments.

"The expectation levels from fans will be if you get rid of a manager, you bring in a manager that has got to do better," said Jones.

"Fans will expect them to be up there as they have been there for six years."

Jones guided Cardiff to the 2008 FA Cup final before losing to Portsmouth and he returned to Wembley in 2010 when the Bluebirds lost the Championship play-off final to Blackpool.

Continue reading the main story
If you change a manager in a football club, you'll be looking to do better things as you don't change a manager to do less
Dave Jones

Former Cardiff City manager
Mackay has been forced to rebuild his Cardiff squad since replacing Jones in June as 12 players left the Welsh club following their play-off semi-final defeat to Reading in May.

Top-scorer Jay Bothroyd and fellow striker Michael Chopra - who scored 31 goals between them last season - have departed while 11-goal Craig Bellamy has returned to Manchester City after his loan spell.

Mackay has added nine players - including strikers Rob Earnshaw and Kenny Miller - to revamp the depleted Cardiff squad but as Jones points-out: "They have lost a lot of goals.

"They have brought in Earnie and Kenny.

"I brought Kenny down here from Rangers when he was 20 to Wolves, but he has been out of the English game a long time.

"I brought Lee Naylor down and you could see that Lee had been away from the English game for a long time.

"Playing for Rangers and Celtic, a lot of the games are very easy so you get into that easy mode and all of a sudden you come down to the English game where you have to earn your living again....and it took a bit of time."

Mackay begins his Cardiff reign at Upton Park on Sunday where the Bluebirds face a strong West Ham United side who are among the favourites for immediate promotion back to the Premier League.

But in his first interview since leaving Cardiff, Jones told BBC Sport: "They [Cardiff] need to get off to a good start.

"There is a little bit of talk of consolidation, but they have done that for the last six years. The pressure is there, regardless of what anybody says.

"If you change a manager in a football club, and I don't care what football club it is, you'll be looking to do better things as you don't change a manager to do less.

"Regardless of what they say and whether they are going to give him time, it is a club where success is expected and you've got to deliver.

"And unfortunately the one prize they wanted, I just missed out on."

Re: DJ in WARNING TO MM - Disagree ????? I dont

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:09 am

What a load of bollox. I will be quite happy to watch a team that works and tries hard and show some passion to the club and fans. I will be happy to have a manager that shows some emotion and can admit to the occasional.mistake and not look to blame others. Someone who can bind us all together and all feel part of things whether good or bad we will all be united and a part of it. I want some honesty and togetherness and if its premiership or campionship,i'll take that.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22 am

Whether we like it or not gents , all the blather abar consolidation , passion on the pitch , team ethic , too many egos , where the blame lies etc etc as far as Im concerned is a bag o' bollux . The Malaysians have brought MM to the club to do one thing - get us into the EPL . If we dont go up this season the fans will be on Malky's back as they were on Dave Jones' - the expectation bar has been raised ova the last 6 years or so all fans both plastics and week inners & outtas see anything other than promo as failure ! I fear if we dont get off to a belta of a start it's only a matter of time before the call for heads to roll begins . All the best Malky ! :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22 am

BigGwynram wrote: a team that works and tries hard and show some passion to the club and fans. I will be happy to have a manager that shows some emotion and can admit to the occasional.mistake and not look to blame others. Someone who can bind us all together and all feel part of things whether good or bad we will all be united and a part of it. I want some honesty and togetherness.

You need them qualities before you can even start thinking of promotion

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 am

I personally will give Malkay 100% support and while the players are showing 1005 commitment to the shirt i'll be happy. This in itself will probably be enough with the squad we have plus 2 or 3 more promised to see us challenge in teh top half of the table. To me this is success this year, what the Malaysians say may be a different matter.
In my eyes the fact we have a manager showing passion and TALKING to the media and fans (rather than slagging them off) suggests a lot of the problems from the last 6 years will be history.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:55 am

BigGwynram wrote:What a load of bollox. I will be quite happy to watch a team that works and tries hard and show some passion to the club and fans. I will be happy to have a manager that shows some emotion and can admit to the occasional.mistake and not look to blame others. Someone who can bind us all together and all feel part of things whether good or bad we will all be united and a part of it. I want some honesty and togetherness and if its premiership or campionship,i'll take that.

Though I agree with your sentiment I also agree with what Jones has said.If we're eight points adrift of the playoff positions come christmas I think there will be loads of abuse aimed at the club and a lot of it comming from this forum.I also think if anyone else had made this statement you may have looked what was said in a different light.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:57 am

If team will show commitment and heart, I won't be slagging MM off or anything. Last December every smart person could see that with the way team performs we had no chance at autos, so a bunch of people started a campaign on this board, but to no avail. We were right after all.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:00 pm

So you would be happier mid table with Malky as manager than in the play offs with Dave Jones still as manager. Anything as long as Dave Jones is not manager. What a load of bollocks you Dave Jones haters spout. I want to be up there looking for promotion every year or even better getting promotion. All this doing the ayatollah, showing appreciation to the fans etc etc is all fine but really a load of bollocks. It's results and where you finish in the table that matters and like it or not we finished consistently high in the table under Dave Jones and got to the FA Cup Final ( that's Cardiff City in the FA Cup Final by the way). Any one who will be happy in mid table just so long as Dave Jones isn't manager but we have this so called passion (or pashun as so many of you seem to prefer to spell it) just amaze me. But good luck to Malky. He may match or even surpass what Dave Jone consistently did at the club. But I'm not holding my breath and definitely wouldn't bet on it.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:01 pm

quadsas wrote:If team will show commitment and heart, I won't be slagging MM off or anything. Last December every smart person could see that with the way team performs we had no chance at autos, so a bunch of people started a campaign on this board, but to no avail. We were right after all.

You brought the club down you wankers, instead of getting behind the team.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Citysince1964 wrote:So you would be happier mid table with Malky as manager than in the play offs with Dave Jones still as manager. Anything as long as Dave Jones is not manager. What a load of bollocks you Dave Jones haters spout. I want to be up there looking for promotion every year or even better getting promotion. All this doing the ayatollah, showing appreciation to the fans etc etc is all fine but really a load of bollocks. It's results and where you finish in the table that matters and like it or not we finished consistently high in the table under Dave Jones and got to the FA Cup Final ( that's Cardiff City in the FA Cup Final by the way). Any one who will be happy in mid table just so long as Dave Jones isn't manager but we have this so called passion (or pashun as so many of you seem to prefer to spell it) just amaze me. But good luck to Malky. He may match or even surpass what Dave Jone consistently did at the club. But I'm not holding my breath and definitely wouldn't bet on it.

Excellent post

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:03 pm

polo wrote:
quadsas wrote:If team will show commitment and heart, I won't be slagging MM off or anything. Last December every smart person could see that with the way team performs we had no chance at autos, so a bunch of people started a campaign on this board, but to no avail. We were right after all.

I always support my team, but they all needed a change, DJ was already on fire at that point, but even my prayers didn't help him get sacked before it was too late.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:06 pm

I'm really not expecting promotion this season. DJ did a good job while he was here but what did he leave is with, half a team and a massif rebuilding process. It is going to take 2-3 months for this team to gel and the majority of fans I speak to, understand this. Yes we want to be in the Premiership but we want to do it the right way. I would rather us go up in 2-3 seasons and say there built on solid foundations rather than go up this season and come straight back down.

We have the right manager in charge at last, we will give him time

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:10 pm

quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:

I always support my team, but they all needed a change, DJ was already on fire at that point, but even my prayers didn't help him get sacked before it was too late.

You dont change the manager when your 2nd / 3rd int he league you deluded moron.

We narrowly missed out ffs. The way some people carry on Dave Jones was flirting with relegation in December.

Adn dont come back with "We had the best squad in the league we should have walked it" cos we f*cking didnt.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:11 pm

I believe we have a chance to get into playoffs, and even auto spots, if Leicester fails. We improved our defense and midfield, yes, we lost a lot of quality in forwards, but there's still a month left. My honest opinion would be play-offs, some people are little too pessimistic, we have a good squad with plenty of depth right now, and we still have money to spend, I'm quite optimistic, not as much as I were last season, but I am.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:13 pm

polo wrote:
quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:

You dont change the manager when your 2nd / 3rd int he league you deluded moron.

We narrowly missed out ffs. The way some people carry on Dave Jones was flirting with relegation in December.

Adn dont come back with "We had the best squad in the league we should have walked it" cos we f*cking didnt.

Yes you do change your manager when you are 2nd or 3rd, when team is playing as shit as they did around that time. Players didn't want to play for DJ, and that's what brought their morale down, they weren't appreciating fans etc. A new manager would've changed that, and December would've been the best time for a change.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:25 pm

quadsas wrote:
Yes you do change your manager when you are 2nd or 3rd, when team is playing as shit as they did around that time. Players didn't want to play for DJ, and that's what brought their morale down, they weren't appreciating fans etc. A new manager would've changed that, and December would've been the best time for a change.

Fair play mate,I'm f*cking speechless :shock: except to say I'm not a very important fan so I don't expect a blow job from the players or the manager past or present,though I seem to be in a minority. :roll:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 pm

quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:
quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:

Its called a bad patch you deluded c**t. Every team (Except maybe Barcelona) goes through them. You dont sack the manager every time you have a bad patch.

Players didnt want to play for DJ my arse. The only ones who have ever come out and said a bad word about him are those left out in the cold surprise surprise.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
quadsas wrote:

Fair play mate,I'm f*cking speechless :shock: except to say I'm not a very important fan so I don't expect a blow job from the players or the manager past or present,though I seem to be in a minority. :roll:

I didn't expect a blowjob either, but the fact that they didn't even clap meant that morale was very low in dressing room, that was my point.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:32 pm

polo wrote:
quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:
quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:

Its called a bad patch you deluded c**t. Every team (Except maybe Barcelona) goes through them. You dont sack the manager every time you have a bad patch.

Players didnt want to play for DJ my arse. The only ones who have ever come out and said a bad word about him are those left out in the cold surprise surprise.

what makes you think that players wanted to play for DJ? what about rumoured argument between him and Bellamy? Didn't DJ get angry after every loss and kept shouting at players?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:37 pm

quadsas wrote: what makes you think that players wanted to play for DJ? what about rumoured argument between him and Bellamy? Didn't DJ get angry after every loss and kept shouting at players?

Craig Bellamy in argument with his manager shocker :lol:

The players probably didnt want to play for a deluded c*nt like you. maybe thats why they were disconnected with fans cos cilly c*nts on message boards think they are more important than they really are.

Sadly, there are too many deluded c*nts like you down the City these days.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:39 pm

polo wrote:
quadsas wrote: what makes you think that players wanted to play for DJ? what about rumoured argument between him and Bellamy? Didn't DJ get angry after every loss and kept shouting at players?

The players probably didnt want to play for a deluded c*nt like you. maybe thats why they were disconnected with fans cos cilly c*nts on message boards think they are more important than they really are.

even players who are victims of racism clap their fans, whats your point? You can call me c**t as much as you want, but what you are saying is not true. Players don't care about one or two fans, who slag them off.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 pm

quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:

even players who are victims of racism clap their fans, whats your point? You can call me c**t as much as you want, but what you are saying is not true. Players don't care about one or two fans, who slag them off.

Now you are taking the piss?

A racially abused player should still clap the fans.

F*ck off you silly c*nt

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:42 pm

polo wrote:
quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:

F*ck off you silly c*nt

I didn't say they should. They do, because not everyone is a racist f**k.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:32 pm

quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:
quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:

F*ck off you silly c*nt

You obviously didnt see Roberto Carlos the other day then.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:34 pm

polo wrote:
quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:
quadsas wrote:
polo wrote:

F*ck off you silly c*nt

You obviously didnt see Roberto Carlos the other day then.

Yea, I know about Carlos, but pretty much every black person in Spanish/Italian leagues gets abuse but they still clap