Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The best match ever

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:50 am

What is the best ever Cardiff City match you have ever been to. Mine is either when we beat Barnsley 1-0 in the FA Cup final or when we beat Leicester in the play off semi final. For me probably Leicester because it was a very, very dramatic game. We got off well after a Michael Chopra goal and came close with a Peter Whittingham free kick. Then we were losing and I was devestated and I thought we were going to blow it but then Peter Whittingham pulled one back and Jay Bothroyd hit the bar. We won on penalties. The best match ever

Re: The best match ever

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:55 am

The Leeds FA Cup game :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:56 am

Johnny Rythmn wrote:The Leeds FA Cup game :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:59 am

Plymouth at home in the League Cup. 4-1 down at half time. Came back to win 5-4. Shame only 2500 were there. Superb game. It was also the last ever CCFC game for my Grandad who was an original Port Talbot Bluebird from the 20s.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:00 am

Leeds Cup Game
Sw**sea away last season which should of been 3 or 4 nil

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:08 am

best away game oldham away won 7-1 best cup game was leeds when we won 2-1 for emotions it would be leicester in semis last year that had everything

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 am

BluebirdForever wrote:What is the best ever Cardiff City match you have ever been to. Mine is either when we beat Barnsley 1-0 in the FA Cup final or when we beat Leicester in the play off semi final. For me probably Leicester because it was a very, very dramatic game. We got off well after a Michael Chopra goal and came close with a Peter Whittingham free kick. Then we were losing and I was devestated and I thought we were going to blow it but then Peter Whittingham pulled one back and Jay Bothroyd hit the bar. We won on penalties. The best match ever

That was the semi-final :lol: :lol:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:44 am

Wrexham in the FA cup in 1977 Wrexham equalised in the last minute in what had been an enthralling game and it looked like a replay back at the Racecourse then up popped John Buchanan with an injury time winner to send 3 sides of Ninian Park into delerium.

Also the famous 3-3 draw with the Jacks when they had Toshack in charge we were 3-1 down and hit back to draw 3-3 with John Buchanan scoring a 30 or was it 40 yard screamer to equalise :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Best away well our compehensive 1-0 win down the Liberty last season was superb at the time and was celebrated long and hard :D

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:48 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Plymouth at home in the League Cup. 4-1 down at half time. Came back to win 5-4. Shame only 2500 were there. Superb game. It was also the last ever CCFC game for my Grandad who was an original Port Talbot Bluebird from the 20s.

this was either my 1st or 2nd game... i was stood up in the corner between BB and the grange! what an awesome night!

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:51 pm

boro away in the Q/final, ended up doin 1500 miles round trip that w/end, check out the youtube vids for the atmosphere :ayatollah: it should also be remembered as the game that changed everything, it was our champs league final, for this alone dave jones should be remembered as a legend :ayatollah: but it was time to change the wallpaper so we can add even bigger games to the c.v :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:58 pm

bristol city away when we beat them 6-0 :lol:
"where youre programs gone" :D :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:09 pm

The FA Cup game against Man City in 94. when we beat them 1-0 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Leeds cup game and I dont think anything will come close again :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:32 pm

At Ninian - Man City in the cup. 94.

At CCS - Leicester and Jacks season before last are the two stand outs. Also the leicester league game that year (When Gypes rugby tackled vaughan). One of the few games at the CCS were the crowd got right behind the team.

Away - Wrexham 93 to seal promotion. My favourite team that year. prob cos id jsut statred supporting the City.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Well "I was there" when we beat double winners Spurs in 61 and also Real Madrid in 71 but for me the best game was v Middlesbrough in a Div 2 (2nd tier) an evening game in May 1966. Boro had to win to escape relegation and it was a must win game for us too as we were next-to bottom in the table, it was Boro's last game and although we had 2 games in hand this match was the crunch one. The match will always be remembered for the performance by winger Greg Farrell who turned on one of the greatest virtuoso displays ever seen at Ninian Park to help us win 5-3.

City must have expelled all their energy in this match for 3 days later they suffered their worst-ever post-war away defeat when they crashed 0-9 at Preston! In their final game of the season City lost again 0-2 at home to Norwich, so it just as well that they, and Greg Farrell in particular had turned it on against Middlesbrough.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:09 pm

leeds fa cup. :ayatollah: electric atmosphere. well before the game. singing from start to finish. and a great result.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:02 pm

over 30 years watching and nothing comes close to Leeds game

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Oh and best footy match of all time when the mighty reds came back in Istanbul v AC Milan :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:07 pm

BEEP AHM wrote:over 30 years watching and nothing comes close to Leeds game

For sheer atmosphere that game will live with me forever. I was at front of grange end near where kav took the corner. Total bedlum when Young's shot hit the net.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
BEEP AHM wrote:over 30 years watching and nothing comes close to Leeds game

For sheer atmosphere that game will live with me forever. I was at front of grange end near where kav took the corner. Total bedlum when Young's shot hit the net.

Atmosphere like no other mate, Block A grandstand me, people standing in aisles not enough seats brilliant, its a blur after Young scored :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 am

polo wrote:At Ninian - Man City in the cup. 94.

At CCS - Leicester and Jacks season before last are the two stand outs. Also the leicester league game that year (When Gypes rugby tackled vaughan). One of the few games at the CCS were the crowd got right behind the team.

Away - Wrexham 93 to seal promotion. My favourite team that year. prob cos id jsut statred supporting the City.

I agree that Leicester match the fans were 100% whereas last we would've started panicking we singing to back the team like a cup final, this is one of my faves.

* 6-1 hammering of Crewe
*4-1 hammering of West ham
* Chopra's last min goal against the Jacks
*Leicester in play off semi
*being 2-1 down agianst Leicester in the cup to winning 4-2

:ayatollah: