Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FAO - PTB

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Just wondering if you have a unrivalled hatred of Airdrie? do you blame them for where The Bankies are now or just the owners?

Re: FAO - PTB

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:30 pm

I know a few Airdrie boys now and it's hard to blame them for what happened. Some of their supporters were right up for it though and that's what angers me. There's 100 odd folk we can lay the blame on for what happened over a 6 year period to our club, but I hold the Airdrie chairman as culpable as anyone for what he did and how he did it. I wish them nothing but bad luck and it wouldn't sadden me one bit if they were to disappear, again. I despise that football club as much as I despise the old firm.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Yep me to, I don't have any affiliation to either club but what they did was downright disgusting. :old:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm glad others see it as we do.

The most disappointing thing for me was the lack of press coverage and it how it was just accepted by others. I still have to explain it to folk up here who had no idea of the background of it. Several clubs even voted in favour of it, and they are not forgotten either ;)

Watching AFC Wimbledon rise through divisions keeps giving us the incentive to try and follow their lead - hopefully we can obtain the facilities and regain our place in the Scottish League and upset a few people.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Airdrie = Jack Bastards & it doesn't get worse than that. :evil:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:37 pm

PTB, am I correct in my view on this whole farce?

Clydebank were in financial trouble so the current owner of Airdrie Utd came in after Airdrieonians went under and took advantage of Clydebank's financial turmoil to take them over and re-name them as Airdrie Utd?

If I am correct in thinking that, what an absolute c**t!

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:43 pm

PtB can you explain what Happened mate Cheers :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:PtB can you explain what Happened mate Cheers :ayatollah:

Pretty much as Zabier put it.

Clydebank were in administration as Airdrieonians were liquidated. Our supporters group(I was on the commitee at the time) along with a businessman were in talks with the administrator to buy CFC and had raised the price required. Airdrie United FC(a company that had been set up to apply for the vacancy in the Scottish League) approached us and asked us to merge with them when Gretna were voted in ahead of them saying if we didn't merge they would buy us anyway. We refused and went on with our bid having been told that it was a set price and not a bidding war. AUFC were told differently and put in a higher bid which was accepted. The Scottish Football League gave it their approval and after a bit of haggling over legal issues we ahd to give up.

The administrator shafted us as much as anyone which was annoying as we had worked with him for a long time and helped pull in money for lots of different bills and to put towards wages etc. He made it quite clear it wasn't a bidding war, but when he changed the rules after taking legal advice he failed to advise us of this and we were convinced we had pulled it off. The deadline was 3pm on 9th July 2002, and we were all exchanging emails, calls and texts right up until that point "knowing" we had it in the bag, the club was ours and we'd be able to run it properly and start moving towards returning to the town.

At 3.02 we all got an email telling us we had been outbid. It was the sorest moment of my life once I had re-read it a few times and it sank in.

I should speak to Annis and start writing a book on it, with all the truths. Some bloke did a book on it before with both sides of the story but their side was laughable - some of the claims in it were beyond belief but they had convinced themselves they were doing the right thing. Many of their fans never went back after that happened, many open about the fact they didn't like what happened.

We were offered the chance to do the same thing to East Stirlingshire within days, but didn't.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm

PtB wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:PtB can you explain what Happened mate Cheers :ayatollah:

Pretty much as Zabier put it.

Clydebank were in administration as Airdrieonians were liquidated. Our supporters group(I was on the commitee at the time) along with a businessman were in talks with the administrator to buy CFC and had raised the price required. Airdrie United FC(a company that had been set up to apply for the vacancy in the Scottish League) approached us and asked us to merge with them when Gretna were voted in ahead of them saying if we didn't merge they would buy us anyway. We refused and went on with our bid having been told that it was a set price and not a bidding war. AUFC were told differently and put in a higher bid which was accepted. The Scottish Football League gave it their approval and after a bit of haggling over legal issues we ahd to give up.

The administrator shafted us as much as anyone which was annoying as we had worked with him for a long time and helped pull in money for lots of different bills and to put towards wages etc. He made it quite clear it wasn't a bidding war, but when he changed the rules after taking legal advice he failed to advise us of this and we were convinced we had pulled it off. The deadline was 3pm on 9th July 2002, and we were all exchanging emails, calls and texts right up until that point "knowing" we had it in the bag, the club was ours and we'd be able to run it properly and start moving towards returning to the town.

At 3.02 we all got an email telling us we had been outbid. It was the sorest moment of my life once I had re-read it a few times and it sank in.

I should speak to Annis and start writing a book on it, with all the truths. Some bloke did a book on it before with both sides of the story but their side was laughable - some of the claims in it were beyond belief but they had convinced themselves they were doing the right thing. Many of their fans never went back after that happened, many open about the fact they didn't like what happened.

We were offered the chance to do the same thing to East Stirlingshire within days, but didn't.

:cry: :evil: I remember sitting in the car with the wife when the news came through & she thought someone in my family had died i was that upset.