Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Nolan: Sunday is Cardiff's Cup Final

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:42 am

WEST HAM midfielder Kevin Nolan has told Cardiff City to forget about taking a “major scalp” on Sunday.

Malky Mackay’s Bluebirds begin their Championship campaign with what looks like a tough trip to Upton Park.

Indeed, the size of the Bluebirds’ task in east London is perhaps summed up by the capture of Nolan by new Hammers boss Sam Allardyce on a £4m deal from Premiership outfit Newcastle.

Allardyce has also tempted winger Matt Taylor to make the drop down to the Championship from his former club Bolton.

And the newly-relegated Hammers still boast England international midfielder Scott Parker and goalkeeper Rob Green in their ranks.

Nolan believes a club the size of West Ham has no business being in the second-tier and admits anything but an instant return to the top flight for his new club would be a disaster.

“We have to come out all guns blazing,” said Nolan. “We have to hit the ground running, there is no hiding place for us.

“The stakes are high and there is immense pressure on us.

“But the time for feeling sorry for yourselves following relegation from the Premier League has long since passed.

“The least we should expect is promotion. Anything else will merely be an unmitigated disaster for this club.

“This club doesn’t belong in the Championship and we have to make sure we don’t stay here either.”

Nolan is expecting a stern test from Cardiff and, in a pattern he expects to be repeated throughout the season, he believes the Bluebirds will be treating the game as something of a ‘cup final’.

“Everyone will want to beat us, this will be their biggest game of the campaign,” added Nolan.

“Opposing teams will come to Upton Park looking for a major scalp. You’re a team to be shot at.

“But, if we apply ourselves on the pitch and get the supporters right behind us, I see no reason why we shouldn’t be celebrating come April/May.”

Nolan experienced the trauma of relegation with Newcastle two seasons ago and he is the first to admit the Championship is not an easy league to escape.

But just like the Magpies, Nolan insists West Ham are capable of bouncing straight back to the top tier.

“There are striking similarities between West Ham and Newcastle, the pressure and expectations are exactly the same,” said Nolan, who has been installed as the Hammers’ skipper.

“When Newcastle went down some people expected us to struggle, but we re-grouped and had a right go.

“We knew we had to either get out of the Championship straight away or face being stuck there for years to come.

“It was a make-or-break situation for us in much the same way it is for West Ham.

“You don’t have a divine right to win promotion no matter how big the club are.

“You have to earn the right. No-one is going to do you any favours.”

One man who agrees with that analysis is Nolan’s manager Allardyce, who was instrumental in tempting the 29-year-old Liverpudlian south following their successful time together at Bolton.

Allardyce, who replaced the sacked Avram Grant this summer, admits he is unsure how his side will fare in the Championship, but believes he has enough quality at his disposal to do the job.

“The real action starts on Sunday,” he said. “We’ll find out what it’s all about when Cardiff come to us.

“I am happy with the squad. It’s never been about quality in the squad, it’s more a lack of direction and man-management.

“My job is bringing everybody together, that’s all part of the job of getting success on the pitch.

“We are going to play as entertaining football as possible with the emphasis on winning.

“There is huge pressure on me to deliver first time, but then I put pressure on myself, it’s part of the job.

“One element I am looking at is whether we have enough goals in the squad. Will we finish off teams when we have the chance?

“And if we can’t finish them off, will we get away with it more in the Championship than we did in the Premiership? I’ll be honest, I’m not too sure yet.”

Re: Nolan: Sunday is Cardiff's Cup Final

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:53 am

I wouldnt call beating 1 of the shittiest teams from the Prem who have struggled the past 3 or 4 seasons a " major scalp " !!!

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:54 am

Vintage 63 wrote:I wouldnt call beating 1 of the shittiest teams from the Prem who have struggled the past 3 or 4 seasons a " major scalp " !!!

Exactly what I was thinking mate...he's already a jumped up Cockney Cu*t

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:00 am

OK they have a decent midfield for this level but they havnt got an out and out Champs striker plus a very dodgy England goalie :lol:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:03 am

They're just another Championship team and unless they realise that they won't be getting promoted any time soon. I can't stand Nolan, he's such a cock.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:17 am

It all wreaks of supreme arrogance...I wonder if thats the right attitude to approach a Champ game with?

Here's to believing theyll get found out big time on Sunday by the MIGHTY BLUEBIRDS! :ayatollah: :D

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:33 am

Does he know we've ACTUALLy been in a Cup Final recently.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:33 am

JonScam wrote:It all wreaks of supreme arrogance...I wonder if thats the right attitude to approach a Champ game with?

Here's to believing theyll get found out big time on Sunday by the MIGHTY BLUEBIRDS! :ayatollah: :D

I honestly think that after Newcastle won the title last time he was down here he thinks it's a piece of piss. However, West Ham don't have Carroll, Barton, Enrique, Coloccini etc. He's going to get a shock and I'm not going to lie, I fancy us to get something at Upton Park. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:35 am

Closest that prick will get to a cup final

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:02 am

When I first heard we may be visiting the hallowed ground that is
Upton Park to play Premiership and European giants West Ham Madrid
Were my firsts thoughts that it was a bit of a dream come true, or that
Hundreds of young City fans will treasure the experience of a trip to the
big city, or that win lose or draw, we will all come away enriched by
The experience?........

Erm no..

My initial thoughts were:

Shit, dirty third world East London again to watch City play a team who
Aren't as big as West Brom, and to hear those horrible grating cockey accents...

"Cam on you taffy caaants, let's ave it, if it wasn't for the coppers wed
Destroy you maggy caaants"

"Aw shit Ron, the taffys ave steamed fru the coppers, they don't seem
Bovvered at all by our frets!

"Your right Reg, run for your fackin life!!!"

Eastenders are just a dying breed of jellied eel and salted beef munching wide boys
Being rapidly outbred by Bangladeshis. Nolan was with a bigger club when
He was at Bolton. Fact

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:57 am

Can't wait, wish we had Burky on the right and Bellers up front, but lets give them a reality check :D :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:05 am

Carduff wrote:Can't wait, wish we had Burky on the right and Bellers up front, but lets give them a reality check :D :ayatollah:

I think we have a better player in Craig Conway. The
Scots on this board were right. He's a bit faster than
Burke but more importantly fires those crosses in early.
A nightmare to defend against. Burke is certainly more
Skilful but defenders will be flying in at Conway trying
To stop the early crosses. I think he's going to be a gem

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:28 am

taffyapple wrote:When I first heard we may be visiting the hallowed ground that is
The experience?........

Erm no..

Aren't as big as West Brom, and to hear those horrible grating cockey accents...

Eastenders are just a dying breed of jellied eel and salted beef munching wide boys
He was at Bolton. Fact

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:30 am

whats he chatting the nob, cup final???, only thing exciting about west ham is the possibility of it going off :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:51 am

i can't wait for sunday, i really see us winning and silences the wankers.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:11 am

right, so this is west hams 3rd season in the championship in since 2003 and he thinks they got no right being there.

what a f*cking clown.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:38 pm

i think we'll give Nolan a bit of shock tbh :lol:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:49 pm

taffyapple wrote:When I first heard we may be visiting the hallowed ground that is
The experience?........

Erm no..

He was at Bolton. Fact

great post,fair play :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:06 pm

well if west hams attitude is that theyre every teams cup final and if they think theyre going to ease to promotion, theyve got another thing coming :lol:

lets see what happens sunday :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

BLUEBIRDS :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:29 pm

Come on u BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBIRDS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:57 pm

englishbluebird wrote:
The experience?........

Erm no..

He was at Bolton. Fact

:ayatollah: Its true though

East Enders are the biggest hypocrites in Britain. They give it all the Pearly Kings
Apples and Pears, "Maybe its because im a Londoner" etc etc etc..

But they are leaving in droves. They have upped and left their 'beloved' 'manor'
and been forced out by the Muslims. They never even put up a fight. Wonnie and
Weggie would be turning in their graves

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:57 pm

West Ham 1 Cardiff City 3 ave that!!

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Difference between Newcastle & West Ham is a young and enthusiastic manager who wanted to make a name for him self, and a manager who sit's in the stand letting his Assistant manager do the work. Sam Allardyce will struggle in the Championship as his team have not really got any flair. Newcastle had young, ambitious players, where as West Ham have players who have taken their wage, and now got nothing left to prove.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Why can't you accept that out side of cardiff you ain't a big club.Not taking the piss but you think you are somthing but only you belive it.We are swansea city that's it,we are no world beaters or massively supported,may be you should stop and take a look at your selfs then may be you would not have such high expectations.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Cup Final we have had one of them in the last few years. When was there last one ?

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:11 pm

taffyapple wrote:
englishbluebird wrote:
The experience?........

Erm no..

He was at Bolton. Fact

:ayatollah: Its true though

East Enders are the biggest hypocrites in Britain. They give it all the Pearly Kings
Apples and Pears, "Maybe its because im a Londoner" etc etc etc..

But they are leaving in droves. They have upped and left their 'beloved' 'manor'
and been forced out by the Muslims. They never even put up a fight. Wonnie and
Weggie would be turning in their graves

Essex was full of 'em back in the 80s. Maybe they've gone further afield now. God help East Anglia!

Great post, mate.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:14 pm

swansealad69 wrote:Why can't you accept that out side of cardiff you ain't a big club.Not taking the piss but you think you are somthing but only you belive it.We are swansea city that's it,we are no world beaters or massively supported,may be you should stop and take a look at your selfs then may be you would not have such high expectations.

On here, no one gives a fcuk what you think either. Maybe you should stop and take a look at yourself. :D :D :D

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:26 pm

swansealad69 wrote:Why can't you accept that out side of cardiff you ain't a big club.Not taking the piss but you think you are somthing but only you belive it.We are swansea city that's it,we are no world beaters or massively supported,may be you should stop and take a look at your selfs then may be you would not have such high expectations.

its not about us you clown, its about nolan's attitude towards other teams in the league.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:20 pm

But his opinion is what pepole out cardiff city think off you.For a club that has done so little in a long time,yet you are so full off your selfs.Ther are always posts on here asking how pepole think ccfc will do,and unbelievable many think you ate going up,yet you have no real team or back up ffs.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:18 pm

swansealad69 wrote:But his opinion is what pepole out cardiff city think off you.For a club that has done so little in a long time,yet you are so full off your selfs.Ther are always posts on here asking how pepole think ccfc will do,and unbelievable many think you ate going up,yet you have no real team or back up ffs.

You thick tw*t.

His story was NOT about Cardiff, it was about how EVERYONE will be
looking at West Ham like its their big game for the season. We wont
be. Cos West Ham are no bigger than Birmingham City, Leeds, Forest
or Leicester. Thats a fact.