Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: When did Service Charges start to come into this country..?

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Just another rip off term invented to extract money. I stayed in a hotel in London a while back, ordered a pizza and a coke to the room. I paid the guy the service charge and a tip, then he told me there was a £5 "tray charge". I asked him what was and he said anything delivered on a tray incurs a £5 tray charge. Told him a tray is tool to make his life easier not a luxury extra provided to enhance the enjoyment of my pizza. Wish I just told him where to stick his tray, but I was starving so paid it :(

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:50 pm

Hiya mate! Alright? wrote:Just another rip off term invented to extract money. I stayed in a hotel in London a while back, ordered a pizza and a coke to the room. I paid the guy the service charge and a tip, then he told me there was a £5 "tray charge". I asked him what was and he said anything delivered on a tray incurs a £5 tray charge. Told him a tray is tool to make his life easier not a luxury extra provided to enhance the enjoyment of my pizza. Wish I just told him where to stick his tray, but I was starving so paid it :(

When cock heads like Michael O'Leary decide to take something that was relatively pleasant and turn it into the worst mode of transport he set a precident that if you want something to be nice you need to be ripped off for the privelage

All sectors start to do it now, I think for once the media could actually be of use in aggresively naming and shaming companies who do this and practically advertise those who don't

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:20 am

Never tip! These companies are making so much off you that they should pay their staff correctly rather than hoping their customer will subsidise their business.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:27 am

Plus you don't have to pay for service charge in restaurant if you feel you've had bad service or don't want to.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:37 am

I like to tip the City Pizza guys and the my barber at Paul and Sons because they do their jobs well and they're really friendly. I have no problem with tipping them. However, with anything else, unless the service is exemplary I don't. I learned that lesson when my missus and I went to this restaurant in Edinburgh and in a slightly drunken state of euphoria at just getting engaged we tipped the waitress £10! She just went "oh" and put the £10 in her purse and then walked off. She didn't say thank you and it was a surprised "oh", it was a disappointed "oh".

I didn't tip our room service people either because of the tray charge. I thought "if you want a tip, get rid of the tray charge".

Unfortunately, the way the world of commerce is run now means we are all forced to act like c*nts.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:56 am

it started when we let them get away with it......stiff upper lip syndrome. :old: