Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City rid of big egos, says Anthony Gerrard

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:19 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14358232.stm

Anthony Gerrard says the atmosphere and spirit in Cardiff City's dressing room has improved beyond recognition after a summer of significant upheaval.

The Bluebirds have lost 12 players from last season's squad, and Malcky Mackay has replaced Dave Jones as manager.

"The dressing room is a lot more friendly," said 25-year-old Gerrard.

"There aren't that many cliques and not many egos. Everyone's getting on fantastically well. That bodes well for a happy team and a happy environment."

Despite being a regular performer in the Cardiff side in his first season after his 2009 move from Walsall, Gerrard was sent on a season-long loan to Hull City in August 2010 after falling out of favour with Jones.

He suggests that a clash of personalities cost him his place in the Cardiff side.

ANTHONY GERRARD FACT FILEContinue reading the main story Date of birth: 6 February, 1986 Place of birth: Liverpool Height: 6ft 2in Squad number: 15 Previous clubs: Everton (academy) Accrington Stanley, Walsall, Hull City (loan) "I'm not a quiet character. If I've got something to say, I'll let people know about it," said Gerrard, who was voted the Hull supporters' player of the year last season.

"If that didn't help me, so be it. But I'm not the type of person to pull any punches. If something needs to be said, I say it. And I'm not a doormat.

"That's the strong character I've got. If I'm in the wrong, I'll hold my hand up, but if not I'll stand up for myself and say what I've got to say."

Gerrard returns to a Cardiff squad undergoing a huge rebuilding process, having lost many of last season's high-profile players, such as Jay Bothroyd, Michael Chopra and Craig Bellamy.

Mackay has so far recruited nine new faces, but no new centre-backs have arrived, meaning Gerrard will battle with Mark Hudson, Gabor Gyepes and Dekel Keinan for a place in the back four.

And despite having to impress a new manager and gel with new players, Gerrard does not view it as a fresh start.

"The fans and everybody else know what I could do from my first year in the Championship, coming from League One," he said.

"I helped Cardiff get to the play-off final. I wasn't selected for the final, as everyone knows, but I don't feel I need to prove anything to anybody this year. I thought I did that in my first season.

"Unfortunately I got sent out on loan. So I went to Hull, picked up player of the season so I couldn't have done much more to be honest on a personal level.

"I think a lot of people in Cardiff were gutted that I left to be honest. I thought I could've helped them out."

Re: Cardiff City rid of big egos, says Anthony Gerrard

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:03 am

Good for him.

Big season for him. He could make a name for himself. Hope it works out, he seems the kind of character that with a little more maturity could be captain material.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:16 am

sounds funny - got rid of big egos and then he says he is not quiet - i.e. big ego

ego, confidence etc is good - need that

but it needs to be with charisma and you need to be aware that you can say somethings to soem people and its ok, and to others its not. That only comes with maturity.

As long as he's not a winging Scouse, then he'll do fine

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:53 am

Most people I know who say it as it is hardly ever admit they are wrong.

I'm not too sure of Gerrard on this one. This time last season he was well out of shape. Although hardly anyone wanted him to go out on loan most of us including myself felt Jones got this right. The move definately did him good and I would look at that as yes it was definately the right thing to do.

This fallout he had with Jones I suppose we will never know the full story about it. I have heard one or two versions and both are feasable bit I intend to believe the one where Jones slagged Gerrard off over his weight, told him it is highly unlikely he will make the starting 11 for the rest of the season. When Jones says that he is a stubborn man to see it through and only changes his mind if it is forced on him. Hull at the time needed a centre back and in a way Gerrard got lucky.

When Jones went out on loan to Hull their first game was against us at CCS. Gerrard made his debut for them that day and did look not with the pace. Bascially Hull were desperate and had ot play him. We won the game comfortable with our 2nd string players. However the return game going into the new year Gerrard was a different player come shape and style. He has lost most of his weight and considering he got injured in the first minute and should have come off, he was their main man that stopped us running away with the game in that first half. We went on to win the game with 2 goals in the second half and that was no co-incidence that Gerrard was substituted at half time.

I'm looking forward to seeing Gerrard play for us again this season. I have a feeling he is a guy that needs discipline and under MM he should get that. It will be interesting to see who he gets partnered with in central defence. Last time it did not work with Hudson but was ok with Blake . He either needs to suss it out with Hudson or form some sort of pertnership with Keinan or Gyppes. He might be back to some sort of form but the real work for him will be who he can partner. Should be interesting.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:58 am

wouldn't all be easier if footballers were concientous, law-abiding, middle-class kids :lol:

if they start winning games, and get us up, then and only then they can be as bolshy as they want........(for a day or so) :lol:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:11 am

Anyone else notice they used last season's squad number in his 'fact file'?

I have to say, some of the reporting on Championship football is shocking. The Telegraph did a big article yesterday, and their main focus was Scott Parker (who will NOT be playing in this league!) as a key player for West Ham. They also suggested that DJ Campbell and Leroy Lita were key players for Blackpool and Middlesborough respectively, even though they are both on their way out/have already left!

Reporters just get lazy when it's not Prem...

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:15 am

I really like Gerrard, he plays with alot of heart and passion and I feel he really wants to play for us.

After he got offloaded last season, he put his money where his mouth was and got player of the season at Hull - can't ask for more than that.

Would love to see him become a first team regular.

I think in Gerrad, Hudson and Keinan we have 3 very good centre backs - they are going to give Malky a selection headache!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:16 am

Hmmm I wonder if he was refering to Bellamy as well as some of the others ???????

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:25 am

But he was at Hull when bellamy was here ....

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Midfield general wrote:Its not Bellamy he's talking about its Jones full stop.

He was angry that he didn't make the starting line up for the playoff final and I for one don't blame him.

15 months ago. Big deal. zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:07 pm

gerrard certainly looked much more slimline and fitter saturday as did barker when he returned from stoke maybe we should send parkin out on loan

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:15 pm

barrybluebird wrote:gerrard certainly looked much more slimline and fitter saturday as did barker when he returned from stoke maybe we should send parkin out on loan

For 10 years

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:27 pm

polo wrote:
barrybluebird wrote:gerrard certainly looked much more slimline and fitter saturday as did barker when he returned from stoke maybe we should send parkin out on loan

For 10 years

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: