Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: How Many Years Have you Been Supporting Cardiff ?

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:07 pm

OMG my memory is terrible ............... First home game had to be mid to late 60's and first away game was Bristol City at Ashton Gate around 1970 ?? sad and old :old: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:13 pm

Too long, since 1958. :old: ;)

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:01 pm

since 1968,black :ayatollah: burn home,first away was when my mate and i caught the jones of aberbeeg bus in 1971 when i was 12

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Since 1960.Cardiff v Arsenal at Ninian Park. 51 years ago...

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:46 pm

42 years (aged 6) and a regular at home games sine 1974

1st Home game: City 2 v Plymouth Argyle 0 (I think, as I could just about see over the old enclosure wall!!)

1st Away game: Oldham Athletic 2 v City 1*

*Joe Dwyer scored in the 1st minute, had one disallowed seconds later and we could/should have been 4 up at half-time

Not much changed over the years....!! :lol: :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:51 pm

I think I was about 9 or 10 when my dad first took me to a City game v Norwich I think (they wore Green and a bit of yellow) which would make it about 48 or 49 years as I am now 58.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:41 am

41 years :old:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:03 am

37 years ......

1st home game v Crystal Palace 1 - 1 in 1974 .

1st away game v Swansea in Welsh Cup 1975 3 - 0 to City .

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:11 am

37 years. Can't recall first home game with my dad/cousin/uncle but first away was Southampton.

First home game without parental guidance was Cardiff v Portsmouth in 83/84 and away was Cardiff/Swansea new Years Day'88.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:14 am

Since 1977 (I think it was that year, could have been 1978), my first game when Ronnie Moore scored v Wrexham in a 1-0 win. I spent 20 odd years living in Surrey and went to a lot of top flight games in London but always tried to get to City games in the south east as often as I could and never lost my identity with Cardiff

Aldershot in about 1986 was my first away game, quite handy as I lived about 20 minutes drive from their ground

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 am

122 years

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:10 am

Home since 1974! :old: I was Young!
Away since 1981 :x

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:17 am

i cant remenber the team but i was 7 and we drew 0-0 ive been watching them for 21years now my first away game was exeter away we won 2-1 brayson scored 2 that day

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:25 am

26 years, and my first game was against Huddersfield sat in the Grandstand with my Dad. I remember we won 3-0 to give ourselves a chance of surviving the drop, but then lost the last 3 games and slipped into the old 3rd division, but it was too late, and I'd been bitten by the City bug and spent the next 20 odd years following us around the basement....

Far happier days now though.... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:46 am

my first city game I was under 10yrs old, only thing I remember was away team in black and white strips (Grimsby/Newcastle?) watching the ball being headed out of our box over the halfway line and my dad saying with aww and pride that was John Charles greatest player the British Isles ever produced RIP :old:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:08 am

can't remember my first home game as i was too young :lol: but i know 100% it was 1998. wow christ i'm starting to lose memory and i'm only 20 :lol: :lol: been to plenty of the sh*t grounds... rotherham, walsall, wrexham, liberty. plenty more :D
next season will be my 14th year as a season ticket holder. only 1 club for me. always has been!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:41 am

42 YEARS

1969 v Arsenal in the FA Cup

First away was either v Swindon ("Ian Gibson are you better, are you well, well, well?!")

or v Portsmouth (travelled all the way on a packed Football Special train)?

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:10 pm

19 years

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:31 pm

44 years, PNE (H) 1-0 Peter King 1967. permanently etched in the memory. Old wooden benches in the canton stand.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 pm

35 years Hereford home won 2 0 Jacks away lost 2 1 welsh cup final 2 leg :old:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Supported the boys for 26 years now.
Haven't been to many away games the last 3 seasons though.

1983/1984 Sat 12 May Cardiff City 0 - 2 Sheff. Wed. Second Division The year Wednesday got promoted and packed out the grange end. i was 13 and ended up going on to their side when there was a stand off on Sloper Road - crappped em!

First away game the season after - not sure where (probably a team like jacks or hereford/wrexham/Shrewsbury/the bristols) we got relegated though.

Have had great years with city and met good people - Never enjoyed the last 4 or 5 seasons away though. Probably due to the old bill more than anything. We used to go away on buses and in transits, start in Rhondda, then end up picking boys in merthyr, tredegar, ebbw vale and caerphilly - took us two hours to get to the severn bridge! On the train used to be great too.

Ninian - in the bob bank before the seats - moshing around to Frankie Burrows or Eddie Mays barmy army etc 'We are Evil'

Have supported our team -even the shit players. Not the boo and his of todays wanker supporters.

The CCS does my head in too - no passion or atmosphere.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Funnily enough I can't remember who City were playing the first time I was taken to Ninian Park - you'd think you would always remember your first game but I can't. It was probably in 1954 (I would have been 7.) Might have been Arsenal 'cos I do remember seeing them very early in my 'career' of watching the City.
I remember being passed over the turnstile at the Grangetown end; we used to walk under the Grangetown stand and onto the bob bank. I was sat on the metal tube of one of the crash barriers and my father would stand behind me to make sure I didn't fall off!
The first game I can clearly remember was City v. Wolves on Saturday 3rd September 1955 (I've checked the date!) Wolves had a great side in those days and my hero was Bert Williams the Wolves goalie. We got hammered 1 - 9 and I can clearly remember some bloke standing to my left saying something like ".... blimey if they carry on scoring like this there won't be enough space in tomorrow's paper to list the scorers ..I"
Strangely (or not given the City) we won the return at their place later on 2 - 0.

First away game was, I think, an F.A. Cup replay v. Man City at Maine Road - this was in the late 60s I think. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:37 pm

1966 my g/dad took me down I think it was a 3-0 win against Birmingham, been jibbering City ever since :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:19 pm

35 years. Started watching in pre-season 1976. Don't know what friendly it was, though. First away game was probably Newport County in about '79 or '80. They hated us, so it was always lively there.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:35 pm

uummm so long i cant remember :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:23 pm

A wet and windy european game in December 1964 - hooked ever since. :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:40 years. First home game v Millwall 1971 2-2 draw. Away Lincoln 1982 2-1 loss.

Millwall was my first home game too, if I remember rightly it was a tuesday night and it was pissing down with thunder and lightning. I cant really remember my first away game, but Rotherham or Rochdale rings a bell, :lol: dont have a clue when though :D

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Since January 4th 1969,hence my username,we played Arsenal in the FA cup at NP,i was 10 years old & stood in the bob bank & being 4 ft nothing i couldnt see a thing,it was a nil nil draw & we lost the replay,the start of a beautiful friendship.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:02 pm

14 years, only 17 though. Oldham at home, can't remember which year

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:31 pm

since i was around 4 i started going to home games, then about 3 years ago (15) when i was old enough and had a bit of money, started going to away games. :ayatollah: