Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Confused - Why are people lowering expectations

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:50 pm

OK topic for debate -

Why are people now accepting that mid table or above is good enough for us this season ?

Surely after the previous seasons of guaranteed play off etc to move forward with a new manager we should expect automatic or 3rd as that will be the only improvement MM can make from the previous management regime ?

CCFC intentions should be to sign Goodwilley now plus if he has £10m budget a named defender and midfielder - I know the transfer season is not over but our squad at the moment wont achieve much in my opinin.

So what are your expectations ?? Are we ambitious anymore and if we lose half and win half will you be putting pressure on MM with his team of signings ??

I cant see come October if we are not challenging this MB accepting that this is the new city ??

Any comments

Re: Confused - Why are people lowering expectations

Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:21 pm

i think its to do with the fact we lost 12 good players and so far signed 9 average players (well part from Kenny) and a new manager trying to start his own effort. cant expect promotion with the team we go (at the moment). we need another 5 players before we can actually challenge at the top of the league with the likes of West Ham and Forest etc.
if we sign bellamy he would make a big difference. but thats a big IF.
i would be happy with 10th because as things stand we havent got a strong team tbh.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:45 pm

So what incentive do the malasians have in staying ??

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:19 pm

I agree dave jones was was able to give us a consistant top 6/7 position. Including good cup runs. The last 10 years have been some of the best following cardiff, if changing the manager mean we should expect a mid table finish, what was the point in changing the manager

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Dave Jones got sacked because he failed at the last hurdle once again. We lost 12 players, got a new manager, new players, our squad is definitely not as strong as last season's. We are re-building a new Cardiff City. Can't expect us to get promoted this year, I won't be dissapointed if we don't. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:58 pm

simple,anything better than mid table is a bonus :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:07 pm

NIBluebird wrote:OK topic for debate -

Why are people now accepting that mid table or above is good enough for us this season ?

Surely after the previous seasons of guaranteed play off etc to move forward with a new manager we should expect automatic or 3rd as that will be the only improvement MM can make from the previous management regime ?

CCFC intentions should be to sign Goodwilley now plus if he has £10m budget a named defender and midfielder - I know the transfer season is not over but our squad at the moment wont achieve much in my opinin.

So what are your expectations ?? Are we ambitious anymore and if we lose half and win half will you be putting pressure on MM with his team of signings ??

I cant see come October if we are not challenging this MB accepting that this is the new city ??

not sure if you have noticed but we lost half our squad and a change of manager plus new players needing to gel. mid table be great play offs a bonus. lets not expect to much or some will be boo'ing before xmas :roll:

Any comments

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Dave Jones - Playoff Final and Semi-Final in last two seasons.

MM - We're happy with mid table.....

Please explain the logic.... :old:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Good point Einstein, I am getting more n more confident by the day, what with Brum selling, WHU not being as strong as I thought. Get Bellamy bk and I expect play offs minimum :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:24 pm

BEEP AHM wrote:Good point Einstein, I am getting more n more confident by the day, what with Brum selling, WHU not being as strong as I thought. Get Bellamy bk and I expect play offs minimum :ayatollah:

I'm a little nervous about the season as I don't see the commanding midfielder or pace out wide...

Bellamy and that elusive midfielder then we're talking.

People are going on about the defense, it was not that department that caused us to miss out last year. We stopped creating chances and therefore scoring goals. (Boro game aside)

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Einstein wrote:
BEEP AHM wrote:Good point Einstein, I am getting more n more confident by the day, what with Brum selling, WHU not being as strong as I thought. Get Bellamy bk and I expect play offs minimum :ayatollah:

I'm a little nervous about the season as I don't see the commanding midfielder or pace out wide...

People are going on about the defense, it was not that department that caused us to miss out last year. We stopped creating chances and therefore scoring goals. (Boro game aside)

True. Hudson will be immense this year and I dont know about bringing Olly back :?:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:30 pm

how can we expect the same? new manager, totally new staff. had to replace 12 players. the team as a whole need to jell. i would say the same if we still had jones because replacing 12 players and expecting them to be able to play straight away aint going to happen. he will need about 6 league games i think before they become a "team"

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:33 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:how can we expect the same? new manager, totally new staff. had to replace 12 players. the team as a whole need to jell. i would say the same if we still had jones because replacing 12 players and expecting them to be able to play straight away aint going to happen. he will need about 6 league games i think before they become a "team"

What would you be happy with at season end?

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 pm

read your posts i think its mid table for us anything higher is a bonus just get the feeling we aint stong enough but going to enjoy the season all the same, different players different tactics,let the games begin :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:54 pm

ANDYBLUE wrote:read your posts i think its mid table for us anything higher is a bonus just get the feeling we aint stong enough but going to enjoy the season all the same, different players different tactics,let the games begin :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Agreed but I don't think if we're 14th at Christmas the resounding chorus from this messageboard will be "in Malky we trust"...

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:01 pm

i keep looking at what Watford were doing around last Christmas and that was a 6-1 win at Millway, 3-0 win at the champions place QPR then the 4-1 against us. MM had his strongest side then and we have captured 3 of those influencial players. If he would have managed to keep those players Watford would have got into the playoffs.

Now start looking at the other players he has got or inherited from us. Excluding Graham and Buckly they are a lot better players than the remainder at Victorage Rd. Then we start looking at the other squads in the division, its not looking that strong a league as what I thought it would be.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:i keep looking at what Watford were doing around last Christmas and that was a 6-1 win at Millway, 3-0 win at the champions place QPR then the 4-1 against us. MM had his strongest side then and we have captured 3 of those influencial players. If he would have managed to keep those players Watford would have got into the playoffs.

Now start looking at the other players he has got or inherited from us. Excluding Graham and Buckly they are a lot better players than the remainder at Victorage Rd. Then we start looking at the other squads in the division, its not looking that strong a league as what I thought it would be.

Good point.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:42 pm

WHAT ARE U ALL COMPLAINING ABOUT!!! LOW EXPECTATIONS?? THATS EXACTLY WOT I WANT.
We had high expectations last year, year before etc, so wot happens wen we lose? players get booed off, critising players left right and centre etc etc

I want us to get behind the team thinking we need to push them on to get that win, hopefully the boo boys will p*ss off then and we can enjoy being Cardiff City fans again without embarrassing ones spoiling it all the time!

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:58 pm

I agree - DJ with MM budget would get top 6 easily but I expect to fail.

I at least expect MM to get top 6 or I'll be dissapointed.
As soon as games start all expectations will rise, a fact of
Football.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Malky Mackay has not finished shopping yet.

When he has, low expectations may be well and good.

But HE wont have low expectations, and neither will ONE player he signs.

Most of the free transfers he has got came here for MALKY, because they
believe in him, and want to play for him. Nobody has been dragging their
feet for more money. As he has said to them "thats the offer, if you dont
want it, dont come"

I see the beginnings of a fabulous side here this season, and much more to come
in.

The board may well have told him there's no real pressure this season, but the
pressure will be of his own making. He wont accept second place, or nearly-ran.

More importantly, nor will ONE player on that pitch

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Pontypool_Bluebird wrote:WHAT ARE U ALL COMPLAINING ABOUT!!! LOW EXPECTATIONS?? THATS EXACTLY WOT I WANT.
We had high expectations last year, year before etc, so wot happens wen we lose? players get booed off, critising players left right and centre etc etc

I want us to get behind the team thinking we need to push them on to get that win, hopefully the boo boys will p*ss off then and we can enjoy being Cardiff City fans again without embarrassing ones spoiling it all the time!

good point :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Einstein wrote:

We reached the Play-off semi-finals last season.. Who was our 'commanding midfielder' then?

Answer...

We didnt have one!

Oli was as close as we came, but only did it once in a blue moon.

Gunnarsson and Cowie are both better players than him. I suspect Kiss is
going to be a revelation.

As for "I dont see pace out wide!"????

not YET you dont. Has Mackay said he's finished shopping?..... NO!

Although erm... Craig Conway is erm.... erm... a tricky wingr, and faster
then Chris Burke

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 pm

This is a very good question because two 4th place finishes and if we had kept Dave Jones he would of got a side together that would have got us in the top 6 again but unfortunately he always failed at the final hurdle :( Also the feeling was that the teams he built with a few notable exceptions did not give every drop of effort to the cause. :roll:

This season i think we will see players give 100% every game but it might be debatable wether we will have enough quality in the side and we might have to accept we have to take a step backwards this season in order to take that final step the following season that DJ's teams couldn't quite make.

Personally however i think Malky will add to the squad and if we could get Bellamy back then we should finish top 6 and it could be third time lucky in the Play Offs :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:39 am

WTF Is wrong with People? And the lost 12 player's syndrome? Bellers jb and Chops that's three players End Off!! Earnie will fare better than Chop's last season, Miller will top 18 +, So we really only lost 1 player Bellamy, Dont yarp on about Burk, ollie, Jet, Rea, and a hat full of other loan'ies that people like to add to our lost player scenario, Get real' We have got rid of some utter sh'te players, Fare play to MM He has brought in 10 players that i for one got more confidence in our new arrivals than the money grabbing bottlers we had last season, And only one loan signing, Im happy as punch, though i still would love to see Bellers and Goodwilly added im still confident of good things to come, not to forget with Hudson-Gerrard-Kheinen- and supper Kev We already boast one of the best defenses be for we add the likes of Taylor and Co, I think too many People are clinging on to what could'v beens, ONE MORE THING , BELLERS apart CCFC did Not have a premiership team last season, Hype nothing but Hype, We already got a better Team and MM aint finished yet, Get a Gripp!!!! :old:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:59 am

Leighton James Dont Like uS wrote:WTF Is wrong with People? And the lost 12 player's syndrome? Bellers jb and Chops that's three players End Off!! Earnie will fare better than Chop's last season, Miller will top 18 +, So we really only lost 1 player Bellamy, Dont yarp on about Burk, ollie, Jet, Rea, and a hat full of other loan'ies that people like to add to our lost player scenario, Get real' We have got rid of some utter sh'te players, Fare play to MM He has brought in 10 players that i for one got more confidence in our new arrivals than the money grabbing bottlers we had last season, And only one loan signing, Im happy as punch, though i still would love to see Bellers and Goodwilly added im still confident of good things to come, not to forget with Hudson-Gerrard-Kheinen- and supper Kev We already boast one of the best defenses be for we add the likes of Taylor and Co, I think too many People are clinging on to what could'v beens, ONE MORE THING , BELLERS apart CCFC did Not have a premiership team last season, Hype nothing but Hype, We already got a better Team and MM aint finished yet, Get a Gripp!!!! :old:

I'm with you on this one fella. Some people seem to be getting all gloomy on the back of a few pre season friendlies. I for one see really quality and more importantly desire in this team MM is part way through assembling. I for one am much looking forward with hopefully 24000+ other fans of really getting behind the boys and making the CCS a cauldron of noise this year.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:03 am

Pontypool_Bluebird wrote:WHAT ARE U ALL COMPLAINING ABOUT!!! LOW EXPECTATIONS?? THATS EXACTLY WOT I WANT.

Great post, I for one will enjoy having lower expectations.
We might have reached the play offs, but the amount of money we paid our manager and the players we had anything else would have been a dissapointment.
It's time to start again, rebuild and do it properly.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:20 am

I'm not lowering my expectations for the new season, & i don't think MM or the Malaysians are either. Also, apart from CB, who are the other 11 "good" players that left our club last May ? Looking forward to a great new season! ;)

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:I'm not lowering my expectations for the new season, & i don't think MM or the Malaysians are either. Also, apart from CB, who are the other 11 "good" players that left our club last May ? Looking forward to a great new season! ;)

Good point Rick cos the Malaysians wont put up mid table I know

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:15 am

Its important to support the team throughout re-biulding .

If they run their socks off and give everything then thats all as we fans can ask .

Stil think massive mistake not to sign Goddwillie - Its also a ststement of intent ??

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 am

I think we've been spoilt in how well we've done the last 3 years. So one year when we're not challenging for the autos isnt the end of the world