Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If you had £2million to spend, who would you sign for CCFC.....

You may select 1 option

View results

If you had £2million to spend, who would you sign for CCFC..

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Based on the current squad right now and the cover we already have. who or where would you spend our next transfer on

this should be interesting

Re: If you had £2million to spend, who would you sign for CCFC..

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:26 pm

also please feel free to discuss why

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:31 pm

think we need an extra quality outwide atm.

We also need another striker for sure. Maybe another CM but dont really rate McGugan as much as others seem to.

Im not against another CB but we should look to get rid of one first, ideally Gypes.

Keepers are fine

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:33 pm

I'd rather bring back a premier league player, who has experience and passion for his home club. I've seen what he can bring here, and even though he's 32 and nursing a knee - He could still get us promoted as part of our team! HE IS OUR CAPTAIN!

Getting us into the premier league is worth £2m alone! even if he can't play ever again! :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:33 pm

i agree with most of that.

i only used the mcgugan as an example, although i do like him

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Merlin wrote:I'd rather bring back a premier league player, who has experience and passion for his home club. I've seen what he can bring here, and even though he's 32 and nursing a knee - He could still get us promoted as part of our team! HE IS OUR CAPTAIN!

Getting us into the premier league is worth £2m alone! even if he can't play ever again! :ayatollah:

haha although the do or die approach might scare bellamy if you sell it to him like that... its nice to see people see sense rather than Goodwillie goodwillie goodillie is our hero

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:42 pm

I still think we are short of Speed out wide on the right. Routledge would fit the bill ideally
Craig Bellamy is a silly option. Anyone would love him back
Its a tough question cos we really are weak in the middle of the park if we get injuries
But my choice (and im the only 1 so far) is centerback.
I dont rate our centerbacks as good enough. We havnt really got pace there. Gerrard and Hudson are both very good players in their right but neither has any pace. Gyepes as far as im concerned can look elsewhere for a club. Keinan seems to have pace but theres something lacking in his game, not quite sure what it is.
So id personally go for a centerback with a bit of pace. Chambers would be ideal but a little expensive. Patrick Van Aanholt on loan would be a good call. He did well in Championship last year and is highly rated at Chelsea or Richie De Laet at Utd on loan or a cheeky bid

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Definitely Bellamy for me working alongside Malky I think it's a partnership that could inspire us to Promotion albeit via the Play Off's :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:48 pm

players are only examples, i think the main thing is the weakness in the positions...

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Leo Fortune-West.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:57 pm

£2 million for Goodwillie? - it would be the transfer of the window and not just for Cardiff City but for the whole football league. Guaranteed 20+ goals and if we can't hang on to him we will get a big fee from a Premier club for him next year. Win win, can't lose.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:01 pm

I think the priority is to get another winger in. We've got 3 keepers (well one is a first-year pro) but they seem to be competing for the no1 jersey which is good. We've got enough cover at the back for now but I wouldn't mind seeing another defender come in. We should have miller soon and Gestede has signed, so we've got 5 upfront now. In our last 2 pre-season games, we've had cowie on one of the wings. He seems to be more accustommed to playing in the middle, which is where (in my opinion) I think he is best at. Taylor is more of a leftback/defensive midfielder but it is nice to have another utility man. Conway has been injured and he is a good winger, but if whitts isnt playing on the wing, we do need another winger. We can't rely on just conway and youngsters like farah to provide us with width and trickery.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:01 pm

good post Jezzy
ive gone for the winger option

i'd love us to try and get routledge (sorry if he's on the verge of joining someone else)
if not him or bellers then we need a winger with bags of pace :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Chambers - then I'd spend the rest on Brian Stock if there's enough

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:20 pm

MikePT wrote:Chambers - then I'd spend the rest on Brian Stock if there's enough

i was so tempted to go for a CB

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:21 pm

eighty_8 wrote:good post Jezzy

i'd love us to try and get routledge (sorry if he's on the verge of joining someone else)

thanks, any dynamic winger would have to be my first choice. routledge is great but bellemy is everyones ideal signing. not many good natural wingers out there right now

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:25 pm

ihatealiens wrote:£2 million for Goodwillie? - it would be the transfer of the window and not just for Cardiff City but for the whole football league. Guaranteed 20+ goals and if we can't hang on to him we will get a big fee from a Premier club for him next year. Win win, can't lose.

Cant lose?

or he comes here, struggles against a higher standard of football and only scores 8 goals in 40 appearances. how can you say he is guaranteed 20+ goals? 80% of his highlights ive seen are scrapy goals that only scotish football (and often cardiff defending) seem to produce. im not saying he wont be good, im saying he is a far bigger risk than miller, a proven goalscorer in his prime and im syaing that we need the money in other areas more than to buy a 7th striker !!

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:26 pm

jezzy666 wrote:
eighty_8 wrote:good post Jezzy

thanks, any dynamic winger would have to be my first choice. routledge is great but bellemy is everyones ideal signing. not many good natural wingers out there right now

you're right. i cant really think of any that are available
thats why the club need to 'test the waters' of other clubs :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:29 pm

eighty_8 wrote:you're right. i cant really think of any that are available

even then im thinking hmmmm who could we buy?

i think if no bellamy, loaning a good youngster from the prem might have to fit the bill

i really cant think of many. Lansbury??

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:33 pm

jezzy666 wrote:
eighty_8 wrote:you're right. i cant really think of any that are available

even then im thinking hmmmm who could we buy?

i think if no bellamy, loaning a good youngster from the prem might have to fit the bill

i really cant think of many. Lansbury??

lansbury is definitely someone I would love at the club, i dont know too much about him though
is he a wide man? i know he plays across the midfield but my personal preference is someone who just stays on the white line waiting to pounce :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:40 pm

ive know him to play Right left and center. didnt he play wide in the under 21 champs, i watched alot of that and he was better than 20 million henderson

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:00 pm

good poll so far

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:49 pm

Luke Chambers for me, Him and Hudson would be a great pairing :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:42 pm

I voted for a winger, however I wouldn't spend the money on Bellamy (I think what we are offering for Bellamy is the most i'd want to spend on him, although I desperately want him here).

I'd focus my efforts on Routledge instead, despite the fact that he's a tw*t. If scores and sets up goals I wouldn't be too bothered with him being a tw*t as i'd never have to speak to him :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm

We need a centre back and winger far more than another striker right now imo. I would start by bidding 1.5 million for Chambers, if they decline then keep raising the offer gradually until getting to the 2 million mark. If they still reject the 2 million, move onto going for another physical, commanding centre back with a bit of pace. I used to like Ibrahima Sonko who's available on a free, but I think he might be past it now, so perhaps we should look abroad, as I can't think of many Premiership reserve centre backs or good young League 1 centre backs who could improve us?

As for wingers, Routledge is the obvious choice but we won't get him. Kazenga Lua Lua was on a free but i'm not sure now. Would have loved Buckley, shame Malky wasn't appointed sooner to get him. George Boyd is a player i've always admired and would be a good signing, but he would probably cost at least 2 million. I believe we should be looking for a winger with pace and dribbling ability who will constantly run and run at the full back and beat him. I honestly believe it's pointless working the ball wide, only for the winger to have to check back inside and pass the ball square/backwards as he cannot beat his marker. That's negative and allows the opposition to get back into position, we need wingers to run at and draw defenders to drag them out of position, make space and create. Unfortunately, there aren't too many wingers I can think of right now who we will have a realistic chance of signing. The only option I can think of right now is Jobi McAnuff.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:51 pm

jezzy666 wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:£2 million for Goodwillie? - it would be the transfer of the window and not just for Cardiff City but for the whole football league. Guaranteed 20+ goals and if we can't hang on to him we will get a big fee from a Premier club for him next year. Win win, can't lose.

Cant lose?

or he comes here, struggles against a higher standard of football and only scores 8 goals in 40 appearances. how can you say he is guaranteed 20+ goals? 80% of his highlights ive seen are scrapy goals that only scotish football (and often cardiff defending) seem to produce. im not saying he wont be good, im saying he is a far bigger risk than miller, a proven goalscorer in his prime and im syaing that we need the money in other areas more than to buy a 7th striker !!

Here's a scrappy one for you :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zxXkSFm ... re=related
Here's more of what we get for £2 million :lol: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z13INp0 ... re=related
Here's another scrappy one :lol: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsJxbX3ayo
The man that unearthed Goodwillie has no doubts about his talent as he did with another talent he unearthed - Duncan Ferguson - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/s ... -22346650/ About to be recalled to Scotland squad now charges have been dropped and his rise to prominence has unsurprisingly drawn admiring glances from afar, with a number of clubs reported to be chasing his signature. We get rid of Chopra a man with gambling and weight issues and get a hungry talented young international striker in with a point to prove for not much more than we sold Chopra. He will bag a load of goals. Yes Miller was a decent signing but I would love to have both in the same team. They would rip the Championship apart. So yes he's a win win for me. :ayatollah: .

Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm definately choosing the winger option, iv never seen conway play so don't know what to expect there but as for not many wingers out there, there's plenty! May have to offer some good money for some though. Wingers that have pace and can beat a man - wilfred zaha from palace, albert adomah from the wurzels (ripped naylor apart at ashton gate new years day) jimmy kebe? Hal robson kanu, paul anderson and mcleary from forest, wayne routledge, townsend from spurs on loan?(Was on loan at watford for a spell last season aswell as millwall) jamal campbell ryce from the wurzels.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:37 pm

jezzy666 wrote:Based on the current squad right now and the cover we already have. who or where would you spend our next transfer on

this should be interesting

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:24 pm

We need two or three more quality players, and any money after that should go towards the Bellamy swoop. I highly doubt he'll come home with his current wage demands, though.

:ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:17 am

Jollffe wrote:We need two or three more quality players, and any money after that should go towards the Bellamy swoop. I highly doubt he'll come home with his current wage demands, though.

:ayatollah:

i thin bellamy is still a long way away, but i also think he will come !!