Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

British Olympic team yes or no?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 am

I think yes for definite.

Bale, Ramsey, Collison maybe even Matthews deserve the chance to play in a major tournament.

I think it will be just like the Lions and will get fans behind them.

Re: British Olympic team yes or no?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:36 am

No.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:39 am

I don't see a reason not to. Why deny players like Bale and Ramsey the chance to play in the Olympics?
I hardly think FIFA will force us to play in a GB team permanenty and it'll be good to be represented in the football. Just as a one off considering it's being hosted here I don't see a reason why we shouldn't.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:50 am

this ^

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 pm

carpet20 wrote:this ^

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:23 pm

But there has been so much fuss just because its in London. Didnt see the same fuss when it was in Beijing and Athens

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:41 pm

YES

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:53 pm

MyNameIsAled wrote:I don't see a reason not to. Why deny players like Bale and Ramsey the chance to play in the Olympics?
I hardly think FIFA will force us to play in a GB team permanenty and it'll be good to be represented in the football. Just as a one off considering it's being hosted here I don't see a reason why we shouldn't.

England, funnily enough, aren't well liked.

Reducing the Home Nations power is something most in FIFA want.

Since you're all for it, why not ask yourself why FIFA won't put a guarantee - in writing - that a Team GB won't occur after the Olympics.

Why the hell do people want to risk our national team for a sake of a number of players individual "glory" in an event so damn meaningful there's been no Team GB for what 50 years?

Plus of course, given it's a non-FIFA event, there's no guarantee managers will want their players pre-seasons messed up by this. Bale has had a number of injuries, you think Spurs would release him for it?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Blue Army wrote:But there has been so much fuss just because its in London. Didnt see the same fuss when it was in Beijing and Athens

The reason there's so much fuss is because a. it's in the UK, so like playing at home, and b. because it's in the UK, we get guaranteed places in all of the events, so there's no qualifying to worry about (as a country, not individual athletes). I'm not sure that GB have ever really entered the football before, not in recent history anyway.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Yes without England who canImage :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ugeek:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:02 pm

But theres only guna be Ramsey and Bale who will have any realistic chance of playing. I know it will be a good experience for them but they shouldnt fight for the team for 1 tournament. If there is a team though i think that the Welsh FA should let them play because they got picked for their ability :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:56 pm

A yes from me. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Yes. Only for Bale and Rambo. I would love GB to win and then they strip the English players of their medals or something but let Bale and Rambo keep theirs for being class.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:29 pm

No.
It will be a disaster for the future of our national team. It will be introduced for other events as well.
Players will turn up for GB but not Wales.

Imagine all the credit going to Ingurland as well. It will be ingurland this, ingurland that constantlt, with no mention of our players.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:40 pm

maccydee wrote:I think yes for definite.

Bale, Ramsey, Collison maybe even Matthews deserve the chance to play in a major tournament.

I think it will be just like the Lions and will get fans behind them.

the olympics isn't really a major tornament though is it?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:50 pm

also i'm surprised that England want anything to do with this. considering its wedged right inbetween euro 2012 and the start of the season. the players who do play in both will have no rest. now luckily for welsh people who do support GB (of which i am NOT one), welsh players will probably have a little bit of free time during the european championships, but for those from nations likely to qualify (England being the main ones) i would be vehamently against team GB

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:15 pm

they see it as the only chance to win an international title, as the other big nations dont send proper teams there...

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Id say yes , i support all Brits in the Olympics regardless of which of the 4 nations is their home

Mad to think that a year tomorrow it all begins

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:49 am

Nope, sets a precident and Adolf Blatter may try to use it as a whip for the FA

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:56 am

Definitely NO. Why should professional football players play in the Olympic games anyway ??? :old:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 am

NO :evil: :twisted:

For the reasons Nerd outlined.

Not a fan of hosting the Olympics anyway, transformed a interesting area of London I used to visit a lot into another gentrified dead identikit could be anywhere area, it's also a total waste of money for this country.