Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RIP My Local Club

Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:33 pm

Andover FC my local club (play in Southern League-southern division) today folded. Often i pop over to watch them and my young lad plays for the under 8s. Sadly today the shareholders announced that due to ongoing losses and lack of support the club would cease to exist. Feel really sorry for the 70-80 diehard fans.

Makes me mad that they have gone through for the sake of 10k or so. That sort of money is f**k all compared to the prem league-John Terry earns that for 10 minutes on the pitch.

Re: RIP My Local Club

Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:59 pm

Its a sad indictment on football today in Britain, the amount that is getting pumped into the premier league is horrific, and lower leagues and grass roots football is being left behind

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:02 pm

splottbluebird48 wrote:Its a sad indictment on football today in Britain, the amount that is getting pumped into the premier league is horrific, and lower leagues and grass roots football is being left behind

The greedy league has totally destroyed grass roots football. The Sky money should be pumped into non-league and kids football. When you hear the likes of David Cotterill getting double his wages because his team mates got his clubinto the top flight it proves football has gone tits up. Not forgetting Eddie Johnson earning 20k a week.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:04 pm

it's a sad day for football when any club goes to the wall

i get angry with the welsh FA /government when our own welsh league clubs gets poxy grants to keep them going throughout the year and yet rugby clubs are funded left right and centre by our powers to be :evil:

rugby.............1 football ......0 here in wales

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:06 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:it's a sad day for football when any club goes to the wall

i get angry with the welsh FA /government when our own welsh league clubs gets poxy grants to keep them going throughout the year and yet rugby clubs are funded left right and centre by our powers to be :evil:

In Andover it is armchair fans of Man U, Chelsea, Scouse, Arsenal and Man Citeh who have helped destroy their local club.

Going back to Wales the bias towards rugby is incredible.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:28 pm

I just think that the FA should focus more on the lower leagued football clubs. I'm happy with our position, and I think the Jacks and Newport are, but those struggling with debt should be helped out, be it by fellow clubs, fans or the FA.

It's a shame to see any club go bust. :(

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:35 pm

It's only recently that the FAW have been supplying Football Clubs with tickets to Internationals, following the WRU. It's about time too. But still not enough, my football club has 48 kids and 23 adults on their books, thats a total of 71 people without including the parents. Yet the FAW have said we can have 50 tickets, with 70% of sales going back into the FAW. That means if all 48 kids want to go, around 8 coaches would miss out, along with 23 of the Senior side. Come on FAW, Sort it out.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Always sad when a club goes under.

Words can not describe how much I hate egg-chasing, Welsh in particular. The support they get from the establishment here is obscene. :evil: Hope that they lose every game they ever play.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:54 am

and to add salt to the wound the current spending of the premier league clubs now stands at 194 million pounds this transfer window with about 30 days to go .

They expect the final spending to exceed well over 250 million pounds .

is this the way forward for football in this country ?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:04 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
MOZZER1 wrote:it's a sad day for football when any club goes to the wall

In Andover it is armchair fans of Man U, Chelsea, Scouse, Arsenal and Man Citeh who have helped destroy their local club.

Going back to Wales the bias towards rugby is incredible.

In rugby the WRU fund Clubs and i am talking local Clubs like Abercynon, Mountain Ash etc around 13/14K per year dependent on how many age group rugby teams the Clubs have. Not knocking it because the money is for the Clubs to develop the grass roots of the game.

I may be wrong but i think the Welsh Premier League Clubs only get 5K per annum off the FAW which shows that the Football Clubs are paupers compared to Rugby Clubs in Wales :(

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:43 pm

You are correct it's only 5K :evil: