Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: I'm shocked that some think Kenny Miller is a bad signing.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 am

Over 46 games?

I'd deffo go with 20 plus.

I still don't think 30 is out of reach for Miller.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Miller is a cracking signing I think, I hope it doesn't bite me on the arse but I reckon he will score a hatful this season

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Right now I would go as far as saying he is the best striker in this league and we got him for less then a million.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:44 pm

quadsas wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:Nope.

Cos I understand the difference between Boyd and Miller.

But don't forget to check out what Boyd did at Forest when the team was built around his style of play.

What's the difference between Boyd and Miller then? Boyd is better than Miller in basically every aspect of the game.

Boyd has a better goal scoring record.

But to an extent that is because he is a far more selfish player than Miller.

Boyd plays for Boyd. He plays to get as many goals for himself as possible and does not hold up the ball or work hard for the team.

MIller is a more unselfish team player.

To say Boyd is bettr in basically eevry aspect of the game is rubbish.

Malky obvioulsy rates him. So does Nathan Blake and with respect I would rather their views than someone who in another thread seems to base at least some of his opinions on Football Manager!!!

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:
quadsas wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:Nope.

Cos I understand the difference between Boyd and Miller.

But don't forget to check out what Boyd did at Forest when the team was built around his style of play.

What's the difference between Boyd and Miller then? Boyd is better than Miller in basically every aspect of the game.

Boyd plays for Boyd. He plays to get as many goals for himself as possible and does not hold up the ball or work hard for the team.

To say Boyd is bettr in basically eevry aspect of the game is rubbish.

Malky obvioulsy rates him. So does Nathan Blake and with respect I would rather their views than someone who in another thread seems to base at least some of his opinions on Football Manager!!!

If you are that stupid and don't understand why I did mention FM in another thread, then I don't have to reply at all. But if you aren't, then you should realise that FM portrays players abilities way better than anyone on this forum does, real scouts use FM (in case you didn't know), hundreds of people work on scouting alone on FM, and we know JACK SHIT about Rudy, so FM is the best we can guess, and people still see FM just as game, when it also is one of most powerful scouting engines ever

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Is this the same FM that has Naylor as a good player?

Case f*cking closed!

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 pm

quadsas wrote:If you are that stupid and don't understand why I did mention FM in another thread, then I don't have to reply at all. But if you aren't, then you should realise that FM portrays players abilities way better than anyone on this forum does, real scouts use FM (in case you didn't know), hundreds of people work on scouting alone on FM, and we know JACK SHIT about Rudy, so FM is the best we can guess, and people still see FM just as game, when it also is one of most powerful scouting engines ever

Hyperbole much?

Stats for players in FM are generated by fans. TOBW on CCMB compiles Cardiff data. That's why data isn't always accurate. Anybody can look at data and think, "hmmm". One example is Darcy Blake's passing, which is often shocking in real life. It's also why data patches are regularly released. It's also why Sega's forums ( well, when up ) have a forum for people to give data corrections.

That's also why you see "wonder" players quickly found and bought by people in the game who never pan out in real life.

Real scouts may look at FM data - although even then, only the start data would be remotely useful because stats improve with training. It would play such a minor part of any scout's role though.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:48 pm

i dont think he claimed the 100% accuracy or reliability. all he referred to was that its a guidline and a lot more info than we have right now even if it cant be all correct.

quadsas and his opinions really do make me disagree but with this FM one, all he is saying is that its a bit more info than we had. he is not saying its correct and he will turn into a hero.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:49 pm

nerd wrote:
quadsas wrote:If you are that stupid and don't understand why I did mention FM in another thread, then I don't have to reply at all. But if you aren't, then you should realise that FM portrays players abilities way better than anyone on this forum does, real scouts use FM (in case you didn't know), hundreds of people work on scouting alone on FM, and we know JACK SHIT about Rudy, so FM is the best we can guess, and people still see FM just as game, when it also is one of most powerful scouting engines ever

Hyperbole much?

Stats for players in FM are generated by fans. TOBW on CCMB compiles Cardiff data. That's why data isn't always accurate. Anybody can look at data and think, "hmmm". One example is Darcy Blake's passing, which is often shocking in real life. It's also why data patches are regularly released. It's also why Sega's forums ( well, when up ) have a forum for people to give data corrections.

That's also why you see "wonder" players quickly found and bought by people in the game who never pan out in real life.

Real scouts may look at FM data - although even then, only the start data would be remotely useful because stats improve with training. It would play such a minor part of any scout's role though.

Well wonder players are players who were hyped but never lived up to it. obv data will not be correct 100% of times, but who would you trust - a person who have seen him play numerous of times, or a guy who watched one friendly?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:54 pm

quadsas wrote:Well wonder players are players who were hyped but never lived up to it. obv data will not be correct 100% of times, but who would you trust - a person who have seen him play numerous of times, or a guy who watched one friendly?

If that was true, there wouldn't need to be data corrections - even of basic things like positions.

The people making the assessment, boiling skills down to a value between 1 and 20 are fans. Not professional trained athletes, not professional scouts.

Those skill forms are sent in, values are normalised at SI. Mostly to make sure people aren't vastly overrating squads...

Equally, you've only got to look at forums like this to see peoples opinion on players differing wildly - and those people have seen numerous matches.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:59 pm

nerd wrote:
quadsas wrote:Well wonder players are players who were hyped but never lived up to it. obv data will not be correct 100% of times, but who would you trust - a person who have seen him play numerous of times, or a guy who watched one friendly?

If that was true, there wouldn't need to be data corrections - even of basic things like positions.

The people making the assessment, boiling skills down to a value between 1 and 20 are fans. Not professional trained athletes, not professional scouts.

Those skill forms are sent in, values are normalised at SI. Mostly to make sure people aren't vastly overrating squads...

Equally, you've only got to look at forums like this to see peoples opinion on players differing wildly - and those people have seen numerous matches.

people get paid to work on FM database. I personally know Lithuanian researcher, and they work much harder and consult with club scouts and get paid nicely. There aren't many data corrections, and they are mainly not related to attributes, and Cardiff researcher is a real dumbass, he totally fucked up in FM11, couldn't even get chairman right, that's not why are you getting paid. Working on FM is much, much more complex thing than many people here imagine. But as I said, I'd rather trust experts, who can actually see if player is good or not, than random people who are biased fans.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Think hes quality,should score 20+ if he gets the service

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:I'm shocked that some think Kenny Miller is a bad signing.

It really goes to show the lack of football IQ that some Cardiff fans have.

'But look what he did a Derby........" - Miller wasn't the only player we have signed that played in that Derby team. We brought home another striker this season who scored less than Miller did in that Derby team.

Both Chops and Jay had failed to make an impact in football before they came here.

Miller is only 31. He is still in his prime and will get 30 goals in this league.

You and me argue about everything :lol:

But you've hit the nail on the head here.

When comments were made about how Miller done nowt at Derby it just underlined
that some mugs googled him on wikipedia. But failed to notice that Derby scored the
lowest number of goals ever that season, and scored the lowest ever amount of points
ever in the Premiership, and only won TWO goals all season. He scored FIVE goals in a
team that only scored 20 altogether.

Miller is a cleverer player than Earnie. Malky has said how he thinks they can build up a
great partnership? I'm not so sure, but Malky knows more than I do.

Miller is a very good signing. I dont actually like him, but he's going to be a very important
part of the team this season. He's not as lightweight as Earnie and is prepared to get
stuck in, and is taller. It could work?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:27 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:I'm shocked that some think Kenny Miller is a bad signing.

It really goes to show the lack of football IQ that some Cardiff fans have.

'But look what he did a Derby........" - Miller wasn't the only player we have signed that played in that Derby team. We brought home another striker this season who scored less than Miller did in that Derby team.

Both Chops and Jay had failed to make an impact in football before they came here.

Miller is only 31. He is still in his prime and will get 30 goals in this league.

You and me argue about everything :lol:

But you've hit the nail on the head here.

When comments were made about how Miller done nowt at Derby it just underlined
that some mugs googled him on wikipedia. But failed to notice that Derby scored the
lowest number of goals ever that season, and scored the lowest ever amount of points
ever in the Premiership, and only won TWO goals all season. He scored FIVE goals in a
team that only scored 20 altogether.

Miller is a cleverer player than Earnie. Malky has said how he thinks they can build up a
great partnership? I'm not so sure, but Malky knows more than I do.

Miller is a very good signing. I dont actually like him, but he's going to be a very important
part of the team this season. He's not as lightweight as Earnie and is prepared to get
stuck in, and is taller. It could work?

i same taff don't think earnie and miller would work but mm thinks so, guess we just have to wait and find out, but they both no where the goal is :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Am I the only person who thinks Miller is better than Chops?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:Am I the only person who thinks Miller is better than Chops?

i say more professinal than chops off the field i think but judge is still out on saying miller is better than chops :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:11 am

quadsas wrote:
Elwood Blues wrote:

To say Boyd is better in basically eevry aspect of the game is rubbish.

If you are that stupid and don't understand why I did mention FM in another thread, then I don't have to reply at all. But if you aren't, then you should realise that FM portrays players abilities way better than anyone on this forum does, real scouts use FM (in case you didn't know), hundreds of people work on scouting alone on FM, and we know JACK SHIT about Rudy, so FM is the best we can guess, and people still see FM just as game, when it also is one of most powerful scouting engines ever

And just who do you think you are calling someeone else stupid just because they disagree with you.

If you had bothered to read my post properly I did not compare FM to anyone on this forum but to Malky Mackay and Nathan Blake who between them have over 40 years experience in professional football and one of whom ( Blake) has actually played with Miller.

I did know that real scouts use FM and that Everton came to an agreement to use the database in 2008 but I would hope they do a little more research before they sign someone!!

You did'nt answer my point as to why you feel Boyd is a better player in every aspect of the game when managers he has played for have praised his finishing ability (better than Miller I admit here, although see my point below regarding Miller's record when he took over as no 9 from Boyd) but questioned other aspects of his play.

He needs a high quality midfield to create the chances for him or he is nothing special. And look how many Miller scored last season playing for a Rangers side with a far superior midfield to most of the division and without having to do a lot of Boyds work for him!!! . He was top scorer in the SPL despite missing a third of the season. His all round play is recognised as being superior to Boyd.