Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are Welsh people anti-American?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:41 pm

I am an American and wanted to vacation in Wales (probably Cardiff). I went to Ireland several months ago and got such a warm reception I was touched, plus I grew to appreciate the Celtic worldview. I thought Wales would offer another nice window onto the Celtic world, and one that not many people know a lot about. However, I've been reading that the Welsh are not as friendly as the Irish, and are insular and don't care for foreigners, especially Americans and English (sorry, but can't blame them too much for not liking the English). If this is not true, great, I'm booking my flights, but I don't want to have a miserable time and face anti-American sentiment so if anyone could answer this question and save the hassle I'd appreciate it.

Re: Are Welsh people anti-American?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:48 pm

You'll be fine in Cardiff mate multicutural city and that can't see you having a problem being American :)

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:49 pm

You should get a warm welcome mate :) I quite like the Yanks ( aslong as you don't call football soccer) :lol: I would recommend you stay in Cardiff though as coming from a proud Welshman - the rest of Wales isn't up to much :lol: . Hope you enjoy your trip if you do decide to come here :) Us welsh are generally a good bunch of people :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:51 pm

This is a wind up.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:55 pm

The Welsh are welcoming and friendly.

But a simple question for you, when you describe yourself as an American do you mean
(a) a citizen of the United States of America? OR
(b) a person who lives in either North America or South America?

It's an important question and the answer tends to be reflected in the way some Americans treat others.

When you visit Wales you will upset a lot of people if you cannot tell the difference between Wales, England and Great Britain.

If you arrive in Wales and have the knowledge to talk about the Welsh heritage in America then Welsh people will love you.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Griff wrote:The Welsh are welcoming and friendly.

But a simple question for you, when you describe yourself as an American do you mean

It's an important question and the answer tends to be reflected in the way some Americans treat others.

When you visit Wales you will upset a lot of people if you cannot tell the difference between Wales, England and Great Britain.

If you arrive in Wales and have the knowledge to talk about the Welsh heritage in America then Welsh people will love you.

Grif, just curious because I have never heard this sentiment before. Do you consider it arrogent when those from the U.S.A. refer to themselves as Americans?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Personally, I hate America, however I don't think you'll have a problem with the general Welsh population :mrgreen:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 pm

greenlawler wrote:

Grif, just curious because I have never heard this sentiment before. Do you consider it arrogent when those from the U.S.A. refer to themselves as Americans?

I believe it is arrogant if citizens of the USA use the term American in a way that is intended to exclude Canadians, Mexicans etc. Just as in the same way it is arrogant when English people use terms such as English and England when they mean British, Great Britain or the UK.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:23 pm

ive been to the USA 3 times, and of all the holidays and places ive been on ive found the americans to be the friendliest and most accommodating. personally, i love americans!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Griff wrote:
greenlawler wrote:

I believe it is arrogant if citizens of the USA use the term American in a way that is intended to exclude Canadians, Mexicans etc. Just as in the same way it is arrogant when English people use terms such as English and England when they mean British, Great Britain or the UK.

I appreciate your candor, however I think this is a bit different for several reasons: 1) People of the United States of America have always referred to themselves as Americans, even way before they came a large and prosperous country. 2) You can't compare the UK to the USA when talking about the terms British and American. Canada and Mexico are sovereign countries so we're not under the same government and each call ourselves different names. Which brings me to my last point: 3) other countries RARELY if EVER refer to themselves simply as Americans. People in Costa Rica refer to themselves as Costa Ricans, Brazil as Brazilians, Canada as Canadians, and so on. We do say North American, Central American, and South American, but that's no different from saying something like I am Welsh and European at the same time. It just so happens that the name of our country includes the name of two continents...In effect we are the UNITED STATES of America. It's not an arrogance thing, like I said, because we've called ourselves this way before we ever had any real power. And I've traveled extensively in Mexico and Canada, they all call us Americans or say we're "from the States".

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:36 pm

Griff wrote:
greenlawler wrote:

Grif I am not trying to be contrarian here I just do not believe these are the same context. First of all, Canadians refer to citizens of the U.S.A as Americans. Mexicans refer to U.S. citizens as Americans. It is not considered arrogent or inapropriate... "Americans" is a term accepted, at least in this hemisphere to mean you are from the USA. This is what is taught. This is the cultural norm. It is a slang....however I see your point about English people ussing the term English...I just think these are two totally different situations. :ayatollah:

Just saw Yankee 25's post :ayatollah: well said.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:47 pm

My friend the welsh, along with the Americans to be fair, are amare amongst the most friendliest people you are likley to meet.

Ive been to the States about 12 times and found the yanks to be the most openly welcoming people of anywhere i have visited in the world.

Which part of Ireland did you go? I tend to look at parts of Ireland more like a celtic Disney World purely for the tourists :D

However if you want to sample a true celtic out look get your ass to Wales

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:54 pm

Yankee25 wrote:I am an American and wanted to vacation in Wales (probably Cardiff). I went to Ireland several months ago and got such a warm reception I was touched, plus I grew to appreciate the Celtic worldview. I thought Wales would offer another nice window onto the Celtic world, and one that not many people know a lot about. However, I've been reading that the Welsh are not as friendly as the Irish, and are insular and don't care for foreigners, especially Americans and English (sorry, but can't blame them too much for not liking the English). If this is not true, great, I'm booking my flights, but I don't want to have a miserable time and face anti-American sentiment so if anyone could answer this question and save the hassle I'd appreciate it.

Hiya Mate

Firstly, you have to consider who the writers of the generalised crap you've 'read' about Welsh people being horrible etc. How can you say we don't care for foreigners when most of our country is full of them. Unlike the friendly Irish - we haven't bombed and shot ours out!

We've accepted foreigners (even the english) to our detriment possibly - we are seen as easy going but hard working and 'Welsh' - racial sluring only applies to welsh these days - you daren't say anything about blacks, asians or religions but the welsh are fair game. I expect this type of slander is what you have read my Yankee friend.

George Bush didn't do you any favours around the world and until recently this would have an impact on initial reaction to Americans throughout Europe.
Wales is a land of laughter, song and banter - a nation overshadowed and at times belittled by neighbour nations. You should come, and not just to cardiff. Dont listen to what the irish, scots and english say - most have them have no respect for us anyway.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 pm

As the song say's 'There'll be a welcome in the hillside'

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:58 pm

daibedwas wrote:My friend the welsh, along with the Americans to be fair, are amare amongst the most friendliest people you are likley to meet.

Ive been to the States about 12 times and found the yanks to be the most openly welcoming people of anywhere i have visited in the world.

Which part of Ireland did you go? I tend to look at parts of Ireland more like a celtic Disney World purely for the tourists :D

However if you want to sample a true celtic out look get your ass to Wales

Well, I went to Dublin of course, but also took trips to the countryside like Tipperary and Monaghan. I also went into Belfast for one day (which I know is know is part of the UK but is still geographically on the island of Ireland, just to hedge off ranting :-)

What I loved about the Irish is that they seemed to be relatively shy with strangers, but once you've broken into the group they are a barrel of laughs and very warm and funny. Americans I think approach it differently because we dont' find it odd to talk to strangers casually and just strike up a conversation with whomever--I think it's part of our egalitarian cultural view (some people think it's annoying or take it as clingy but it's really not. The last thing you want to be called in America is an elitist/snob, so most people (i.e. people worth knowing) will try to be down-to-earth because Americans are not impressed with titles.

Anyway, yes that's what I loved about the Irish, they were unassuming, and humble, down-to-earth and fun (I had quite the opposite experience my one and only time going to England and I'll tell you it rather soured it for me, so I'll probably never visit England again). Perhaps bigger partiers than we are--even though we do drink here we still have that Puritanical blood that makes us feel as if it's shameful to do so, so we don't get enough experience and then go buck wild when we're old enough because we've deprived ourselves for so long, haha.

So I'm looking forward to seeing the Welsh in a similar capacity to the welcoming Irish--just interested in mutual respect and having a good time with friends.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:47 pm

What I loved about the Irish is that they seemed to be relatively shy with strangers, but once you've broken into the group they are a barrel of laughs and very warm and funny. Americans I think approach it differently because we dont' find it odd to talk to strangers casually and just strike up a conversation with whomever--I think it's part of our egalitarian cultural view (some people think it's annoying or take it as clingy but it's really not. The last thing you want to be called in America is an elitist/snob, so most people (i.e. people worth knowing) will try to be down-to-earth because Americans are not impressed with titles.

Anyway, yes that's what I loved about the Irish, they were unassuming, and humble, down-to-earth and fun (I had quite the opposite experience my one and only time going to England and I'll tell you it rather soured it for me, so I'll probably never visit England again). Perhaps bigger partiers than we are--even though we do drink here we still have that Puritanical blood that makes us feel as if it's shameful to do so, so we don't get enough experience and then go buck wild when we're old enough because we've deprived ourselves for so long, haha.

So I'm looking forward to seeing the Welsh in a similar capacity to the welcoming Irish--just interested in mutual respect and having a good time with friends.[/quote]

I would totally agree with your observations there both American & Irish. I think if you enjoyed your time in Ireland you will have an equally agreable time in Wales as you will pretty much know what to expect.

Im sure if you approach Wales with the same attitude as you did Ireland you will have a fine trip. Thing is in parts of Wales they are far less used to dealing with tourists and all though people may not seem as out going, they will be all the more happier to see you there.... if that makes sense?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Come on over ...you'll have a great time! Croeso ;)

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:10 pm

There is no anti american feeling in Wales. In fact we have an american deli eating place with a lady from New York in an arcade next to the Owain Glyndwr pub in Central Cardiff. Most Americans overlook us for Scotland and Ireland. However the connections between the Two countries are very strong with Welsh ancestory having a huge impact in early immigration to the states . You will find idiots wherever you are sadly I encountered anti Welsh/British feeling in an Irish bar in Tulsa. And a lot of Americans seem more proud of their ancestory and claiming to be German-American or Irish American. A sense of belonging I guess in the commercial world that is the states. But Wales for sure is welcoming and you can experience the mountains and Welsh speaking North Wales, enjoy our rugged coastline and castles. If you plan to come over message me and a pint is there for you no problem. Best regards

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:There is no anti american feeling in Wales. In fact we have an american deli eating place with a lady from New York in an arcade next to the Owain Glyndwr pub in Central Cardiff. Most Americans overlook us for Scotland and Ireland. However the connections between the Two countries are very strong with Welsh ancestory having a huge impact in early immigration to the states . You will find idiots wherever you are sadly I encountered anti Welsh/British feeling in an Irish bar in Tulsa. And a lot of Americans seem more proud of their ancestory and claiming to be German-American or Irish American. A sense of belonging I guess in the commercial world that is the states. But Wales for sure is welcoming and you can experience the mountains and Welsh speaking North Wales, enjoy our rugged coastline and castles. If you plan to come over message me and a pint is there for you no problem. Best regards

How kind of you, truly :-) I have a feeling I will be pleasantly surprised in Wales. I specifically wanted to go there because I know nothing about the place and you're right, Americans travel to Ireland and Scotland a lot to experience Celtic culture. But for crying out loud, you guys still have your own beautiful language that you speak more frequently. Looking forward to the food too--sounds absolutely delicious :-)

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Marc wrote:This is a wind up.

:thumbup:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Yankee25 wrote:
Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:There is no anti american feeling in Wales. In fact we have an american deli eating place with a lady from New York in an arcade next to the Owain Glyndwr pub in Central Cardiff. Most Americans overlook us for Scotland and Ireland. However the connections between the Two countries are very strong with Welsh ancestory having a huge impact in early immigration to the states . You will find idiots wherever you are sadly I encountered anti Welsh/British feeling in an Irish bar in Tulsa. And a lot of Americans seem more proud of their ancestory and claiming to be German-American or Irish American. A sense of belonging I guess in the commercial world that is the states. But Wales for sure is welcoming and you can experience the mountains and Welsh speaking North Wales, enjoy our rugged coastline and castles. If you plan to come over message me and a pint is there for you no problem. Best regards

How kind of you, truly :-) I have a feeling I will be pleasantly surprised in Wales. I specifically wanted to go there because I know nothing about the place and you're right, Americans travel to Ireland and Scotland a lot to experience Celtic culture. But for crying out loud, you guys still have your own beautiful language that you speak more frequently. Looking forward to the food too--sounds absolutely delicious :-)

No problem !! If your visit Cardiff there would be plenty to keep you busy in the city or surrounding area, for example you may want to book yourself on a night in Cardiff Castle where they do traditional Welsh banquet evenings with harp music, singing etc.. , Caerphilly castle and Chepstow Castle can be reached easily by train from Cardiff also. For the banquet evenings youd be best checking their website to make sure they have them on when you visit. Any info you want drop me a message. As the song says we'll keep a welcome in the hillsides :ayatollah:
Last edited by Cefnfforestbluebird on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:

It's not a "wind up". Honestly I didn't even know what that meant so I had to look it up in a UK slang dictionary. I'm quite serious, sorry you haven't met more introspective people who enjoy life and what to kick it with the Welsh. I'm excited for Cardiff! You guys should come over to America too, I'm sure you'd have a blast :-)

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Yankee25 wrote:
Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:

It's not a "wind up". Honestly I didn't even know what that meant so I had to look it up in a UK slang dictionary. I'm quite serious, sorry you haven't met more introspective people who enjoy life and what to kick it with the Welsh. I'm excited for Cardiff! You guys should come over to America too, I'm sure you'd have a blast :-)

Well check this in your slang dictionary................." You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time"................Abraham Lincoln. 8-) 8-) ..........Who as I'm sure you are aware of. :?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Welsh not a freindly as the Irish.......your having a laugh!!!

Wind up surely :old:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:37 pm

Make sure you visit Caerphilly, one of the biggest castles in Europe.