Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malky has even got Whitts speaking like a fighter

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:33 am

Whitts wants to make us proud (from the Echo):

Cardiff City star Peter Whittingham has promised: “We want to do Bluebirds fans proud this season.”

This is a sixth Cardiff City season for the midfielder and new manager Malky Mackay has warned off clubs, including Ipswich Town, Norwich City, Portsmouth and Leicester City, saying; “He’s a fantastic footballer. He’s a Cardiff player and he’s staying a Cardiff player. Whittingham is central to my plans.”

Former Aston Villa and England Under-21 player Whittingham is happy to stay and battle to finally help City earn the promotion success players, fans and staff crave.

“When we look at what Swansea City did last season, it spurs us on. We want to do everybody proud. We need to turn things up again and push that extra step further.”

Whittingham signed for the Bluebirds during January 2007 and has made more than 200 Bluebirds appearances. He has fired 36 goals in the last two seasons.

The Nuneaton-born playmaker was given a central midfield role during the opening pre-season match against Charlton Athletic in Spain and was again playing through the middle for the clash with Celtic.

He partnered Icelandic international Aron Gunnarsson, signed from Coventry City, with Don Cowie and Andrew Taylor playing wide.

Re: Malky has even got Whitts speaking like a fighter

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:36 am

wow, i love whitts, but even that has shocked me.

MM !!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:44 am

I don't know what happened but since about 6 games from the end of last season it's as if someone has flicked a switch. He's just looked more determined, energetic, he's worked harder and is showing more balls. He's won me right over and I thought he was our best player last night along with Kev.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:08 am

I can't remember who he tackled in the second half last night, but it was a great challenge. Sliding in, he took the ball and cleaned the Celtic lad out in one motion. I had to question my eyesight when I realised it was Whitts making the challenge :lol:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:32 am

leeweb79 wrote:I can't remember who he tackled in the second half last night, but it was a great challenge. Sliding in, he took the ball and cleaned the Celtic lad out in one motion. I had to question my eyesight when I realised it was Whitts making the challenge :lol:

Me too, couldn't believe what i was seeing, never seen Whitts with that level of commitment to any chalenge. Malky is gonna get the best out of him....... this much is evident

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:36 am

He even chased down the keeper at one point after a back pass from Loovens :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:01 am

leeweb79 wrote:I can't remember who he tackled in the second half last night, but it was a great challenge. Sliding in, he took the ball and cleaned the Celtic lad out in one motion. I had to question my eyesight when I realised it was Whitts making the challenge :lol:

I think it was Hooper, who was definitely in on goal. Was very impressed! Maybe having the captain's armband on his sleeve at that point had some effect?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:12 am

yeah it was Hooper i was in tears at the tackle he flattened the poor bloke :lol: tbh thought i was watching a different player
Malky is going to make a god out of Whits i can see it now :lol:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:37 am

Agreed, i thought he was the stand player last night! some of the passes he made were outsanding! Definately one of our best players and whoever wanted him out were nuts!