Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CCFC V CELTIC PLAYER RATINGS

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:39 pm

I dont want this to come across as a very negative post as i genuinely do not feel that bad. However plenty of things came across tonight which should halt anyone thinking that we will be in the automatic shake up. To be fair Celtic are a good , settled team and are ahead of us on their pre season so it was always going to be a tough test but we really did lack quality tonight. As i keep stressing, this is a major rebuilding job, and its going to take time. I thought before tonight that if we finished in the top half of the table this season it would be an achievement and I still think that to be the case. My player ratings and views may be a bit harsh as its very very early days and you cant tell much in pre-season but im just saying as i saw it and im sure others have a different view.

Marshall - 8/10 - no chance with the goal, made some excellent saves and generally didnt put a foot wrong.

Naylor - 7/10 - a very tidy game for Naylor, good distribution and solid defensively.

Hudson - 7/10 - made some excellent blocks and interceptions and passed the ball well.

Gerrard - 6/10 - always gives his all but looked slow at times and he hoofs the ball aimlessly too often for my liking

McNaughton - 7/10 - a tidy performance from Super Kev. Reads the game so well and made some breaks forward but his passing was rusty at times.

Taylor - 6/10 - played out of position as a left winger and it showed. When he reverted to left back in the second half he was decent but doesnt look like he likes getting forward.

Gunnarson - 8/10 - i was impressed with Gunnarson, showed a lot of energy and put himself about. If he carries on like this im sure he will be a favourite.

Whittingham - 9/10 - my man of the match. In the first half he was the best player on the pitch and made a mockery of those who would like to see him leave. He was on another level to every city player! Superb!

Cowie - 5/10 - very quiet evening for Cowie, didnt offer much going forward and didnt give us much width. Hopefully he can improve as this certainly wasnt his best game.

Parkin - 3/10 - a horror show of a performance. Made a hash of a one on one and his hold up play and touch was abysmal. After what i have seen so far of the beast i think we may be better off with Eddie Johnson. Woeful!!

Mason - 4/10 - maybe seen as a tad harsh as he is only a kid but from tonights performance i wouldnt expect big things from him this season. He is still young, and finding his way, but two things were very apparent tonight. His touch needs a lot of work, as does his running off the defenders. No doubt he was nervous and trying to adapt to the pace of the game but certainly a lot of room for improvement.

Heaton - 7/10 - didnt have a lot to do but what he did he did competently.

Taiwo - 5/10 - nowhere near good enough for this level! Very poor.

Farrah - 5/10 - looked a bit overwhelmed by everything and struggled to impose himself on the game. Cant see him making the grade this season.

Jarvis - 5/10 - didnt have long to show what he could do but his control really let him down after whittingham had played a delightful ball through to him.

Keinan - 4/10 - looked very suspect under long balls and was almost at fault for a celtic goal from the result of his first touch. Needs to step his game up.

Gypes - 6/10 - decent enough and didnt do anything wrong.

Wildig - 6/10 - didnt get very long on the pitch so didnt get a chance to make much of an impression.

All in all not the best performance. Malky definitely needs to invest in some new strikers (which we know he is trying to do) and we are sorely lacking pace and trickery on the flanks! A long way to go until the start of the season but major work needs to take place if we are going to have any hope of challenging for the top 6. Despite it all it was still great to get back and watching Malky enthusiastically doing the ayatollah! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: CCFC V CELTIC PLAYER RATINGS

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:I dont want this to come across as a very negative post as i genuinely do not feel that bad. However plenty of things came across tonight which should halt anyone thinking that we will be in the automatic shake up. To be fair Celtic are a good , settled team and are ahead of us on their pre season so it was always going to be a tough test but we really did lack quality tonight. As i keep stressing, this is a major rebuilding job, and its going to take time. I thought before tonight that if we finished in the top half of the table this season it would be an achievement and I still think that to be the case. My player ratings and views may be a bit harsh as its very very early days and you cant tell much in pre-season but im just saying as i saw it and im sure others have a different view.

Marshall - 8/10 - no chance with the goal, made some excellent saves and generally didnt put a foot wrong.

Naylor - 7/10 - a very tidy game for Naylor, good distribution and solid defensively.

Hudson - 7/10 - made some excellent blocks and interceptions and passed the ball well.

Gerrard - 6/10 - always gives his all but looked slow at times and he hoofs the ball aimlessly too often for my liking

McNaughton - 7/10 - a tidy performance from Super Kev. Reads the game so well and made some breaks forward but his passing was rusty at times.

Taylor - 6/10 - played out of position as a left winger and it showed. When he reverted to left back in the second half he was decent but doesnt look like he likes getting forward.

Gunnarson - 8/10 - i was impressed with Gunnarson, showed a lot of energy and put himself about. If he carries on like this im sure he will be a favourite.

Whittingham - 9/10 - my man of the match. In the first half he was the best player on the pitch and made a mockery of those who would like to see him leave. He was on another level to every city player! Superb!

Cowie - 5/10 - very quiet evening for Cowie, didnt offer much going forward and didnt give us much width. Hopefully he can improve as this certainly wasnt his best game.

Parkin - 3/10 - a horror show of a performance. Made a hash of a one on one and his hold up play and touch was abysmal. After what i have seen so far of the beast i think we may be better off with Eddie Johnson. Woeful!!

Mason - 4/10 - maybe seen as a tad harsh as he is only a kid but from tonights performance i wouldnt expect big things from him this season. He is still young, and finding his way, but two things were very apparent tonight. His touch needs a lot of work, as does his running off the defenders. No doubt he was nervous and trying to adapt to the pace of the game but certainly a lot of room for improvement.

Heaton - 7/10 - didnt have a lot to do but what he did he did competently.

Taiwo - 5/10 - nowhere near good enough for this level! Very poor.

Farrah - 5/10 - looked a bit overwhelmed by everything and struggled to impose himself on the game. Cant see him making the grade this season.

Jarvis - 5/10 - didnt have long to show what he could do but his control really let him down after whittingham had played a delightful ball through to him.

Keinan - 4/10 - looked very suspect under long balls and was almost at fault for a celtic goal from the result of his first touch. Needs to step his game up.

Gypes - 6/10 - decent enough and didnt do anything wrong.

Wildig - 6/10 - didnt get very long on the pitch so didnt get a chance to make much of an impression.

All in all not the best performance. Malky definitely needs to invest in some new strikers (which we know he is trying to do) and we are sorely lacking pace and trickery on the flanks! A long way to go until the start of the season but major work needs to take place if we are going to have any hope of challenging for the top 6. Despite it all it was still great to get back and watching Malky enthusiastically doing the ayatollah! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

good post jimbo!
only thing i disagree on is Mason, thought he showed moments that if he was bulkier and stronger, wouldve payed off, that will come with time. he wasnt helped by parkin who didnt win many balls against loovens :ayatollah: