Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

my take on the game

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Keepers - didnt have much to do, we know what theyre all about. Marshall made a couple of decent saves

Naylor - did ok to my surprise, looks slightly trimmed and quicker (only slightly :lol: )

Hudson and gerrard - definitely our best pairing, hudson barone small mistake was a rock. Gerrard apart from his long balls played ok

Mcnaughton - same old, gave his all

Taylor - worked hard and nearly scored a screamer. Went left bk second half and looked solid

Gunnarsson - hes very dirty and more physical than i was expecting. Surprised me a lot. Bit slow but seemed good in the air and not afraid to throw himself in

Whitts - our motm. first half he controlled the game some great passes and seems a bit more physical than last season. He is our main man this season imo

Cowie - wanted to see him in the middle, worked hard and didnt stop. Didnt set the world alight but hes definitely not a wide man, for me anyway

Parkin - missed a sitter, lost most tussles with loovens and needs to improve his first touch

Mason - when this kid bulks up and gets stronger he will be a quality player, made intelligent runs and is not afraid to shoot.

This first half XI looked half decent and for the majority of the half, controlled the game

Second half we struggled to get a grip, ledley, commons and their number 3 were running the show.

All in all not a bad performance but its all about fitness and touch at this time, a fee more signings we know will come and we'll be ok lads.

Keep the faith and give them time
:ayatollah:

Re: my take on the game

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:33 pm

good post, disagree about mason, i thought he looked lost, afraid to challenge and quite frankly not up to spearheading a cardiff city front line. I know earnie and co were out but earnie and co may get injured and i would be concerned if Joe was our forward. One for the future agreed. Taylor, a bit lazy for me.... wants the ball to come to him rather than look for it...

I think Mlaky used this game to get to know his defence as opposed to winning the game.... lets hope we sign the few weve been linked with :ayatollah:

ps..... our support tonight was utter shite. outsung by fewer numbers. embarrasing

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 pm

bobbankbandit wrote:good post, disagree about mason, i thought he looked lost, afraid to challenge and quite frankly not up to spearheading a cardiff city front line. I know earnie and co were out but earnie and co may get injured and i would be concerned if Joe was our forward. One for the future agreed. Taylor, a bit lazy for me.... wants the ball to come to him rather than look for it...

I think Mlaky used this game to get to know his defence as opposed to winning the game.... lets hope we sign the few weve been linked with :ayatollah:

ps..... our support tonight was utter shite. outsung by fewer numbers. embarrasing

lets agree to disagree ;)
totally agree about the support but as we know, if it was a league game it would have been bouncing
i was impressed with their support but embarrassed for them when they did the poznan, it looks fun and all its not original anymore :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:42 pm

ive just done a player rating thread myself and by and large we seem to agree with each other. However i really dont like Hudson and Gerrard together, i feel they are too slow and need a quick partner. As for Mason i thought he looked completely out of his depth and needs vast improvement. In all honesty he showed nothing. His touch was poor and his running off the ball was awful. I lost count of the amount of times Whitts picked up the ball and looked to play it forward and Mason wasnt even moving! I definitely agree with you on Whitts though, he was outstanding and looked a class above!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Jimbo, everyone is praising mason except me and you ! what did we miss ? the lad didnt have a voice, couldnt use space, looked like a sunday park player. If we get goodwillie, miller and bellers along with earnie, mason and parkin will be selling burgers in the nininan stand. big move for the lad, but too big a move i think. midfield was ok, but we missed a JET or olinfinjana in there, Gunnarson was tough but even cowie and taylor played just ok. Appreciate its the first home game and very early stages, but these lads should be busting a bollock to impress malky and us.... didnt really see it tonight :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:57 pm

bobbankbandit wrote:Jimbo, everyone is praising mason except me and you ! what did we miss ? the lad didnt have a voice, couldnt use space, looked like a sunday park player. If we get goodwillie, miller and bellers along with earnie, mason and parkin will be selling burgers in the nininan stand. big move for the lad, but too big a move i think. midfield was ok, but we missed a JET or olinfinjana in there, Gunnarson was tough but even cowie and taylor played just ok. Appreciate its the first home game and very early stages, but these lads should be busting a bollock to impress malky and us.... didnt really see it tonight :ayatollah:

ha ha im trying not to be too harsh as its very early days but some of the performances were very average tonight. Lets hope that as they settle into the team, and get pre season behind them, they will come good. However Mason did look well off it tonight, he didnt show me anything and i am wondering just what Malky saw to persuade him to part with £250k. I dont want to criticise him too much as he is only young, and learning the game, but he has a lot of work to do if he is going to make any sort of impact this season. I wish him all the best as it must be hard moving to a new club and city when youre so young so ill keep encouraging him and hope he comes good!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 pm

bobbankbandit wrote:Jimbo, everyone is praising mason except me and you ! what did we miss ? the lad didnt have a voice, couldnt use space, looked like a sunday park player. If we get goodwillie, miller and bellers along with earnie, mason and parkin will be selling burgers in the nininan stand. big move for the lad, but too big a move i think. midfield was ok, but we missed a JET or olinfinjana in there, Gunnarson was tough but even cowie and taylor played just ok. Appreciate its the first home game and very early stages, but these lads should be busting a bollock to impress malky and us.... didnt really see it tonight :ayatollah:

like malky said, mason is one for the future and he will become a very good player for us. as it the biggest game (quality and pace wise) he's ever played in, he gave his all. we missed earnie big time and the lack of major quality up there proves we need more strikers :D

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:59 pm

eighty_8 wrote:Keepers - didnt have much to do, we know what theyre all about. Marshall made a couple of decent saves

Naylor - did ok to my surprise, looks slightly trimmed and quicker (only slightly :lol: )

Hudson and gerrard - definitely our best pairing, hudson barone small mistake was a rock. Gerrard apart from his long balls played ok

Mcnaughton - same old, gave his all

Taylor - worked hard and nearly scored a screamer. Went left bk second half and looked solid

Gunnarsson - hes very dirty and more physical than i was expecting. Surprised me a lot. Bit slow but seemed good in the air and not afraid to throw himself in

Whitts - our motm. first half he controlled the game some great passes and seems a bit more physical than last season. He is our main man this season imo

Cowie - wanted to see him in the middle, worked hard and didnt stop. Didnt set the world alight but hes definitely not a wide man, for me anyway

Parkin - missed a sitter, lost most tussles with loovens and needs to improve his first touch

Mason - when this kid bulks up and gets stronger he will be a quality player, made intelligent runs and is not afraid to shoot.

This first half XI looked half decent and for the majority of the half, controlled the game

Second half we struggled to get a grip, ledley, commons and their number 3 were running the show.

All in all not a bad performance but its all about fitness and touch at this time, a fee more signings we know will come and we'll be ok lads.

Keep the faith and give them time
:ayatollah:

i agree with you on all aspects, mason had a couple of nice touches, did look out of his depth a bit, wasnt strong enough ,

whitts looked way above the rest of the midfield. i was abit disappointed with gunnarsson, he liked the contact, but can see him picking up many a booking this yr,.. cowie was wasted out on right, worked hard though he def has a good engine..

i really hope that i dont see parkin start again though.. i honestly cannot see what he offers, he cant hold the ball up, cant win a header, cant shoot for shit, looses the ball under his feet... he really is awful...

on a plus side, naylor didnt play too badly at all.

thought taiwo was shocking too...