Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Positives

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:58 pm

It saddens me that after a defeat (or sometimes a win) all people can do is criticise!

Personally, I thought Parkin looked good for the best part of the first half. His fitness and pace have clearly improved, although he didn't carry that over that well to the second half. Would be a good impact sub though.

All of our youngsters have pace, which is a good start. Mason was a little panicky in areas, but on the whole looking very promising.

Whitts was given a lot of freedom by the looks of it, and benefited from that.

Kev was outstanding, good to see him getting down the wing and playing balls in.

Personally, I though (once everyone settled into it) Gunnarsson was our best player. Very phisical and committed to getting the ball. Definitely a good anchor to have in midfield while Whitts gets to float around a bit more.

Remember, we were missing 2 strong attacking players who are probably going to be starting XI, and more signings are on their way.

It's looking good, honestly. A 1-0 loss to Celtic who are ready to start their season is nothing to be ashamed of!

Re: Positives

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Yip agree with you.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:10 pm

spot on.

:ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Spot on ... Thought Gunnerson looked shit hot, good things to come from him I reckon. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Spot on ... Thought Gunnerson looked shit hot, good things to come from him I reckon. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:20 pm

parkin looked good ???

sorry hes not good enough and if he is going
to be playing for us then mid table for us.

hes got the built but falls over like hes 7 stone

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:23 pm

spikey wrote:parkin looked good ???

It wasn't for the whole game he looked good, it was just the fact that a few times in the first half he managed to break past his markers, which he can't normally do. If he can do this for the first 20 mins of a match, then he'd be even more useful coming on as a sub towards the end, or just adding some height when we need it.

People have too many preconceptions and just assume that because he's a big lad he's going to be useless.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Baarmy_Bluebird wrote:

It wasn't for the whole game he looked good, it was just the fact that a few times in the first half he managed to break past his markers, which he can't normally do. If he can do this for the first 20 mins of a match, then he'd be even more useful coming on as a sub towards the end, or just adding some height when we need it.

People have too many preconceptions and just assume that because he's a big lad he's going to be useless.

agree people already given up on him. to be fair he never gives up but still think he has part to play for us last 20 mins maybe he comes on just batters every one in site ha

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Baarmy_Bluebird wrote:

I know we all see games differently but I thought Parkin was embarassing. For the 1st half he fell over more than Bothroyd :roll:

As a big player the least you expect is for him to win a few flick-ons and he won 3 all game. Sorry just not good enough.

Gunnarsson looked very good, as did Taylor when he went back to full-back and Mason. Old stagers like Hudson and Whitts also played well although Whitts tired in the last 15 mins. Not a bad friendly performance just missing a spark upfront :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Thank god someone who makes sense other threads are full of shit with doom and gloom .

A nice positve post

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Thought Whitts was outstanding MOM easily.

Seeing as we lacked out and out widemen without Conway or Whitts out there and without Earnie (/Goodwillie/Miller) to play the ball too the system we played wasn't the best, however nor was it the system Malky intends to use imo, unless injuries ravage us.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:53 pm

im not too downheartened as Celtic are a good side and we are rebuilding but i 100% disagree with you on Parkin. I thought he was hopeless. Gunnarson was quality alongside Whitts but i thought he was the only new boy to shine tonight. Long way to go and im sure Malky has some targets to bring in, and the new boys are bound to improve as they gel and get sharper, but i honestly will settle for mid table this season.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:53 pm

I think as far as a starting XI goes, we'll probably see Taylor in Naylor's place, with Whitts playing on the left, and Cowie or someone who is a bit more attacking minded playing alongside Gunnar, leaving Conway to take the right.

As far as strikers go, I'm quite confident we'll have Miller, and failing that Goodwillie, playing alongside Earnie (or some combination of those three).

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Maybe our team next year will be

--Marshall--
--McNaughton--Hudson--Gerrard--Taylor--
--Gunnarson--Cowie--
--Conway-- --Whitts--
--Bellamy--Goodwillie--
Subs
GK. Heaton
RB. Quinn
LB. Naylor
CB. Keinan
CM.Wildig
CM Farah
ST. Miller

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 pm

I thought Parkin was ok however as I have said many times a good squad player to be brought on when we need a bit of size in the box but not to start he was knacked at the end but he has a go

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 pm

i didn't think we played that bad even though the long balls started to come back to haunt us. The football we played on the floor was amazing and Whitts looked like a different player today was outstanding Gunnar was fantastic but we did have non existent wingers. But the work ethic is amazing and Celtic are a good team, to be 100% honest i was only expecting a draw today but we did seem to give it are all, our support was dreadful though.
But nice to seem some one pointing positives instead of just all of the negatives still plenty of time to improve though
COME ON YOU BLUEBIRDS :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:38 pm

thomas9990 wrote:Maybe our team next year will be

--Marshall--
--Gunnarson--Cowie--
--Conway-- --Whitts--
--Bellamy--Goodwillie--
Subs
GK. Heaton
RB. Quinn
LB. Naylor
CB. Keinan
CM.Wildig
CM Farah
ST. Miller

No Earnshaw, McPhail or Blake?

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 pm

forgot about earny oops i tried editing it but it would not let me ill redo it now

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Heaton
McNaughton Hudson Gerrard Taylor
Cowie Gunnarson Whitts
Conway Goodwillie Bellamy

Or

Heaton
Conway Whitts Cowie/Gunnarson/Bellamy (2 from three)
Miller/Earnshaw Goodwillie

Just my opinion. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Maybe our team next year will be

------------------Marshall--------------------
-------------Gunnarson--Cowie---------------
--Conway----------------------------Whitts--
--------------Bellamy--Goodwillie------------
Subs
GK. Heaton
RB. Quinn
LB. Naylor
CB. Keinan
CB. Darcy
CM McPhail
ST. Miller
ST. Earny

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 pm

RFMH wrote:Heaton
Cowie Gunnarson Whitts

Or

Heaton
Conway Whitts Cowie/Gunnarson/Bellamy (2 from three)
Miller/Earnshaw Goodwillie

Just my opinion. :ayatollah:

not a bad team but the first 1 looks stronger

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:00 pm

RFMH wrote:Heaton
Cowie Gunnarson Whitts

Imagine this is what we'll see, but with Miller instead of Bellamy (purely because it's looking more likely at the moment). With Goodwillie and Miller being a bit more central with Conway wide, and effectively the reverse in MF, with Whitts out left. Kind of a staggered 4-3-3

------------- :) ----------
-------- :) ---- :) --------
- :) ------------------ :) -
----- :) ---- :) -----------
---------------------- :) --
--- :) ---------------------
-------- :) ---- :) --------

If that makes sense!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:34 am

Must agree about Parkin. For a big guy I cannot believe how easily he gets knocked off the ball, I though for the first half it was Bothroyd reincarnated.Also I think that given his size he is not that good in the air either and the fact that he is also slow for an upfront championship player then I cannot see him doing much for us this season.On a positive note, I thought our passing was good on times considering its virtually a new team and Marshall pulled off some great saves plus at least Malky was animated on the touchline which is quite refreshing don't you think.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:47 am

thomas9990 wrote:Maybe our team next year will be

--Marshall--
--Gunnarson--Cowie--
--Conway-- --Whitts--
--Bellamy--Goodwillie--
Subs
GK. Heaton
RB. Quinn
LB. Naylor