Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are we genuinely a Premiership club in the waiting?

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:41 am

In my opinion we are certainly building a machine that will be conditioned sufficiently for te EPL, and has the structures of practise that are consistent with models adopted by established EPL clubs that are no bigger than us.

It's all well and good acknowledging structures & adequate working processes etc, however having the right people that occupy the roles that fit into the structure is arguably even more important. Recent evidence certainly fills me with condidence that we have this. An example to reinforce this theory is the recent Canton Stand survey and the clubs subsequent actions following review of the findings. We now as fans have plenty of options proposed by the club in this respect and the lines of communication the club have formalised allows us to voice our preferences in what is a two way street, where we can be confident our feedback will be acted upon. Further examples include feedback we have provided on the club shop and how that area is now evolving (as per Carls updates etc), concourse areas, being family club of the year, the list truly does go on.

Acknowledging the importance of the people side of change is hugely important, and the aforementioned reflects we now have that at the club. We have rich successful businessmen pulling the financial strings as owners of the club, and running parallel to this we have a management structure at board level that seemingly knows exactly what approach to adopt to build this club into EPL territory. Gethin Jenkins is the focal point of this mission, and I don't think he can acquire enough credit at this point. He moved into the role in a difficult period overseen by the Riddler, financial turmoil, probably stepping on the toes of the internal empire DJ was allowed to build, and coming from a rugby background didn't get off on a great footing with us as fans either.

However, subsequent to Ridsdales and Jones' departure Jenkins imo has come into his own and has quickly identified his niche for success in his role - the aspect that will remain pivotal for longevity and long term gain....us the fans. We can conclude with conviction that a prime objective of his is to listen to us an staple procedures based on our feedback, whilst providing ample opportunity for us to voice our concerns via numerous mediums of both formal and informal communication. This I find most encouraging, as not only does Jenkins hold the importance of a basic business discipline of listening to it customer base in high regard, but he has the foresight and presence of mind to quantify that by tapping into the passion we have for our club and keeping us on side he is laying a platform for this club to one day reach its potential of support & size.

Any success we are destined to achieve however, is obviously underpinned by what we can achieve on the field. Although Jenkins and the hiring team came under a fair amount of criticism towards the end of the managerial appointment process, we are in a results business and the end result is that they got rid of Dave Jones and appointed one of the brightest young managers in the country, following a substantial review of all candidates which there were alot of.

The board have to be commended for Malky's appointment, and the apparent strategy of injecting youthful policies and new ideas both on and off the field. I'm aware we have no competitive action yet on which to evaluate Malky fully, but I think we're all extremely confident he's exactly right for our club at this point and will prove a success.

We have so much to be both proud and optimistic of at the moment, and I'm starting to feel lucky of the personnel we have at the club. We are now being given the stage both on and off the field to fully display why we are up there with the best fans in the country and this imo will be an integral factor as to why we will be a fully established modern EPL club sooner rather than later. We can all drive the dream in unison and finally deliver what the majority of us have years never genuinely believed was possible - I do believe fully we are primed for this and we are now ready to spread the Cardiff City gospel throughout the land and beyond...exciting times indeed BLOOOOOOOOOBIRDS! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Are we genuinely a Premiership club in the waiting?

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:25 am

Ditto :D

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 am

good post, even though i could'nt be bothered to read it all. The fact is, we got the stadium, the fanbase and the now ambitious owners who are running the club properly so we are a prem club in waiting.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:51 am

It is one thing to get to the EPL but it seems rather matter to stay there as Blackpool, Burnley, Reading and Hull have found out. Whilst it is heart warming to see the direction the club are heading (which I believe will be successful in getting us promoted) I do think that forward planning is needed so that we can establish ourselves once we get there.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:53 am

Good post here....

Well said ;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:14 pm

valleycasual wrote:Ditto :D

Haha :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:16 pm

murphy wrote:good post, even though i could'nt be bothered to read it all. The fact is, we got the stadium, the fanbase and the now ambitious owners who are running the club properly so we are a prem club in waiting.

The ambition of the owners is pretty fundamental to all this. The support in Malaysia alone if we achieve EPL status will be an effective springboard to take us into another league of revenue and exposure...all factors that will aide sustainability :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:It is one thing to get to the EPL but it seems rather matter to stay there as Blackpool, Burnley, Reading and Hull have found out. Whilst it is heart warming to see the direction the club are heading (which I believe will be successful in getting us promoted) I do think that forward planning is needed so that we can establish ourselves once we get there.

Agree fully mate. The long term planning aspect has to be pivotal in our push for the Prem. There is a huge opportunity here for the club to finally realise its potential in terms of support/size and continue building on the foundations that were laid in our FA Cup final cup run where support and interest (igniting previous City fans who'd lost the faith effectively) snowballed. It vitally important that is this not wasted on any quick fix measures as we want to engage the next generation of City fans whilst also keeping the more 'fickle' support on boars as well - all club has these and success is what reins them in. All important to going where we want to go and continuing the snowball effect :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:Good post here....

Well said ;)

:ayatollah:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Just printed it out and will use as my holiday read - will resond when i get back :lol:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:57 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Just printed it out and will use as my holiday read - will resond when i get back :lol:

Hahaha...pool side inspiration mun init, glad to of help :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:40 pm

We talk too much about it but never achieve it and sadly I have a fear that will always sum our club up. Plenty of talk the talk. Wish everyone, players, directors, fans, reporters would stop repeating all the time that the club is geared up for the Prem. We will only know that if we ever get there and stay there. If we ever do go up and come straight back down what would be said then. Would that mean we weren't geared up for the Prem after all. Let's for once in our life do the talking on the pitch.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:22 pm

No. We have to earn promotion just like everybody else. I'm 53 years old, and don't remember us in the top flight. :old: Hope that I live to see it, though :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:23 am

To balance the praise I've given the club here, I think they've been a bit greedy with tonights ticket prices. Surely they would want a pretty full stadium to welcome Malky and his new team by pitching prices at £10 tops, but unfortunately it looks like we'll be rattling about in there tonight

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:53 am

Citysince1964 wrote:We talk too much about it but never achieve it and sadly I have a fear that will always sum our club up. Plenty of talk the talk. Wish everyone, players, directors, fans, reporters would stop repeating all the time that the club is geared up for the Prem. We will only know that if we ever get there and stay there. If we ever do go up and come straight back down what would be said then. Would that mean we weren't geared up for the Prem after all. Let's for once in our life do the talking on the pitch.

I think his post is aimed more at how the Club is being run off the pitch than on it.

And he's right.

Blackpool, Burnley etc... very small clubs really, small fan base.. unless they were being
run exceptionally well as a club they would never be able to sustain Premiership football
without a very rich owner willing to pump money in hand over fist. Swansea will suffer
the same fate. But at least they've got there!

Tan is working on the Infrastructure at Cardiff City, from marketing, to ticket sales,
right from top to bottom. He is obviously also looking for that 'something' to help
underpin the Clubs sustainability in the Premiership (when we finally get there)...
Maybe it'll be revenue from Malaysia and the Far East? who knows how big we could
be over there? Who knows what his long term plans to market us over there are?

Who knows what sponsors may be waiting in the wings??

I know i feel a bit more secure with it being a business venture for him rather than
just a rich man buying a new toy. I can see a couple of huge clubs going bust in the
next few seasons as their debts escalate, the rich man decides to walk away, and
nobody comes in who can afford to bankroll them any more

I'm happy with the way we are progressing

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:17 am

Spot on Taffy mate...I'm very happy and encouraged as to how things are progressing. Instills real confidence that aspects that will realise our potential as a truly 'big' club are being stapled and a measured approach is being adopted - but more importantly the ambition and primary objective of Premiership football is very much at the forefront of their business strategy.

Sometimes I don't think we appreciate how lucky we are to be in this position :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:20 am

NIBluebird wrote:Just printed it out and will use as my holiday read - will resond when i get back :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:32 am

THe whole club seems to have freshened up, and its rubbing off on the fans who are more and more optimistic!! The thing is, its a difficult task to get out this league even if you have a great team and I just hope this good vibe about the club and fans can last and take us into the premiership!!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:45 am

easternblue wrote:THe whole club seems to have freshened up, and its rubbing off on the fans who are more and more optimistic!! The thing is, its a difficult task to get out this league even if you have a great team and I just hope this good vibe about the club and fans can last and take us into the premiership!!

Roger that mate...it would be fukn awesoms if we made it! :ayatollah: