Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " THE NINIAN PARK PUB NAME TO CHANGE "

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Why change the name? If ain't broke..

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:07 pm

To me it will always be the Ninian............the name represents our history,and I dont want to see that changed.Be a good idea though to name a section after Fred Keenor.........perhaps the "Keenor Lounge" or something. :old:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Billy Hunt. wrote:Why change the name? If ain't broke..

I think the problem is Billy mate that it IS broke, hence why they are looking for a name change, a new identity.

As fans we only see it busy on a Match Day but they are not doing a good trade through the other days I am guessing, due to a bad reputation.

Its like the Exhange when they changed their name to Robins Bar.

I can see where they are coming from but changing it from the Ninian to the Fred Keenor Pub wont make any difference in my opinion, If they want a clean slate, just call it the Cow and Bell or somthing :lol:, at the end of the day, if its a good pub people will go there regardles of what its called.

You have to remember, that the Pub needs Customers 7 days a week. and clearly the owner feels that the Name 'Ninian Park Pub' has a bad rep and doesnt realy entice people in except on a Match day, I can see where he's coming from.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm sorry but don't see the logic of the Fred keenor as previously said, still football related. People will still see the football link. Rebrand to 'the ninian' as a compromise? Dropping the park bit might stop some people linking it to the football ground and us cardiff fans, you could do the ole photos of canton and lord ninian trick then but not alienating us match going football types as we call it the ninian anyway.
If its possible id get rid of the car park, some grass instead. hedges around the outside and tables outside it's not really a drive to pub anyway and cant think of a pub in canton that can offer a decent beer garden. (get people walking through the door wanting to know whats going on if they can here the garden buzzing, and how much lost trade from people walking over into the car park with cans from tesco).and make sure there's staff to serve. My 2 pence worth, thanks

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:28 am

Hope they keep the Ninian name, feels like the last tribute to the greatest football stadium on earth. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 am

Also have to say thought there was a big improvement in the Ninian after their refit. Stopped walking past on match day now. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:03 am

Prefer it to stay as the Ninian--Perhaps drop the Park bit

Id also liek there to be a karaoke disco on Saturdays straight after the game

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:07 am

The Lord Ninian

Parc Y Ninian

or just a simple "Twenty Seven"

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:32 am

ninian for me............

always has been , and always will be... even if you change the name, people will stay say meet at the ninian...

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:28 am

I understand the concern of the Landlord that the reputation of the pub needs lifting and more often than not the change of identity to a 'struggling' establishment is the first port of call.

The Ninian Park Pub has been iconic throughout the years and it's a pub most definitely a pub worth saving. Unfortunately the pub these days only receives it optimum income on matchdays, which could be just twice a month. I have been in there on a normal weeknight before now and it's quiet. You only have to look at the location of the pub to work that out.

Personally I think it needs more than a change of name. It needs fresh ideas.

My idea would be to jump on the Malaysian bandwagon while it's still in full throw. Call it 'Bar Malaysia' or 'The Malaysian' or along those lines. I'm sure TG & co would fully endorse it. Carl could speak to TG for Malaysian contacts for decor and most importantly FOOD. Food is the winner in pubs these days (for regular weekly income) and people would travel to the pub to eat a drifferent culture of food. All TG has to supply is the name of a decent Malaysian chef. You should, for obvious reasons, keep an English menu going too.

Marketing is a no brainer.

Just my opinion. If I can help in anyway just give me a shout.

:ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 am

Keyser Soze wrote:I understand the concern of the Landlord that the reputation of the pub needs lifting and more often than not the change of identity to a 'struggling' establishment is the first port of call.

The Ninian Park Pub has been iconic throughout the years and it's a pub most definitely worth saving. Unfortunately the pub these days only receives it optimum income on matchdays, which could be just twice a month. I have been in there on a normal weeknight before now and it's quiet. You only have to look at the location of the pub to work that out.

My idea would be to jump on the Malaysian bandwagon while it's still in full throw. Call it 'Bar Malaysia' or 'The Malaysian' or along those lines. I'm sure TG & co would fully endorse it. Carl could speak to TG for Malaysian contacts for decor and most importantly FOOD. Food is the winner in pubs these days (for regular weekly income) and people would travel to the pub to eat a drifferent culture of food. All TG has to supply is the name of a decent Malaysian chef. You should, for obvious reasons, keep an English menu going too.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 am

If the brewery are selling the naming rights how about asking VT if he would fancy the Berjaya Bar in exchange for £1m worth of CCFC shares ;)

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 am

nothing will save that place, its in a shithole area, the place itself is shit, just knock it down and build flats :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

the only thing i could think off is to use the car park, extend or turn it into a nice beer garden with grass etc like the front of that sand martin , but again, it boils down to the area around, its like afghan

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:09 am

As others have said the place will always be known as the Nin' so there is no need to change the name. If the owners wish to include Fred Keenor's name why not name the public bar the Fred Keenor Bar.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:02 am

Why not call it The Golden Ticket and any profits used for strengthening the squad.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:09 am

How about:

'The Malkaysian'

Pastures new and all that.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:59 am

I'VE READ ALL THE COMMENTS SO FAR AND THE GENERAL OPINION SEEMS TO BE THAT ITS A SHITHOLE THAT SOME FANS WONT DRINK THERE WHATEVER THE NAME.
IT ALSO APPEARS THE PLACE NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OUT OF THE 1980's AND INTO A MORE MODERN ERA.
SO A REVAMP IS NEEDED OR THE PLACE WILL DIE (well i think thats what i got from all the posts so far!)

If a revamp (glasses, staff, a makeover inside and out, some outside seats etc) occurs it will surely have to have a new name to act as the catalyst to the re-launch.
We must remember that we have 4 to 5 times the crowds than we had in the 80's and this is the closest pub to the 'new field of dreams'. This could be a great place if the people involved listen to the comments, however, it will need a new name to take away the stigma for what our own fans are calling 'a shithole pub'.
With our history etc - i think the name should be changed to.....
The Lord Ninian

Instead of swindling the fans on matchdays, they could introduce gimmicks like loyalty cards or group deals for a round or vouchers for a meal/drink in the week etc.

AS FANS - WE CAN'T LET THIS PUB GO. BUT AS CUSTOMERS THE PUB NEEDS TO IMPROVE. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:07 pm

It should be called bothroyd pub because 90% in there keep falling over :roll:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:I understand the concern of the Landlord that the reputation of the pub needs lifting and more often than not the change of identity to a 'struggling' establishment is the first port of call.

The Ninian Park Pub has been iconic throughout the years and it's a pub most definitely worth saving. Unfortunately the pub these days only receives it optimum income on matchdays, which could be just twice a month. I have been in there on a normal weeknight before now and it's quiet. You only have to look at the location of the pub to work that out.

Can't think of much worse than calling it Bar Malaysia to be honest. Keep the name or close it down, plenty of other family pubs.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:12 pm

What about Prince (formerly known as the Ninian Park)

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:13 pm

I can see why there after a name change, a new start etc. i go in once a week when i finish teaching across the road, and am the only person in there, been in for breakfast a few times only person there.
So i say do whats best for you lot as its your business, you need the pub busy all day every day not for 2 hours on a saturday, people who go in for an hour pre kick off cant moan whatever you do really. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Keep it as the 'Ninian Park'. Somebody on here joked about them changing the name of the railway station as well, but hopefully not. These are the last visible links to our historic ground, apart from the new housing estate, but you know what I mean. :ayatollah: Nothing against Fred Keenor, but Ninian for me.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Why not keep the Pub Name the same but in honour of Fred Keenor etc, you could name the lounge the " F K Lounge" and the bar likewise could be given its own name

Just a thought!! :D

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:16 pm

it will be a shame if it changes from the ninian but i think the owner is trying to give the pub a different image so cant fault him for that,as long as its still associated wit the football club im fine with what ever name he decides ,main thing i guess is there is still a pub there :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:08 pm

If it remains the Ninian during non match days it will be very quiet
If it is changed to the Fred Keenor Pub it will still remain very quiet
If is changed to the tw*t in a silver hat it would still be very quiet.
In short this Pub is in the wrong area. No one wants to use it. Perhaps if they threw some sawdust over the floor and had strippers doing things with ping pong balls maybe you could get Baz and Mrs Ramsgate in there. Other than that it is a dead pub operating.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Personally, i think it would be a mistake to change the name from Ninian Park, as it is a part & parcel of the whole DNA, fabric, history & culture of the geographic area of Leckwith & Canton. Why not change the name of the railway station opposite as well?? It would be a big mistake imho!

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:11 pm

The Ninian Park madness to change it. Should also try serving the beer in real glasses.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Crap cider, plastic glasses, cant get served and pricey so call it what you want I will be in Canton :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:33 pm

Mate, the pub has a real hard core of regulars who in my opinion will always refer to the pub as The Ninian so why not change the name from The Ninian Park Hotel to simply The Ninian. That way we don't lose the association with our former home and The Ninian is also the name of one of the stands at our new home. Just my opinion. Terry.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:56 pm

i'm against it in all honesty. we might be moving on but i don't think we should change the name of one of our main pubs. i want it to stay as the NINIAN!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: