Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " THE NINIAN PARK PUB NAME TO CHANGE "

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm

As others have said, if the owner wants to improve the pub, there are for more pressing matters than the name.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 pm

From Facebook :

Andrew Riste "im disgusted they have even considered changing the name of 'the nin' its a big part of cardiff city and the history of the club"

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:48 pm

I don't mind what its called, just wish they didnt put their prices up on match days!

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

I may be wrong but I would imagine the plastic pint glasses are out of the owners control. It's probably a licensing law upon the pub on match days. I wouldn't bother changing the name because there isn't a need. More pressing matters are prices and staffing on match day. Instead of charging extra, charge less and advertise the fact.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:52 pm

I know a few people have already said, but it will always be known as 'The Ninian' so I don't see any point changing the name, but that's just a personal opinion. :D

:ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:54 pm

dsw110885 wrote:I may be wrong but I would imagine the plastic pint glasses are out of the owners control. It's probably a licensing law upon the pub on match days. I wouldn't bother changing the name because there isn't a need. More pressing matters are prices and staffing on match day. Instead of charging extra, charge less and advertise the fact.

Other Pubs in Canton serve in Glasses. But at the very least they could use the sturdy plastic ones :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm

this isnt just some pub with a name and a bad tag
this somewhere many city fans go, because of its proud name. its a sense of belonging when you go the ninian, everyone knows it, everyone cares about it

i for one will go the Ninian

i will NOT be going to it if it is re-named

its like cardiff being re-named welsh celts..........

this is more than a pub

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:02 pm

I've gotta agree with what many others have said already... just because we moved from Ninian Park it does not mean the pubs name should have to change also... if the argument for a name change is that he wants it to be named after a big part of Cardiff's history by naming it after Fred Keenor, then I'm afraid to say that the clubs history doesn't get much bigger than the old lady herself.... so as far as I'm concerened, it should stay The Ninian Park

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Call it 'Trouble with Taffys Central' - it provides a realistic welcome for travelling supporters if they take the wrong route in + it will attract the desired family custom from the surrounding areas in the week...Casuals have families too :D

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:04 pm

bluebird04 wrote:this isnt just some pub with a name and a bad tag
this somewhere many city fans go, because of its proud name. its a sense of belonging when you go the ninian, everyone knows it, everyone cares about it

i for one will go the Ninian

i will NOT be going to it if it is re-named

its like cardiff being re-named welsh celts..........

this is more than a pub

Yes i go there on a Match Day. But be honest it is a dive, and i would never go there on a non Match Day. TBH i cant see it surviving as i believe it is dead during the week. But Defo the bar in the Lounge needs to be sorted but the two pint one is a good idea. But at the very least get the better standard of plastic Glasses. But changing the name of it will make no difference as i stated in the "Pig" post which someone deleted. (i dont know why did someone think it was Racist ? " :lol:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:07 pm

theres only one name that pub should be called,

the Ninian Park pub.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:11 pm

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have drunk n this pub since i was 16 (ok yeah a little underage) but being a local who still goes in - we pop the Nin (on non match days - on route to canton or into town and for sunday lunch) and it will always be the same for any local person

You have these pub chains going from slug n lettuce - then the next year it is the toad in the hole and the next month tomato n cucumber ffs - wat happened to names like the red lion !

They can change the name - that will never remove the history of the pub good and bad times!!!!

I know they are doing their upmost to change the clientle and good for them it needed a kick up the arse -

BUT please do consider keeping the one "original" thng about Cardiff and Cardiff City - preserve it for THESE younger generations you have coming through - my young son goes in there (pop n crips only!) lol yet he understands the link to where he lives- the history and yes the football - do no take away something unique :D

Yes there are other issues that need addressing as previously said that occur on match days BUT this has to remembered it is not ONLY open on footie days! AND o well done to the improvements within the establishment so far

PLEASE KEEP THE NAME THOUGH ! ot just as a fooball fan but as a local resident :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:11 pm

A good idea would be to get more staff on matchdays

I would suggest calling it "the tony Philiskirk* :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:18 pm

placid-casual wrote:A good idea would be to get more staff on matchdays

I would suggest calling it "the tony Philiskirk* :ayatollah:

Or the Jay Bothroyd !!! Always falling on its Arse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Keep the name in years to come it will be a lasting reminder of one of the most atmospheric Football Grounds that ever existed but if they want more custom they have to enlarge the bar in the lounge area :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Seriously, the name should not change from The Ninian...our famous old home has to have a physical, permanently recognised fixture within the environment of CCS that fans are able to use within their match day routes, to ensure the legacy of a truly famous and integral part of our history.

This should not be ignored, however if the viability of the pub and business itself is threatened by lack of trade throughout the week caused by the pubs image (if thats what a investigation is revealing) then I would suggest that if the name has to be changed then continue the theme of Ninian but call it a old stand name such as the Bob Bank or the Grange End

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Id like it to stay the ninian, although whatever its called Im not going to go in

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Its good to hear that John Bassett respects and is taking on board the fans input, and for that he should be commended. I guess the issue we have here is, who will be offended the most. If my grandfather was alive, he'd probably start some sort of fuss, because Ninian Park was very important to him, its where he use to meet up with his friends from the works, and walk up to Ninian Park. Do we want to lose those traditional values, even if we have gone through the bad times.

I guess the newer generation wont be so annoyed about it, we're willing to accept change and move on. Yet, we still get some people who cant accept we have moved on from Ninian Park (but they're very small minority). The name Ninian is associated to the heritage of our club, whilst some people may be reading this, thinking what bull sh## I'm talking about, thats your opinion and I dont give a cra#.

Are we fans willing to lose something else which is part of our football heritage, I'm willing to accept change, but there is limits to what can be changed. For example, how would people feel if our home jersey became white in the coming years (We know it will never happen), but people are making a fuss about the away jersey.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, no one will ever be satisfied, so the decision will have to be made for them, so we can blame them for the changes.

Anyways, what ever the decision is made in regards to the name, it should be strongly affiliated to the club, wouldnt mind going along with 'KEENORS', quite short, and my mate would be okay with that when hes drunk, because he struggles to say more than two words when hes wasted, when i'm trying to find where he is on the phone.
:ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:29 pm

He says that he feels the pub needs to move on just like the club did in moving to the CCS and then talks about going even further back in time and calling it the Keenor. It should remain the Ninian Park as a reminder of that great ground. I also think the sign outside the pub should show Ninian Park and not the 1927 Cup Final goal.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:35 pm

The Bluebird inn... Let's face it thou it's always gonna be known as the ninian thou init?
Last edited by Tiny84 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:35 pm

NONE ................... of you are gettin this fact that IF the want to move away of a so called Cardiff City reputation! - which i have to say was only ever on match days

THEN the name of the "NINIAN" pub is associated to CCFC so why cange it to another FOOTBALL named pub as being thrown about along the line of "Kennors" etc ???????????????????????

Something to think about ???

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Don't see the need to change personally. The Ninian Park has a certain affinity to the club (past and present) and its supporters....

If the name is to change I would prefer to keep it simple, such as 'Keenors'

OR....

What about 'Robin Fridays' or simply 'Fridays' with a suitable 'sign' outside??

Answers on a postcard as to what the sign might depict!!
:lol: :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Last edited by Sven on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Doesnt matter what the pub is called, people will always refer to it as 'the Nin', other improvements need to be made, time it takes to get served, toilets always messy etc. TBH, I'm fed up with all the 'family frendly' changes taking place everywhere, I dont want to go out for a drink and have kids running and screaming around me. Keep pubs for the people who they are intended for - adults! Theres a park up the road for the kids to play in!!

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Bluebirdchick wrote:Doesnt matter what the pub is called, people will always refer to it as 'the Nin', other improvements need to be made, time it takes to get served, toilets always messy etc. TBH, I'm fed up with all the 'family frendly' changes taking place everywhere, I dont want to go out for a drink and have kids running and screaming around me. Keep pubs for the people who they are intended for - adults! Theres a park up the road for the kids to play in!!

Well said Lass :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Bluebirdchick wrote:Doesnt matter what the pub is called, people will always refer to it as 'the Nin', other improvements need to be made, time it takes to get served, toilets always messy etc. TBH, I'm fed up with all the 'family frendly' changes taking place everywhere, I dont want to go out for a drink and have kids running and screaming around me. Keep pubs for the people who they are intended for - adults! Theres a park up the road for the kids to play in!!

You make a fair point, chick!! ;)

:ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Nice of the owner to ask as some would just change the name not giving a shit , I'll be honest only ever been in there 3 times as I know 1 or 2 lads that go there every game an I've managed to get served once due to the long ques an after 15 mins decide to just go stadium an get one in there, maybe on sunny days crack a beer tent outside with extra staff

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:44 pm

If they wanted to change the name to get away from the 'Football' side of it in order to attract people on other days apart from a Saturday I could understand that.

Changing it from the Ninian Park Pub to the Fred Keenor Pub wont make a blind bit of difference.

I dont use the pub anyway so I guess my opinion doesnt realy matter :lol: but that is what I think all the same.

I prefer to have a pint in town or if someone is driving a quiet pint in the Romilly.. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:46 pm

keep it the Ninian it will always be the Ninian no matter what you call it so leave the name as it is I think

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm

No change of name for me. will always be the Ninian for me.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:56 pm

had my first few pints in there when I came to wales the first time in 1990... hell, no name change... it HAS TO BE "the Ninian Park Pub"

a definite NO from me...