Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" THE NINIAN PARK PUB NAME TO CHANGE "

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Annis and I have been in conversations with John Bassett, owner of the Ninian Park pub and of Bassett Inn's with pubs all over South Wales and London, over the last couple of days regarding the name of the Ninian Park pub, as John believes that the pub name needs to move on like the club did when it moved to CCS.

John Bassett wants to keep the tradition of the pub being associated with CARDIFF CITY FC and would like opinions on the proposed new name of 'The FRED KEENOR' pub.

John believes that the pub had a bad name for a few years and has never shaken off that tag. Annis and I have given our opinions on the idea and have been asked to put this out to the members of the forum, as John stresses he does not wish to offend anybody with the proposed name change and he will be reading the forum over the course of the next few days to see the response.

If you feel it should remain the Ninian Park or like the idea of changing the name to 'Fred Keenor' then this is your opportunity to have your input and it will be read by the owner.

The pub has undergone a makeover and wishes to attract families throughout the week and on match days and is now a family friendly pub, with good home cooking and cheap lager. Sky Sports has been installed in both the bar and the lounge and on big screens and the function room is available for hire.

What are your opinions ?

Re: " THE NINIAN PARK PUB NAME TO CHANGE "

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:26 pm

WHAAAT, there goes a massive part of Ninian Park's spirit, should always remain there, REMEMBER NINIAN. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:27 pm

is this the breaking news
keep it the same keep a bit of our proud history as its name

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:27 pm

How about just using the surname? The "Keenor" Inn ? Or has the name actually already been finalised?

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:28 pm

I couldn't give a f**k what it is called as long as they use proper Glasses that all Pubs should use. :lol:
And have you finished the book yet Carl ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merlin wrote:How about just using the surname? The "Keenor" Inn ? Or has the name actually already been finalised?

No Craig it has not been finalised and this is the reason for this post, so John can judge the responses himself. :ayatollah:

I was sad when I looked at your headline but changing it to the Fred Keenor pub is a great idea I like it, :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Be nice to have 1927 beer prices too :lol:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Wuldn't go if they changed the name :cry:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 pm

what ever you change the name to it will always
be called the ninian cant see the point really
in changing

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Ask them if they can lower the prices first :lol:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:32 pm

I think they should keep the name. It is one little part of the past(the Ninian Park years) that remains, and the symbolism of that means a lot to many fans, and I would guess that it's current name would attract many nostalgics

I think changing to honour Keenor is a great idea. However, i can't think of any other suitable names, so that's the only thing it should be changed to. And if they want to get families in, get chip and pin readers in

From Facebook :

Alan Lydiard "nice tribute to Fred but i prefer the Ninian - although we moved and chose a new name for the stadium we should keep some of the history, but hes the owner and at the end of the day its nice that he suggests at this stage."

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 pm

To be honest Carl my biggest issue with the Ninian is the small bars and lack of staff serving at full pace on matchday, plus the plastic cups, if it remains the same next season I really can't see myself going in there, which I hate to say but it's how I feel! Queueing up for 20 mins for a pint is crazy! :(

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 pm

'The Dave Jones'...a tribute to the best manager we've ever had.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:34 pm

I'd be happy to go with the name change. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm

keep it NINIAN PARK PLZ :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

paulo wrote:I think changing to honour Keenor is a great idea. However, i can't think of any other suitable names, so that's the only thing it should be changed to. And if they want to get families in, get chip and pin readers in

Good idea :ayatollah:

And post more :lol:

Tommy Gun wrote:'The Dave Jones'...a tribute to the best manager we've ever had.

think he was on about the pub not the shithouses

If it's not broke, why fix it :? :? :? .................The pub doesn't need a name change. Serve people's beer in proper pint glasses, promote the establishment to reflect the needs of it's patrons. Create. improvise, visualise the very thing the pub and it's patrons want.(We are the one's who are paying).............. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Whatever they change the name to it will always be known as "the Ninian" :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 pm

'The Abraham and Curtis' :D

sleepers wrote:
Tommy Gun wrote:'The Dave Jones'...a tribute to the best manager we've ever had.

think he was on about the pub not the shithouses

:lol: :lol:

Can't quite understand the logic here.The pub says it needs to move on and break with the tradition of the Ninian name as we have done from our transition to the CCS but the pub is not really moving on but in fact moving further back by choosing a name that goes back further in our clubs history.I would still like the name Ninian myself but I suppopse Fred Keenor is better than some modern plastic name not associated with us at all.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Marc wrote:If it's not broke, why fix it :? :? :? .................The pub doesn't need a name change. Serve people's beer in proper pint glasses, promote the establishment to reflect the needs of it's patrons. Create. improvise, visualise the very thing the pub and it's patrons want.(We are the one's who are paying).............. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Here here fellow piss head :lol: :lol:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Keep it the Ninian for me.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:41 pm

They will be renaming the railway station next. :lol:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm

you need a family friendly

warm and attracting feeling to the name of the new inn being (THE MALLO INN ) cant get more tradditional than that ! :lol:

To attract families to the pub it needs to be massively refurbished and extended , VIA the bar onto the carpark. I think this place is being kept open by our fans on matchdays, yes times have changed down the city and we have become a family orientated club, but the pub itself needs more doing to it , changing the name won't attract the families, but changing the Outlook will, build it and they will come, but keep the memrabilia there and the Cardiff feel, as this is much a part of the history of the club as is the people who drink there. Changing the name wont make a difference but that just my opinion which will be one of many. the best way to promote the pub os like any other business, word of mouth people have a good expierence they will come back for more and tell their friends its all about customer service at the end of the day not a pub name .

Just a suggestion what about "The Lord NInian" pub? :ayatollah: