Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MID TABLE?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Whilst im pleased with the signings that we have made i currently feel we only have a chance of making mid table. Can we honestly say that the players we have signed are superior to Bellamy, Bothroyd, Chopra and Burke? Most of us have seen very little of the new boys in action so its difficult to say. Personally i still feel we are very short on pace and invention and that this desperately needs to be addressed. Im sure Malky has some targets in mind so hopefully this wont be an issue come the start of the season.

This is not intended at a dig at the club, or Malky, as I think both are currently working very well. I just hope that there isnt a lot of expectation this season and that everyone will be patient if things dont immediately go to plan. Malky has had to compltely rebuild a demoralised squad that has been haunted by failure and personal issues. Its a big task and may take a little longer than we would all like. I hope all fans can be realistic and not automatically assume that we will be one of the front runners for promotion this season. When you look at the squads that West Ham, Birmingham and Leicester have then they will all expect to be up there and then there are the likes of Blackpool, Southampton, Forrest, Leeds, Brighton and Burnley to also consider. Its definitely going to be a lot harder than last season!

Re: MID TABLE?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:19 pm

i will stay patient this season and if things dont go right i wouldnt get on malkys back and hope no one else would but i think he is aiming big for this season and i think we have a chance for atleast a play off spot but thats just my opinion in malky we trust! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:19 pm

To be honest with so many new players coming in, a new manager and new back room staff. I would accept a top ten finish.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:20 pm

Yes, this year will be exceedingly tough. I think that you can remove the loss of Burke as I think we have got him covered with a better player.

We need to get in some decent strikers to push for a higher league positions. I have a slight incline that Bothroyd will be back come August.

Who are you expecting us to sign for us to be up there anyway? Losing 8 players is a shock to a side and we didn't have a large squad as it was. At this moment, we need to trust the new manager in his judgement, perhaps he believes these players are enough to contend with the top spots.

All I know is that wherever we finish next season, I'll still be a bluebird.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Frantic wrote:Yes, this year will be exceedingly tough. I think that you can remove the loss of Burke as I think we have got him covered with a better player.

We need to get in some decent strikers to push for a higher league positions. I have a slight incline that Bothroyd will be back come August.

Who are you expecting us to sign for us to be up there anyway? Losing 8 players is a shock to a side and we didn't have a large squad as it was. At this moment, we need to trust the new manager in his judgement, perhaps he believes these players are enough to contend with the top spots.

All I know is that wherever we finish next season, I'll still be a bluebird.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:25 pm

come the start of the season ,we will have bellamy to replace bellamy earnshaw to replace chopra conway to replace burke ,and hopefully goodwillie to replace bothroyd ,if goodwillie does not come ,i trust mm to bring some one else in ,dont forget bothroyds replacement would only have to perform in the games he felt like ,in the others he just has to fall over and sit on his arse arguing with the referee, top 6 im sure :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :old:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:Whilst im pleased with the signings that we have made i currently feel we only have a chance of making mid table. Can we honestly say that the players we have signed are superior to Bellamy, Bothroyd, Chopra and Burke? Most of us have seen very little of the new boys in action so its difficult to say. Personally i still feel we are very short on pace and invention and that this desperately needs to be addressed. Im sure Malky has some targets in mind so hopefully this wont be an issue come the start of the season.

This is not intended at a dig at the club, or Malky, as I think both are currently working very well. I just hope that there isnt a lot of expectation this season and that everyone will be patient if things dont immediately go to plan. Malky has had to compltely rebuild a demoralised squad that has been haunted by failure and personal issues. Its a big task and may take a little longer than we would all like. I hope all fans can be realistic and not automatically assume that we will be one of the front runners for promotion this season. When you look at the squads that West Ham, Birmingham and Leicester have then they will all expect to be up there and then there are the likes of Blackpool, Southampton, Forrest, Leeds, Brighton and Burnley to also consider. Its definitely going to be a lot harder than last season!

Nah we're going to win the league!! :ayatollah:

Only joking mate. I totally agree with you I do feel we got an outside chance of making the playoffs at present and i think if we do get in them it will be hell of an acheivement. I'm just looking forward to a new era and better football and not just lump up to bothroyd and go from there, i also think the atmosphere will be better this year. As you say i aint seen much of the players we've signed apart from earnie but obviously have high hopes from what i have read/seen on youtube. Cant wait the rollercoster to start again now. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm sorry, but IMO Don Cowie is one of the best midfielders in the league, was an absolutely cracking signing. Aron Gunnarson is another cracking signing who I expected to go to a Prem club, David Goodwillie is the current best striker in Scotland with Conway being one of the best wingers and Andrew Taylor is also an excellent signing.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:03 pm

ComeOnCity wrote:I'm sorry, but IMO Don Cowie is one of the best midfielders in the league, was an absolutely cracking signing. Aron Gunnarson is another cracking signing who I expected to go to a Prem club, David Goodwillie is the current best striker in Scotland with Conway being one of the best wingers and Andrew Taylor is also an excellent signing.

ive heard good things about Cowie and Conway but how often have you personally seen them play? I think all of the signings look decent and im pleased they are here but we havent yet signed Goodwillie, who would give us pace and invention, and ive not seen us linked with too many other players who could offer us this. I do however feel that Bellamy will come back at the end of the transfer window, so this will be a plus (although he wont have completed a proper pre season!) and i hope Malky can pull something stunning out of the bag.

Having lost so many players from last seasons squad it is going to be hard to replace them all, and to also get all of the squad settled, and playing how Malky would like. I feel this wont be a quick fix and if we are top 10 or above this season then that will be a decent start. If we finish in the top 6 then i will be delighted. It will certainly be nice to see a new style of play and not to look at DJ's miserable mug in the dug out every week! MALKY MACKAYS BARMY ARMY! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:56 pm

a top 6 finish with a nearly new team would be an awesome achievement. I would settle for around 10th. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:40 pm

SA17 Bluebird wrote:To be honest with so many new players coming in, a new manager and new back room staff. I would accept a top ten finish.

Yep, that's my opinion as well.

If we can challenge for the last play-off place i'd be delighted.

:ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:24 pm

ComeOnCity wrote:I'm sorry, but IMO Don Cowie is one of the best midfielders in the league, was an absolutely cracking signing. Aron Gunnarson is another cracking signing who I expected to go to a Prem club, David Goodwillie is the current best striker in Scotland with Conway being one of the best wingers and Andrew Taylor is also an excellent signing.

Spot on.

We managed to finish in the Play-Offs last season with erm...

Naylor
No-mas
JET
Rae
Jay Lloyd samuel
Byepass me Water
Olifin-sometimes
Chopra half fit
Bothroyd not arsed

We have the same defence as last season, with Gerrard back and Taylor added
meaning McNaughton can go to right back, and Malky already stating he wants
at least one more defender

Our midfield is f*cking nailed on now, we have skill, power, pace, stamina
and drive

Malky Mackay has only been here a fortnight.

Two more weeks from now we will all be talking first or second place

NAILED ON, TAKE IT TO THE BANK FACT

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:59 pm

my expectation is not high for this season as we will have a new bunch of players who may well need time to gel and get too know each other but mm is doing a fantastic job so far and he's only been doing it for a couple of weeks. With the signings mm has made and what we have been linked too this could one hell of a ride this season so wether we finish 1st or last ill still be a bluebird come next season. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:12 pm

Conway is better than Burke.

Earnshaw has a better attitude than Jay and can score as many if not more goals, but lacks jay's creativity.

Bellamy is one of the top players in the country so obviously can't be replaced.

Chopra was a waste of space towards the end. \

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:05 am

I agree with the opinion that talented players are able to "gel" faster.
As pointed out already...brand new to our team last season were Bellamy, Koumas, Oli, JET, Keinan, Naylor, Bywater, Keogh, Drinks, Rambo!, JLS...
Also, the turnover in the first 11 was frequent, rarely seeing the same 11 play twice in a row.
We went VERY CLOSE TO PROMOTION...would you say that team gelled? If they did it was quick!
And that was playing for DJ, most of us are seeing MM as a far better manager and motivator.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Cardiff City will be promoted this season, it may have to be through the playoffs, but we will do it this time. :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:Whilst im pleased with the signings that we have made i currently feel we only have a chance of making mid table. Can we honestly say that the players we have signed are superior to Bellamy, Bothroyd, Chopra and Burke? Most of us have seen very little of the new boys in action so its difficult to say. Personally i still feel we are very short on pace and invention and that this desperately needs to be addressed. Im sure Malky has some targets in mind so hopefully this wont be an issue come the start of the season.

nothing beats a positive post :lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:54 pm

just think we need to be realistic mate and not pile lots of pressure onto a new manager and new squad. We have lost a hell of a lot of players and are replacing them with frees. Many of us havent seen a lot of the players who we have signed yet judging by some of the posts on here you would have thought we had signed established superstars.

Im very happy with how we are progressing, and I like what I here about the new boys, but im hoping everyone will be realistic and give the new manager, and new signings, time and support if they dont immediately hit the ground running. Of course im hoping they start strongly, and are challenging for a top 2 place all season, but lets not all get carried away (as we do every pre season). This rebuilding job may take longer then we would like but i think Malky is the man who can finally get us up, if we are all patient.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:just think we need to be realistic mate and not pile lots of pressure onto a new manager and new squad. We have lost a hell of a lot of players and are replacing them with frees. Many of us havent seen a lot of the players who we have signed yet judging by some of the posts on here you would have thought we had signed established superstars.

Im very happy with how we are progressing, and I like what I here about the new boys, but im hoping everyone will be realistic and give the new manager, and new signings, time and support if they dont immediately hit the ground running. Of course im hoping they start strongly, and are challenging for a top 2 place all season, but lets not all get carried away (as we do every pre season). This rebuilding job may take longer then we would like but i think Malky is the man who can finally get us up, if we are all patient.

realstic????????????come on mate this is cardiff city we are talking about you know what its like we win a few games and its we are going up as champions,lose a few games its malkay out we are getting relagated :lol:,i dont think anybody is a good as bellamy and if he dont resign for us we wont get better replacement but for the other i think the new signings are better than what we got rid of,chopra had gone off the rails so earnie is as good or not better i think earnie will score more than 9(as chops did last year)and we haven signed a replacement as yet for bothroyd :ayatollah: