Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What is the draw for the players?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:41 pm

It seems to me that we are getting our targets and getting them in quickly (something I think we are all happy about). Knock on wood, since Malky arrived we have yet to experience those Jody Morris/Marcus Bent issues of the past. Everything has gone very smoothly so far with regards to bringing in players and it is making me wonder what the draw is for this current crop of players.

Over the past 10 years of growth for the club it is interesting to see why players have chosen to join the Bluebirds. During the Sam years, when a player signed we always heard about the how the club was a "sleeping giant". During the Jones era we always heard that players were "sold the dream". In hindsight, perhaps being "sold the dream" may have been code for "I've been offered ridiculous wages that no other club would even consider offering, plus I'm on my last leg and have worked with Senor Moans in the past at Wolves". Anyhow...

With a new manager, improved facilities, and a strong track record of recently being among the top clubs in the division I am beginning to wonder what this next group of recruits will claim as their draw to the City (for Earnie it's pretty obvious). I am hopeful that their response will be wanting to work for the new gaffer and I am hopeful that we aren't paying the ridiculous wages that were seen during the Ridsdale years. Whatever the club is doing, it's working.

Curious to hear what you all think the draw is to our club these days.

:ayatollah:

Re: What is the draw for the players?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:05 pm

chrisdoi wrote:It seems to me that we are getting our targets and getting them in quickly (something I think we are all happy about). Knock on wood, since Malky arrived we have yet to experience those Jody Morris/Marcus Bent issues of the past. Everything has gone very smoothly so far with regards to bringing in players and it is making me wonder what the draw is for this current crop of players.

Over the past 10 years of growth for the club it is interesting to see why players have chosen to join the Bluebirds. During the Sam years, when a player signed we always heard about the how the club was a "sleeping giant". During the Jones era we always heard that players were "sold the dream". In hindsight, perhaps being "sold the dream" may have been code for "I've been offered ridiculous wages that no other club would even consider offering, plus I'm on my last leg and have worked with Senor Moans in the past at Wolves". Anyhow...

With a new manager, improved facilities, and a strong track record of recently being among the top clubs in the division I am beginning to wonder what this next group of recruits will claim as their draw to the City (for Earnie it's pretty obvious). I am hopeful that their response will be wanting to work for the new gaffer and I am hopeful that we aren't paying the ridiculous wages that were seen during the Ridsdale years. Whatever the club is doing, it's working.

Curious to hear what you all think the draw is to our club these days.

Ambition of the club
Great city to live in for many reasons (Just ask the national geographic)
Passion of the fans
History and reputation of the club (other team's fans that I meet on holiday never want to talk about there own team but always ask about city)

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Ok well this isn't a knock at the players Malky has brought in because they are quality and I'm really happy with them but zim not really surprised that they've jumped at the chance to join us.

Craig Conway: playing in an average team albeit one of the better teams in the SPL. Spoken to Malky before and the clear advantages are that we have superb facilities compared to Dundee Utd and a chance to play with far better players in a far better league.

Don Cowie: He's obviously worked with Malky before so has a good understanding with him. Also, we again would have far better facilities than Watford but I think the biggest thing is that he has the chance to move to a promotion chasing team or stay at a club really heading in the wrong direction.

Andrew Taylor: Things having gone abit stale at his home town club, he started looking for a new club. He's then been presented with the opportunity to join a club that has far better facilities, ability to offer more money and also the chance of promotion over mid table safe finishes. Worked with Malky before so again has an understanding.

Earnie: I really don't need to state the reasons why he'd jump at the chance at coming home.

Gunnarsson: Previously playing in a very average team, he's now got the chance to play for a promotion chasing team rather than a second half placed team. The facilities will be better, the money will be better and a chance play for a proper club. No brained on his behalf.

So for me, these aren't really players that had to think long and hard about joining us. In each instance, the player has improved his club, including Earnie because we are a bigger and better club than forest at present.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:24 pm

yes agree with all that but remember they all chose us instead of other clubs i think for differing reasons actually but mainly ambition of our club plus fan size and obviously mm,long may it continue :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: