Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SCOTTISH PREM OR Championship Football

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:29 am

OK this is a huge debate but wanted your opinions .

My view is that the Scottish Prem is Championship football at best .

Only two teams competing year in year out is not good for football

Nowe we have players and a manager from Scotland and looking to recruit more surely the Championship is far more appealing than Scottish Prem ??

Why should Rangers and Celtic dicatete and have the right to purchase cream of scottish players ?

A number of players are almost afraid to step down out of Scotland but personally I think the top 3 finishers in Scottish Prem should start life in the Championship if they want Premiership opportunity in English League

I do not think they would walk away with Championship league and maybe a top 6 team in our league.

This is not an anti old firm but with Goodwillie / Rangers debate and our players leaving for Celtic a good topic to debate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: SCOTTISH PREM OR Championship Football

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:19 am

In my opinion The Championship is by far better and more competative than the Scottish Leugue. I think Rangers and Celtic if given chance would struggle in the english lgs such as the premiership or even the championship to be a top side :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: Celtic and Rangers are big clubs dont get me wrong but only in Scotland :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:25 am

NPower Championships is far better and bigger. You only have to look at the teams in our league compared to the SPL.

Obviously, Celtic and Rangers are a different kettle of fish but even think that we could give them a run for their money.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:25 am

The Championship is much better, in my opinion it's not even close between the 2 :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:41 am

Warren of Merthyr wrote:In my opinion The Championship is by far better and more competative than the Scottish Leugue. I think Rangers and Celtic if given chance would struggle in the english lgs such as the premiership or even the championship to be a top side :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: Celtic and Rangers are big clubs dont get me wrong but only in Scotland :ayatollah:

Be sensible now Celtic & Rangers have huge world wide following that most clubs would love to have,i agree that the SPL isnt the strongest league in the world but to suggest they would struggle in the championship is silly,I would love us to have the same world wide support & history as them,hopefully one day we will :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:55 am

as a league, the Championship is much more attractive than the SPL... SPL is 2 teams only, was different a few years back, when u had the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee Utd playing a good part...

however, I'd see Celtic and Rangers playing in midtable of the Premiership, tbh. They have proven it in many European games, when competing against PL outfits or other big names in the European setup.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:49 am

citygardens73 wrote:
Warren of Merthyr wrote:In my opinion The Championship is by far better and more competative than the Scottish Leugue. I think Rangers and Celtic if given chance would struggle in the english lgs such as the premiership or even the championship to be a top side :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: Celtic and Rangers are big clubs dont get me wrong but only in Scotland :ayatollah:

Be sensible now Celtic & Rangers have huge world wide following that most clubs would love to have,i agree that the SPL isnt the strongest league in the world but to suggest they would struggle in the championship is silly,I would love us to have the same world wide support & history as them,hopefully one day we will :ayatollah:

Not struggle but doubt you would walk away wity title , problem is your revenue stream , Champions League is almost a false dawn as you both qualify annually then fall aside

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmm !!! :old:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:07 pm

the scottish prem has potentiol...but theres just so little fans, its tedius that celtic or rangers win everything. I think heart have the 3rd highest attendance of 12-13k. piss poor. If more fans went to games, there would be better football and better players.

same with the welsh league

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:16 pm

I dare say that a few teams from League 2 would have a good game against the likes of St Mirren and Hamilton etc

Celtic and Rangers only reguarly attract half decent players due to the fact that there is practically guaranteed European football and half decent wages.

It was a big shame a few years ago that when Hearts had the chance to break the trend it was taken away from them when politcal boardroom matters got out of hand and the chairman tried taking over the team, this resulting in George Burley leaving and they seem to have downwards spirralled ever since.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:23 pm

NIBluebird wrote:
citygardens73 wrote:

Not struggle but doubt you would walk away wity title , problem is your revenue stream , Champions League is almost a false dawn as you both qualify annually then fall aside

The revenue stream is the main reason they would not struggle,there matchday revenue alone is 2-3 times greater then most championship sides,which means they could attract the better players & pay the higher wages :geek: but the championship is far more competitive week in week out :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Championship without a doubt. Apart from Celtic and Rangers, the SPL is League 1 standard, if not worse....