Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Match Winners

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm chuffed to beans that for the first time in years, we are building a squad for the forthcoming season.

Full of young, hungry players with something to prove...

One thing that does concern me though, is the lack of match winners and sheer class currently in our squad. Aside from Earnie and Whitt's if we look long and hard at our current team - can we honestly say we have players who could score from nothing or turn a game on its head when the going gets tough?

I don't want to sound negative, because i'm very excited about the forthcoming season and believe both Jenkins and Mackay are doing a class job so far.

But at this level I do think you need a few match winners, how do you guys feel about this? Do you think Malky will splash the cash to bring this element into our squad?

Re: Match Winners

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:34 pm

I think there's 2 players that we all hope we sign that are potential match winners and that's goodwillie and bellamy, if somehow we can both of those players or even just 1 of them I think they have that extra class to win a close game. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Can't see Bellamy coming really, time to move on

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Randy Udderway wrote:Can't see Bellamy coming really, time to move on

i can see bellamy more as a bluebird than ever! he is holding out so man city release him. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Why would Bellamy push now....there's plenty of time before the start of the season, he's still drawing his wages, I think he will sort it before the window closes :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Bluebird_steve wrote:I think there's 2 players that we all hope we sign that are potential match winners and that's goodwillie and bellamy, if somehow we can both of those players or even just 1 of them I think they have that extra class to win a close game. :ayatollah:

I feel the same mate. I spend a week in Dundee every 8 weeks and know several Dundee United season ticket holders and have seen Goodwillie play before.

I think if we bought him in with Beller's - they would give us what we need. 2 million for an SPL player is a lot of cash and just signifies how good Goodwillie actually is.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:06 pm

i agree..

def think we need maybe two quality proven players who can totally control the game... maybe a top striker and another midfielder.

at the moment i cant see where we are going to get an individual to score 20 or so goals..

i really dont think that parkin is the answer... he could well be someone to chuck in the mix with 10 or 20 mins to go, but i really dont think he jas the quality to hold the ball up and bring others in to the game...

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:i agree..

def think we need maybe two quality proven players who can totally control the game... maybe a top striker and another midfielder.

at the moment i cant see where we are going to get an individual to score 20 or so goals..

i really dont think that parkin is the answer... he could well be someone to chuck in the mix with 10 or 20 mins to go, but i really dont think he jas the quality to hold the ball up and bring others in to the game...

I agree mate. I never like criticising our players, espiecially at times like this. But if we really take a long hard look at our options at the moment - I don't think Parkin is a 20 goal a season player - he is very effective at what he does, but I don't believe he can turn a game on it's head in the same way. No disrespect to him - I'd love him to make me eat my words. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 pm

12thMan wrote:I'm chuffed to beans that for the first time in years, we are building a squad for the forthcoming season.

Full of young, hungry players with something to prove...

One thing that does concern me though, is the lack of match winners and sheer class currently in our squad. Aside from Earnie and Whitt's if we look long and hard at our current team - can we honestly say we have players who could score from nothing or turn a game on its head when the going gets tough?

I don't want to sound negative, because i'm very excited about the forthcoming season and believe both Jenkins and Mackay are doing a class job so far.

But at this level I do think you need a few match winners, how do you guys feel about this? Do you think Malky will splash the cash to bring this element into our squad?

i am happy with what he is doing,i have always wanted young hungry players with a good leader that can get the most from them :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 pm

12thMan wrote:

I agree mate. I never like criticising our players, espiecially at times like this. But if we really take a long hard look at our options at the moment - I don't think Parkin is a 20 goal a season player - he is very effective at what he does, but I don't believe he can turn a game on it's head in the same way. No disrespect to him - I'd love him to make me eat my words. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

def would love to eat my words....

lets be honest... he needs to work on his touch, he looks more at home playing british bulldogs!! sometimes its cringe worthy to see his control etc..
he def needs to work hard in pre season..

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
12thMan wrote:

def would love to eat my words....

lets be honest... he needs to work on his touch, he looks more at home playing british bulldogs!! sometimes its cringe worthy to see his control etc..
he def needs to work hard in pre season..

One thing I notice about Parkin, is that the ball gets caught under his feet alot and when he takes his eye off the ball to lookup he loses control.

I think that this is normally caused by tiredness, when your sharpness and awareness dips. Hopefully he gets in shape this summer and he comes back next season alot more able on the ball.

Fingers crossed mate!!!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:44 pm

We had the following "matchwinners" last season

Jay Bothroyd
Michael Chopra
Jason Koumas
Seyi Olifinjana
Chris Burke

None of these really delivered,take away Bothroyds blistering start to the season he had a shocker

Chopra, sadly declined, although I admire him as he made me look like an athelete

Koumas............................What can I say

Olifinjana.....Brilliant or rubbish..........therefore unreliable

Chris Burke was a shadow of his former self...

The signings made so far, put me in mind of the hungry players who wanted it more than ours at QPR and Blackpool, their teams with the odd exception Adam and Tarabt were pretty much journeymen pro's we seem to signing players who actually want to play for us and are hungry to be a success. :D

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Craig conway could be a match winner,scored some important goals for Dundee utd