Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

minimum wage for first year apprentice is........

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:35 pm

£2.50 per hour,i know that not many jobs about but,f@ck me no wonder youngsters dont wont to work for money like that,shocking :ayatollah:

Re: minimum wage for first year apprentice is........

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Work Based Learning (old YTS) is £1.50 a hour, lush in it!!

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Yeah i quit my apprentice cos of that

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:41 pm

CardiffCityCulture wrote:Work Based Learning (old YTS) is £1.50 a hour, lush in it!!

is this true :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:45 pm

i am a qualified electrician,started my apprenticeship in 1980,started on 68p an hour,but prices were according ie. 5 litres(gallon) of petrol were about £1.i think £2.50 today is scandalous :( :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:54 pm

THATS £100 a week,probably living at home and getting the opportunity to learn a trade.
My advice would be take the job.bite the bullet and in a couple of years time him/her will look back
and say "I'm glad I took that job"

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:59 pm

stickywicket wrote:THATS £100 a week,probably living at home and getting the opportunity to learn a trade.
My advice would be take the job.bite the bullet and in a couple of years time him/her will look back

i know what your saying,but cheap labour springs to mind,its not even minimum wage,and what im saying is that you can earn more going on the dole and doing f@ck all,wheres the incentive, :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:06 pm

stickywicket wrote:THATS £100 a week,probably living at home and getting the opportunity to learn a trade.

Hit and his SW.

I certainly would recommend a youngster to take an apprenticeship over a degree course. However and in a way like a degree course I would be very careful what apprenticeship to take. People use to say take an electrical one as you are set up for life. Well a life later that is not turning out to be the case. I'm seing qualified and experienced electricians being outdone by your over night new breed of electricin who were say car mechanics but now are elctricians because of some 6 week course.

Chose an apprenticeship that is going to need a lot of call in the future.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:07 pm

krab wrote:

i know what your saying,but cheap labour springs to mind,its not even minimum wage,and what im saying is that you can earn more going on the dole and doing f@ck all,wheres the incentive, :ayatollah:

It's not cheap labour, its giving a young lad training, a job and career. The wage goes up each year.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:12 pm

im currently looking for an apprenticeship ive got level 2 city and guilds in electrics. and tbh i really dont care about 2.50 as i was only getting £30 a week in college.
i just want to be in the trade :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:14 pm

bluecityblue wrote:
krab wrote:

It's not cheap labour, its giving a young lad training, a job and career. The wage goes up each year.

it is cheap labour,it should at least be minimum wage,you trying to teach young adults that it is better to be working,so for me minimum wage is right and fair :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:51 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:im currently looking for an apprenticeship ive got level 2 city and guilds in electrics. and tbh i really dont care about 2.50 as i was only getting £30 a week in college.

I'm in the same position i've got my city & guilds level 2 and 3 in plumbing, just need on the job experience to do my NVQ it's hard work trying to find work

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:20 pm

Works out £97.50 TAKE HOME per week I got to of em with me but if you look at the value of what they earn you as a business sometimes they dont even earn that wage never mind earn you money.You have to spend time teaching them so you are not earning money every time you stop to help em.

The hope is they progress to full nvq 2 level qualifications and you keep the good ones to work for you to a standard of work you av taught them.

It has to be fair both ways and money should go up as they progress so at the end of 2 years they go up to £200 take home and then its up to them how far they go.But the £97.50 is fair to start from my experience given it takes about 5 years to no the trade of bricklaying but you never stop learning do you.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:43 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:im currently looking for an apprenticeship ive got level 2 city and guilds in electrics. and tbh i really dont care about 2.50 as i was only getting £30 a week in college.

give c.m.b.e a ring and tell them what you are after,they have picked up alot of work,better still go down ther :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 pm

One word.....Exploitation.

They're basically taking advantage of the high unemployment rate.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm

krab wrote:

give c.m.b.e a ring and tell them what you are after,they have picked up alot of work,better still go down ther :ayatollah:

cheers mate ill take a look tomorrow :D :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 pm

brickyblue wrote:Works out £97.50 TAKE HOME per week I got to of em with me but if you look at the value of what they earn you as a business sometimes they dont even earn that wage never mind earn you money.You have to spend time teaching them so you are not earning money every time you stop to help em.

The hope is they progress to full nvq 2 level qualifications and you keep the good ones to work for you to a standard of work you av taught them.

It has to be fair both ways and money should go up as they progress so at the end of 2 years they go up to £200 take home and then its up to them how far they go.But the £97.50 is fair to start from my experience given it takes about 5 years to no the trade of bricklaying but you never stop learning do you.

I agree.
A GOOD apprenticeship will involve a lot of varied training. It can often take a trademan longer to do a job by showing an apprentice how to do the job, then supervising him while he has a go, than if the tradesman did the job himself. Effectively the apprentice is only working half to a third of the time, so the rate is really equivalent to £5-£7.50 an hour.

However, with a BAD apprenticeship where the tradesman focusses on earning as much as he can, the apprentice does all the basic mind numbing jobs and learns only the minimum to get through. Then, YES the apprentice is being exploited.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:05 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:
krab wrote:

cheers mate ill take a look tomorrow :D :ayatollah:

by the way i am a spark,can you drive :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 pm

It is not a job when you are 16. It is an opportunity every other kid in the school would die for.

Like someone else said he probably lives at home and still gets educated. AND IT IS NOT A JOB. He is not making anything or providing a service.

He may in the future...that is what he is there for - to find out if he can.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:21 pm

barry boy wrote:It is not a job when you are 16. It is an opportunity every other kid in the school would die for.

Like someone else said he probably lives at home and still gets educated. AND IT IS NOT A JOB. He is not making anything or providing a service.

He may in the future...that is what he is there for - to find out if he can.

sorry,but i guess your not in construction,they will indeed do small jobs at first but will soon be used as part of the workforce,the building game has moved on vastly and you dont really have time to show apprentices what or how to do things. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:51 am

Midfield general wrote:Very short term thinking here. Getting a trade behind you is a fantastic opportunity to benefit you in later life.

no my friend,just realising that this is todays u.k.,minimum wage should be minimum wage,i done a 5 year apprenticeship i started my time on a quarter of a tradesmans money,so today its a sixth,minimum wage is a quarter :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:13 am

my first job was a government scheme in 1982 and i had £25 a week and £10 of that went to my mother as board and lodge! .... then i did an aprenticeship for 3 years earning, £30, £40 and £56 over the next 3 years! .... kids today get handouts from their parents and ferried about! they also cant go 5 mins not texting or phoning someone and throwing their money away on bullshit like that ... so my message is take the bloody aprenticeship and get on with it! :old:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:42 am

Lucky they are paid that amount if i had my way i would start 5 year olds cleaning chimneys, then at the age of 7 get them down the pits :D

they have it way too easy these days. making trainers for Nike etc etc(alledgedly) ;)

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:16 am

I got taken on Yesterday by Peter O'neill Heating & Plumbing,
On 2.50 and hour but they also have to pay 4 grand for the college fees, Saves me or my parents finding the money! :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:25 am

tomCCFC wrote:I got taken on Yesterday by Peter O'neill Heating & Plumbing,
On 2.50 and hour but they also have to pay 4 grand for the college fees, Saves me or my parents finding the money! :ayatollah:

thats the spirit butty! .... 4 years from now you`ll be earning loads of money! :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:44 pm

AHERNE wrote:
tomCCFC wrote:I got taken on Yesterday by Peter O'neill Heating & Plumbing,

thats the spirit butty! .... 4 years from now you`ll be earning loads of money! :ayatollah:

welldone mate,and believe me you wont be earning loads of money :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:12 pm

i work for a training provider and learners get £50 a week from WAG for between 30-40 on a work placement.
They don't have to pay for anything inclueding travel or PPE.
They get a qualification and all the training they need from basic skills(english and maths) Life skills and whatever us rellevent to the course they are doing.

They do not have to find an employer as this is done for them and It is totaly free for the empolyer to take them on and the employers get as much help with things like Health and safety as they need. It is up to the employer if the want to give the learners any extra money.

I have worked in this area for 2 years and it's very rewarding when a young learner gets a full time job because of what they have achieved over a small amount of time.

you may think it cheap labour but don't forget these employers are taking young people and giving them time traing and the prospects of having a career.

Yes i know it's not alot of money but this is all funded by WAG, but you have to work out the benifits to the young person.

If you disagree or agree with me but would like to understand or look into this i am more than happy to show you all around our purpose built centres.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:26 pm

corndog70 wrote:i work for a training provider and learners get £50 a week from WAG for between 30-40 on a work placement.
They don't have to pay for anything inclueding travel or PPE.
They get a qualification and all the training they need from basic skills(english and maths) Life skills and whatever us rellevent to the course they are doing.

They do not have to find an employer as this is done for them and It is totaly free for the empolyer to take them on and the employers get as much help with things like Health and safety as they need. It is up to the employer if the want to give the learners any extra money.

I have worked in this area for 2 years and it's very rewarding when a young learner gets a full time job because of what they have achieved over a small amount of time.

you may think it cheap labour but don't forget these employers are taking young people and giving them time traing and the prospects of having a career.

Yes i know it's not alot of money but this is all funded by WAG, but you have to work out the benifits to the young person.

If you disagree or agree with me but would like to understand or look into this i am more than happy to show you all around our purpose built centres.

i havnt knocked anything,and jesus after 30 years as an electrician i think i know what i am talking about,that is all i am saying is the money does not represent the effort put in by a apprentice,and you can understand why if it ever picks up out there then apprenticeships will go begging :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:54 pm

i havnt knocked anything,and jesus after 30 years as an electrician i think i know what i am talking about,that is all i am saying is the money does not represent the effort put in by a apprentice,and you can understand why if it ever picks up out there then apprenticeships will go begging :ayatollah:[/quote]

Krab
I never said you wereknocking anything i was only trying to give a brief overview of how we are helping the youth of today.
I agreed with you on the money.

The reason all this is now in place is so in the future we don't find ourselves in the position we are at present, without any appreticeships.
:ayatollah:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:25 pm

krab wrote:£2.50 per hour,i know that not many jobs about but,f@ck me no wonder youngsters dont wont to work for money like that,shocking :ayatollah:

Depends if it’s a proper apprentice then it’s worth it But if it’s the same old Mickey Mouse nvq yts shit that’s not worth the paper it’s written on better off finding a job