Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

More mason info

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:21 pm

PLYMOUTH Argyle striker Joe Mason has revealed he did not find it a difficult decision to turn down the chance of a transfer to Swindon Town.

The financially-stricken Pilgrims accepted an offer, thought to be £300,000, for Mason

from their League One rivals after snubbing two previous bids.

But 19-year-old Mason, born and bred in Plymouth, opted to stay at Home Park.

Swindon are seeking to add firepower to their squad after selling star striker Charlie Austin to Championship club Burnley.

Mason told The Herald: "To be honest, it wasn't a difficult decision to make.

"I'm sure Swindon are a really good club, but I have been at Argyle since I was 11 and if I'm going to leave I want to make sure it's the best possible move for me.

"It has got to be worth moving away from Argyle, and from Plymouth, for.

"I know the club needs money badly, but I had to think about myself. At the end of the day, it's my career and I didn't feel it was the right move for me."

Had Mason signed for Swindon, the transfer fee for him would have been paid up front. That would have allowed the Pilgrims to clear their tax debts arrears to HM Revenue and Customs.

In turn, that would have seen a transfer embargo on them lifted by the Football League.

Instead, Argyle manager Peter Reid is still prevented from signing any players on loan before the transfer window slams shut at 11pm tonight.

But Reid was still pleased Mason had decided not to leave for Swindon.

Reid said: "I'm happy about it. I understand the predicament the club is in, though, so maybe I'm being selfish."

He added: "Joe is a young footballer who I think has got a real chance."