Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Free Transfers Jones v Malky

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:49 pm

I know Malky wanted and needed to get some new faces in but we have done really well with free transfers so far.... Although Jones managed to sign some decent players I generally thought his transfer policy was pretty poor. Most seasons I would be disappointed as Jones spent so much time targeting and often failing to lure 'elusive' big names and yet failed to pick up some wonderful free transfers.

Despite signing Bellamy I thought Jones was left wanting slightly over transfers over the last 2 seasons. I think also Bellamy was always going to come to us last year regardless of the manager. Dekel looks decent enough but overall the last 2 seasons I think Jones started to make some howlers... especially when other teams were picking up decent free transfers. We did manage to get Burke but for all Burkes bluster and pace he delivered very little and kept getting sun stroke (in April!).

That seems to be readdressed with Malky because I think that his 'frees' have been excellent, he is though a lucky bugger because some key players he's worked with became free agents at the time he moves jobs.. Our gain though.

I'm sure there'll be some fees paid for one or two players but it goes to prove that the criticism us fans have received from Jones for setting our standards and expectations too high were nonsense. All seem pretty happy with the transfers so far and all we've spent is a few hundred grand on Oster... who is a decent footballer.

So all in all I'm happy with the last few weeks, Jones going, Malky arriving and a general feeling that the footballing side of things at city is taking a more positive, passionate and sensible direction. All Malky needs to do is get the buggers to play consistently well together and we are in for an exciting season.

Re: Free Transfers Jones v Malky

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Let's see how they before before building them up.

Re: Free Transfers Jones v Malky

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:54 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:. All seem pretty happy with the transfers so far and all we've spent is a few hundred grand on Oster... who is a decent footballer.

When did we sign oster? :roll: :lol: