Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Malaysians and Transfer Fees?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Anyone bothered to really think about the money the malaysians have (or haven't) spent on players regarding a "Transfer Fee" ?

Since they took charge can anyone think of another player other than Jon Parkin that they've actually spent money on as transfer fee? £100,000 is as expensive as they've come so far, and even THAT has been arranged to be payed over 2 seasons! :lol:

Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking the malaysians at all - without them, some would say we might have gone into administration, and I can understand that they want to save money and reduce expenditure, but FOOTBALL is all about buying and selling players, and so far - we've spent sod all apart from buying Jon Parkin! (who may turn out to be quite a good buy by Jones but for use with Malky!)

I agree with what Malky is also doing and finding bargain buys/signings in the free transfer market! He's been a breath of fresh air to be fair, but there will come a time VERY soon where we will need to fork out rather large sums of money for a player! and I'm not so sure that the malaysians will be fully pleased about doing so? This is why I believe the Goodwillie transfer might not happen unless they organise a fee to be spread over a LONG period with a big sell on clause for Dundee Utd, and this is why they haven't offered any money for Bellamy.....

Maybe I'm thinking too loud - but some things still puzzle me?

Debate........ :ayatollah:

Re: The Malaysians and Transfer Fees?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:29 pm

i see your point but they are paying alot of money behind the scenes. but personally i wouldnt mind a couple of million spent :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:30 pm

500k for Dekel Keinan.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Only reason we only got frees so far is we need to get them signed up, players under contract arent likely to get snapped up in a hurry, be patient :)

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:32 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:i see your point but they are paying alot of money behind the scenes. but personally i wouldnt mind a couple of million spent :ayatollah:

The free tranfers they've brought could be good investment

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:33 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:Only reason we only got frees so far is we need to get them signed up, players under contract arent likely to get snapped up in a hurry, be patient :)

I was patient over the whole period Jones was building a team last season of Free's and Loanees, and look where that got us!

I'm also not saying go out there and Waste money just for the sake of it. We have to spend money to compete with the other teams, Quality comes at a price! ;)

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:35 pm

boxerbob wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:i see your point but they are paying alot of money behind the scenes. but personally i wouldnt mind a couple of million spent :ayatollah:

I don't want to be building a team to sell again! I'd rather spend money and increase our chances of promotion as the windfall once we go up is so rewarding, then we can build on-top of the foundations we've already made.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:38 pm

nerd wrote:500k for Dekel Keinan.

Thanks for pointing that one out Nerd, I believe it was an undisclosed fee to have been around £400,000 with possible bonus's due to Blackpool ontop of other things but dont quote me on that. I remember someone saying though recently that even those costs as well as Parkins were spread over a long period, and I don't think we've even paid a quarter of that fee yet either....

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Merlin wrote:
boxerbob wrote:

I don't want to be building a team to sell again! I'd rather spend money and increase our chances of promotion as the windfall once we go up is so rewarding, then we can build on-top of the foundations we've already made.

Fairpoint i agree with you merlin,maybe the malaysians dont like paying out large sums as its starting to make me think that way.If they're doing it to get the club out of more debt,i'm all for it tho :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 pm

We've large debts.

Pissing around over inflated fees is something Hammam did.

All the signings made by Mackay have me excited for the season.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:43 pm

i think we will see their true hand in the next month, dave jones loved his loan deals which im pretty sure they were mainly his own ideas

malky wants to buy players and build a team

lets hope the owners can back him :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:46 pm

nerd wrote:We've large debts.

Me too - dont get me wrong! I'm looking forward to the coming season! But if we have £2m - I'd like to think that they'd try and bring Bellmay back with it! Bellamy brings more than just football to our club.

Problem with football is its getting more expensive and more ridiculous each season, we can't do much about over inflated fees.
Thing is, if all these other clubs ie, Leicester are jumping on the bandwagon- we dont want to get left behind....

As mentioned too - I can see the job the malaysians have done so far is a good one, and they might have invested alot of money so far too, but NOBODY gives money away for nothing (not even TG and VT, they'll get alot back with the NEW SHARES? will they not?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:48 pm

What about all the money spent on getting rid of Dave Jones, Terry Burton etc. If they were actually on the wages that have been reported here, then we've spent a fair bit on that already. Then you've got to include the compensation paid to Watford for Malky and the other guys to took with him.

I just can't understand the logic in just spending for the sake of it. The quality of the players we've brought in on free transfers has been exceptionally high, and there's not really a lot of value in the market at the moment, is there?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Maybe Malky is building a team that will perform well, and put a big effort in up to January and re-evalute where we are and what we need, and see whats available in the Jan Transfer window. But is it worth risking the dribs and drabs left in January because all the quality might be gone - this window?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:50 pm

The biggest ongoing commitment is wages, not transfer fees. A 2 year contract for someone like Earnie would cost over. Million pounds at 10 grand a week. (I'm guessing his wages BTW)

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:50 pm

G3vans wrote:What about all the money spent on getting rid of Dave Jones, Terry Burton etc. If they were actually on the wages that have been reported here, then we've spent a fair bit on that already. Then you've got to include the compensation paid to Watford for Malky and the other guys to took with him.

I just can't understand the logic in just spending for the sake of it. The quality of the players we've brought in on free transfers has been exceptionally high, and there's not really a lot of value in the market at the moment, is there?

I understand that, re - my first post.

We heard there might be £20m avaialable for FEES and WAGES, also in the conference Gethin Jenkins STATED money will be available to MM as well, but when will we get to see it or need it?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 pm

But we have 56 days left of this window!!!!! Lets just wait and see, if we have spent £0 by 30th Aug then i would be thinking same

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:53 pm

bluebird58 wrote:The biggest ongoing commitment is wages, not transfer fees. A 2 year contract for someone like Earnie would cost over. Million pounds at 10 grand a week. (I'm guessing his wages BTW)

I actually think it's closer to £8k a week, but if it turns out all our targets who are on FREE transfers are taken by other clubs, then we will have to start spending to progress, or we risk mid-table, or relegations?

You see my point right ?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:54 pm

The biggest ongoing commitment is wages, not transfer fees. A 2 year contract for someone like Earnie would cost over. Million pounds at 10 grand a week. (I'm guessing his wages BTW)

Merlin wrote:
G3vans wrote:What about all the money spent on getting rid of Dave Jones, Terry Burton etc. If they were actually on the wages that have been reported here, then we've spent a fair bit on that already. Then you've got to include the compensation paid to Watford for Malky and the other guys to took with him.

I understand that, re - my first post.

We heard there might be £20m avaialable for FEES and WAGES, also in the conference Gethin Jenkins STATED money will be available to MM as well, but when will we get to see it or need it?

The transfer window is still open for a while merlin

CraigCCFC wrote:But we have 56 days left of this window!!!!! Lets just wait and see, if we have spent £0 by 30th Aug then i would be thinking same

They have been running the shop since the loss in "THE" play off final though remember, so 14 months here, and we have parkin and Keinan in at a cost of around £500,000 spread over 2 or 3 years.....

Will this start to hinder our progression eventually if the pattern continues :?:

I'd rather spend next to no money on some decent players (Cowie 3rd most assists, Earnie, Taylor played well last season, Conway very good winger up North) than more than we need - IMO we're seeing shrewd businessmen with not spending money unless they need to - I believe it also frees up more money for a possible Bellamy return/signing a more expensive player.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Dafydd wrote:I'd rather spend next to no money on some decent players (Cowie 3rd most assists, Earnie, Taylor played well last season, Conway very good winger up North) than more than we need - IMO we're seeing shrewd businessmen with not spending money unless they need to - I believe it also frees up more money for a possible Bellamy return/signing a more expensive player.

I did state in my first post - that I think MM is doing a great job so far with resources available..... etc etc.
and Bellamy is a whole new can of worms tbh, a new discussion maybe, (or not as there is about 20 already! :lol: )
Can't see Bellamy turning down the £4m wages he's still owed, and I cant see him going onloan anywhere either - as Man City don't want to pick up any costs on him! So its a bit catch 22 at the moment with Bellers....

We will need to spend soon - trust me!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:58 pm

nerd wrote:We've large debts.

Your'e excited? Never thought I'd see you post anything positive let alone feel it!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:59 pm

Merlin wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:But we have 56 days left of this window!!!!! Lets just wait and see, if we have spent £0 by 30th Aug then i would be thinking same

They have been running the shop since the loss in "THE" play off final though remember, so 14 months here, and we have parkin and Keinan in at a cost of around £500,000 spread over 2 or 3 years.....

Will this start to hinder our progression eventually if the pattern continues :?:

Im convinced they were never totally behind DJ, but the money they have shelled out getting MM and his team as well as getting rid of DJ and his im sure they r behind MM

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Cant say i've seen to much of any of our signings so far (earnie excluded).Although from what i have read and the little i have seen on youtube It seems they all have plenty to offer and seems on these occoasions we have been the benefactors off the bosman ruling whereas it has cost us with ledley, jay and burke. How much would conway, taylor and cowie have cost with say 2 years on thier contract. I'm sure they are good enough to command fees!! it seems we are being prudent this year in the transfer market, but on these occasions i feel cheap doesn't mean poor quality. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Merlin wrote:
Dafydd wrote:I'd rather spend next to no money on some decent players (Cowie 3rd most assists, Earnie, Taylor played well last season, Conway very good winger up North) than more than we need - IMO we're seeing shrewd businessmen with not spending money unless they need to - I believe it also frees up more money for a possible Bellamy return/signing a more expensive player.

I did state in my first post - that I think MM is doing a great job so far with resources available..... etc etc.
and Bellamy is a whole new can of worms tbh, a new discussion maybe, (or not as there is about 20 already! :lol: )
Can't see Bellamy turning down the £4m wages he's still owed, and I cant see him going onloan anywhere either - as Man City don't want to pick up any costs on him! So its a bit catch 22 at the moment with Bellers....

We will need to spend soon - trust me!

:lol: I know, and I'm looking forward to seeing some (hopefully) brilliant players boosting us to the Premier League.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:06 pm

OK - got to pop out now, my daughters birthday today - so carry on debating without me for a while! enjoy the thread! :ayatollah: :lol:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:11 pm

As far as I know we still have that problem with Ray Ranson having a mortgage over our playing staff. Now if I was businessman like Vincent Tan would I really want to spend £3m on a player knowing that someone else has first call on his transfer value?

I have always believed that's why last year's strategy was to loan players rather than buy them.

This season it's to scour the Bosman market for quality. If these players shine and are sold on, the Ranson debt is cleared without spending a penny apart from wages.

We might not like it but you can't help admiring the shrewdness.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:41 pm

If we were to sell the four players we have signed this summer next week I reckon we would get something like £3.5 million for them and yet we didn't pay a penny for them in transfer fees. We could have waited for all four of them to sign new contracts for their old teams or go to other clubs I suppose and then paid all of that money for them ourselves - I daresay TG and VT would be getting praised then by some for "splashing the cash", but I think I prefer the way we've gone about our business.