Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

TOM CLEVERLY to Cardiff??

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:40 pm

CARDIFF CITY boss Malky MacKay has enquired about the availability of Manchester United starlet Tom Cleverly.

MacKay worked with Cleverly, 21, at his former club Watford and has placed the England under-21 midfielder at the top of his transfer list. Cardiff though face competition from a number of Premier League sides including Wigan where Cleverly spent a short spell on loan towards the end of last season.

MacKay has been given significant funds by the Bluebirds' Malaysian owners as the Scot looks to rebuild a squad capable of challenging for automatic promotion.

Interesting if true, Cleveley was class for Watford and scored many vital goals. Plus he may also be interested in working with Malcky again as most of his former players do. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: TOM CLEVERLY to Cardiff??

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:43 pm

yes please :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:46 pm

marcpccfc wrote:CARDIFF CITY boss Malky MacKay has enquired about the availability of Manchester United starlet Tom Cleverly.

MacKay worked with Cleverly, 21, at his former club Watford and has placed the England under-21 midfielder at the top of his transfer list. Cardiff though face competition from a number of Premier League sides including Wigan where Cleverly spent a short spell on loan towards the end of last season.

MacKay has been given significant funds by the Bluebirds' Malaysian owners as the Scot looks to rebuild a squad capable of challenging for automatic promotion.

Interesting if true, Cleveley was class for Watford and scored many vital goals. Plus he may also be interested in working with Malcky again as most of his former players do. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Where's this story come from mate? :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Where has this story come from??? :o

The guy is an exceptional midfield player and would give us quality throught the middle of the park :)

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:54 pm

marcpccfc wrote:CARDIFF CITY boss Malky MacKay has enquired about the availability of Manchester United starlet Tom Cleverly.

Well Wigan certainly seem keen to have him back!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... -back.html

And according to Wikipedia (Yes I know that anybody can change it), he played 25 games for them last season, which is hardly a short spell on loan! :ayatollah:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Cleverley

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:57 pm

now that would be a signing! him and cowie in midfield would be an awswome pair :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:05 am

Cleverly is the sort of player i was talking about when i posted about getting 1 or 2 young Under 23 year olds from premier league teams on loan.

There was talk on this forum that we would not go down the loan road this season,as a result of what happened last season.
I said at the time players like Cleverly,Landsbury,Drinkwater to name just 3 are players we need to add to our squad :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:10 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:Cleverly is the sort of player i was talking about when i posted about getting 1 or 2 young Under 23 year olds from premier league teams on loan.

There was talk on this forum that we would not go down the loan road this season,as a result of what happened last season.
I said at the time players like Cleverly,Landsbury,Drinkwater to name just 3 are players we need to add to our squad :ayatollah:

id take all 3 of them, given a chance i think drinkwater could be quality if he stays fit and injury free

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:12 am

would not say no :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:25 am

This would be a superb signing even if it was just a loan

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:33 am

Be a fantastic signing.........add that to cowie, mcphail, possibly gunnarsson then the centre mid places are looking very strong. Would be happy any 2 of them 4 starting in midfield this season :D :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Would be an awesome signing but not going to happen, he'll either stay at utd or go to another prem team!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm sure Fergie will want him on loan in the Prem.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:28 pm

you got to try if you dont ask you dont get. id ask for him and ramsey and maybe vela :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Mikef wrote:Would be an awesome signing but not going to happen, he'll either stay at utd or go to another prem team!

Not sure because of his age whether he would count in the 25 man squad United have to pick from, if he has to be included Fergie may be forced to put him out on loan

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Guys, he played extremely well in the Premiership this season, surely there's no way he'd be loaned back to the Championship, it would just be a big step in the wrong direction for him.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 pm

unfortunetly we would lose out in this particular battle because its in his best interests to stay in the prem and go back on loan to wigan
stranger things have happened though :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Would be a cracking signing but I can't see him dropping down to the Championship.