Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

jon THE BEAST parkin

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:24 am

excuse the pun but heard hes bouncing in training and really working hard. does malky see him as a just a squad player or if parkin is fit and raring to go will he be in the starting 11 ??
i think the gut deserves to be given a chance of starting a few games ok hes not bothroyd but hes not a big time charlie either and has more fight which i think is what this new squad will be all about :ayatollah:

Re: jon THE BEAST parkin

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 am

If he loses a stone or two and works on his fitness he will be a very good option. Cant see mackay relying on him though, he will more than likely sign another tall strong player for him to compete with

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:31 am

GOOD SQUAD PLAYER , BUT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE LOOKING AT PLAY OFF SPOT WITH HIM. WE NEED QUALITY AND WE NEED IT FAST. I KNOW THERE ARE 4 WEEKS TO GO BUT OTHER CLUBS ARE SIGNING GOOD PLAYERS . HOPE WE SEE SIGNS SOON OF NEW PLAYERS. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:33 am

Could, potentially, score 20 goals this season.

tommo blue wrote:GOOD SQUAD PLAYER , BUT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE LOOKING AT PLAY OFF SPOT WITH HIM. WE NEED QUALITY AND WE NEED IT FAST. I KNOW THERE ARE 4 WEEKS TO GO BUT OTHER CLUBS ARE SIGNING GOOD PLAYERS . HOPE WE SEE SIGNS SOON OF NEW PLAYERS. :ayatollah:

We are signing good players, look at our first 3 signings they are class acts. I think parkin may shine this season so id have to disagree with that but we do need another player like him.

jinks-rct wrote:i think the gut

Was this a typo or a new nickname for him? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:34 am

tommo blue wrote:GOOD SQUAD PLAYER , BUT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE LOOKING AT PLAY OFF SPOT WITH HIM. WE NEED QUALITY AND WE NEED IT FAST. I KNOW THERE ARE 4 WEEKS TO GO BUT OTHER CLUBS ARE SIGNING GOOD PLAYERS . HOPE WE SEE SIGNS SOON OF NEW PLAYERS. :ayatollah:

Could you turn your caps off please

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:51 am

Parkin is a bit of a 'new boy' in a way

f**k knows why Jones bought him, cos he never gave him
half a chance, but that is typical Jones. If Beastie boy has
really been working his bollocks off then I think he'll get the
chance to prove himself

We have a lot of players at the Club with a lot to prove
now Jones has gone

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:01 am

Nottage Blue wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:i think the gut

Was this a typo or a new nickname for him? :lol: :lol: :lol:

typo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good spotting :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:05 am

taffyapple wrote:Parkin is a bit of a 'new boy' in a way

chance to prove himself

now Jones has gone

i agree i believe parkin deserves to start the first 5 to 10 games he came here and was not given the chance and hes never caused the club any trouble and he looks more commited than some of the ones that have left.
if he can get a few goals early on to build his confidence he could get 15 or 20 goals in a season :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:22 am

Feed the beast and he will score :D :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:32 am

I think there's no reason why Jon Parkin can't prove to be a good target man and form an effective partnership with Goodwillie, Earnshaw, Bellamy or whoever else Mackay can bring in up front this season, similar to the one Earnie and Peter Thorne had, in a big man little man partnership.

Last season when Jones was giving him 10 mins off the bench it was pointless and in his only start on his debut away at Norwich partnering Chopra he scored, so on that basis I think he deserves a couple of starts to show what he can do. Hopefully he'll get himself a bit fitter this pre-season and prove a good signing, I've got every faith in him. I do think we could do with getting a back up for him though as we all know in the Championship it's a long season, sometimes 4 strikers in your first team squad aint enough as we found out last season by getting in Andy Keogh and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas on loan along the way to help us out when we had injuries etc. Before anyone mentions I know neither set the world alight but the point I'm making is we're short on numbers so I hope Mackay invests in the right areas to strenghten the squad. So far so good from him though in the transfer market. Anyone fancy Ross McCormack back?
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:10 pm

jinks-rct wrote:
taffyapple wrote:Parkin is a bit of a 'new boy' in a way

chance to prove himself

now Jones has gone

i agree i believe parkin deserves to start the first 5 to 10 games he came here and was not given the chance and hes never caused the club any trouble and he looks more commited than some of the ones that have left.
if he can get a few goals early on to build his confidence he could get 15 or 20 goals in a season :ayatollah:

Whether he was given a chance or not will have no bearing on the matter!

He will only DESERVE a shot if Mackay thinks he's good enough

Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:37 pm

And if he's been working hard in training, he WILL get that chance. I feel a bit sorry for the bloke. He was really bought as a replacement for Jay but Jay never went when Jones thought he would so this is where he's been unlucky

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:27 pm

tom270790 wrote:If he loses a stone or two and works on his fitness he will be a very good option. Cant see mackay relying on him though, he will more than likely sign another tall strong player for him to compete with

He's apparently about 13st 10lb, not really grossly overweight for 6'4". About 8 years ago when I was 50yrs old I worked out 6 days a week and about 2 -3 hours at a time ( you wouldn't think it to see me now), I'm 5'10" and weighed 14st 4 lb and I didn't have an ounce of fat on me, 30" waist, 40" chest, so like I said the Beast is not overweight for his height and to lose a couple of stone would make him the matchstick man lol :lol: and he'd lose some strength and power as well he'd be called "the wimp" then not "the beast". :lol:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:51 pm

In MM we trust ! :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:04 pm

He has got to start against West Ham. I think we could cause them all sorts of problems with Conway crossing the ball into the big man. Rob Green flaps like mad at crosses and with Margetson now coaching him, he is going to get worst :lol:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:10 pm

i like him, i reckon with a few starts he will do well!!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:38 pm

ackers1927 wrote:He has got to start against West Ham. I think we could cause them all sorts of problems with Conway crossing the ball into the big man. Rob Green flaps like mad at crosses and with Margetson now coaching him, he is going to get worst :lol:

I think Robert Green got released at the end of last season under the terms of his contract. Not sure who there no.2 keeper was last season, the name Boffin rings a bell not 100% sure though.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:30 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:
tom270790 wrote:If he loses a stone or two and works on his fitness he will be a very good option. Cant see mackay relying on him though, he will more than likely sign another tall strong player for him to compete with

He's apparently about 13st 10lb, not really grossly overweight for 6'4". About 8 years ago when I was 50yrs old I worked out 6 days a week and about 2 -3 hours at a time ( you wouldn't think it to see me now), I'm 5'10" and weighed 14st 4 lb and I didn't have an ounce of fat on me, 30" waist, 40" chest, so like I said the Beast is not overweight for his height and to lose a couple of stone would make him the matchstick man lol :lol: and he'd lose some strength and power as well he'd be called "the wimp" then not "the beast". :lol:

Totally agree with this post. All this talk of him being overweight is superficial. There is nothing on him other than what's needed to keep his burly frame together and cause he's big people call him overweight. And he works harder by carrying a tub of vicks on his top each game!

PS Working out 6 times a week when you were 50 were you a senior pro or something? Very impressive!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Personally, I think Parkin is one of those players that needs to play regularly for us to see the best of him. When we played home to Preston last season, Parkin led the line superbly and his touch and holding up the ball were as good as any lone striker leading the line that i've seen at the CCS.

Of course, when he was on the bench for us and only had cameo roles, his touch was off. I think this came down to lack of game time which effected his fitness more than other players because of his size. Also, there was no chance of him being able to keep match fit when he was sat on the bench as we had no reserve team!

I would be quite happy to see him starting for us this season, give him a run of games to show what he can really do. If he puts in performances like his display for Preston away to us last season, he will be more than good enough for us.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:46 pm

He scored a few for a struggling preston side until Jones bought him and never played him.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:59 pm

If you see Parkin up close in person, he doesn't look fat at all. I think his weight issues were overplayed

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Earnie and Parkin up front next season? Could be the big man/little man partnership that Earnie works so well playing with a strike partner of this stature, and would replicate his succesful partnership he had with Peter Thorne during his 1st spell with us. :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :D

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 pm

RichBluebird wrote:Earnie and Parkin up front next season? Could be the big man/little man partnership that Earnie works so well playing with a strike partner of this stature, and would replicate his succesful partnership he had with Peter Thorne during his 1st spell with us. :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :D

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: