Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

why 3 year contracts?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:17 am

i've often wondered with city, why they seem to have a policy to sign players on 3 year contracts. You basically see all premiership clubs offer 4 year contracts to their signings. (not to sure if other championship clubs follow suit).

But in my opinion surely these 3yr contracts are setting us up for a fall. Like making it much more easier for players to leave on a free sooner rather than later -(obviously). We saw it with Bothroyd, and Ledley before him.

It seems like the duration of these contracts give the players agents the ability to hold a club to ransom after only the second season! :evil:

Why is this?

Re: why 3 year contracts?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:34 am

the last regimes under Hammam and the Ridler have very much been focused on short term achievments, i find it hard to believe they planned much further than 3 years, but generally there is a fine line between a player being a success at the club and the contract isent long enough or you get a lee naylor imagine him on a 4 year contract claiming wages.

maybe premiership clubs can afford to take the extra risks of 4 year contracts.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:53 am

yeah i thought that. maybe our club isn't in a position to commit to a longer contract. its a shame that cardiff for the last 3-4 seasons has revolved around immediate achievement. DJ never had the ability to put together a squad that has both quality and depth to it. (even with the financial backing last season). our squad looked like a patch-work quilt as some possitions seemed really deprived.

we've seen it hasnt worked so i hope the malaysians have the patience to give MM the time he needs to get a squad competing for promotion. I hope fans dont get to over excited and expect it in the first year. personally ill be happy with a mid table finish first season, as long as its evident that the side is coming together.

If a mid-table finish happened i could imagine some fickle fans booing the side again. which happened way to often last season and is discusting IMO! :evil: (and im not just talking bout last seasons home games to ipswich, middlesborough, and reading play off) we need to sort that out.

but yeah, a 4 year contract for naylor would not be good :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:33 am

Didnt MM sign a 3 year contract ? maybe he's got a back up plan ! :lol: