Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How good is our scouting system ?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Not up to speed on this issue of our scouts, but who are they and how good are they ?
Also how far afield do we scout ? Apart from the obvious ( Scotland) .
Or is it done more through what the manager wants ?
Any feedback would be interesting cheers :ayatollah:

Re: How good is our scouting system ?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:21 pm

bet it will get better now mm in charge :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:54 pm

I was recently asking someone this question myself and the reply i got left me amazed!! I was told that we have one scout up in scotland, i think his name was roger hughes, this is terry burtons mate from wimbledon (and he MAY have one or two people working under him!!) I asked what about players in england or abroad and i was told dj relied on his contacts! i asked who his contacts were and was told "agents"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i couldn't believe it! perhaps i'm a bit naive and maybe a lot of clubs rely on a similar system, but when i read tlg's post about the watford scouting set up i couldnt believe how amateur ours was. I hope malky identifies this as an urgent need cos to me this has got to be a priority :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Shocking if true !

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:52 pm

thehumblegringo wrote:I was recently asking someone this question myself and the reply i got left me amazed!! I was told that we have one scout up in scotland, i think his name was roger hughes, this is terry burtons mate from wimbledon (and he MAY have one or two people working under him!!) I asked what about players in england or abroad and i was told dj relied on his contacts! i asked who his contacts were and was told "agents"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i couldn't believe it! perhaps i'm a bit naive and maybe a lot of clubs rely on a similar system, but when i read tlg's post about the watford scouting set up i couldnt believe how amateur ours was. I hope malky identifies this as an urgent need cos to me this has got to be a priority :ayatollah:

This is why i was asking the question because its not mentioned a lot or if at all and would be very disapointed if this was true. All the talent out there and we have 1 possible scout. Dave Jones relying on agents bloody hell. I think this needs to be looked at in depth because a good scouting team can bring in some real gems cheers for the info :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that 1 of our scouts joined Chelsea last week

Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:41 am

Should scout other countries like:
Brazil/Argentina (I know south america, but being more specific) ,Holland,Italy,Spain... look at their national teams it should be common sense ! Great footballing countries.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Glad to see the club have taken an interest in my post and gone out and left another Gap in watford :lol: