Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " A NEW COACH NEEDED "

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:54 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Surely a good goalkeeping coach could sort out Marshall. Brilliant shot stopper, but flaps at crosses, and does not seem to communicate with his defenders. Heaton is the better of the two IMO.

Seriously, bring back George Wood. ' He's got no hair, but we don't care, Georgie, Georgie Wood !' If he's in Scotland, then we should have no problem tracking him down. :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:24 pm

carlccfc wrote:I believe we need a goalkeeper coach as Martyn Margetson, as goalkeeper coach, must take responsibility for the goalkeeping problems and decisions made by the keepers over the last 5-6 years.

Maybe we should go and get Alec Chamberlain.

Opinions.

I have to admit that although I only get to see the games on TV these days I can't remember the last time we had a keeper who could properly deal with crosses and command his area / defence. Even Alexander who I thought was a great keeper didn't look the best at this side of things. I always put it down to us choosing the wrong keepers but in hindsight the coach would obviously have a big influence on this.

Every time I watch a game it gives me heart palpitations when we are getting bombarded with crosses into the box or concede a few corners. I'm sure other teams would pick up that it is a weakness too.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:20 am

llangainbluebird wrote:Surely a good goalkeeping coach could sort out Marshall. Brilliant shot stopper, but flaps at crosses, and does not seem to communicate with his defenders. Heaton is the better of the two IMO.

Seriously, bring back George Wood. ' He's got no hair, but we don't care, Georgie, Georgie Wood !' If he's in Scotland, then we should have no problem tracking him down. :ayatollah:

My mate Pete is Billy Davies' Goalkeeping coach, where Billy goes, so does
Pete. He's very highly rated..... But never made it as a goalkeeper himself
apart from a few appearances for Preston many moons ago. So you dont
need to be a great keeper to be a great coach!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:15 am

Get woody back, he was treated very unfairly under sams control...hes just left swindon

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Wood is history - best left where he is.

City need a top keeper - whether Marshall or Heaton is good enouigh is open to debate but a new g-k coach who can actually do a job would help.

Margetson didn't improve any of the dross keepers down the City when he was there.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:19 pm

I have nothing personal against Margotson but I'm delighted he is leaving. Like so many others on this thread I have for a long time worried over the standard of our keepers once they arrive here.

Indeed far from improving they seem to go backwards at an alarming rate and the injury record of our keepers is frankly unbelievable.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Best to luck a felt a change is needed though ! :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:40 pm

surely robert green cant get any worse. :D

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Marshal is still young enough if a good keeper coach help him I think Marshal is better than heaton and had a great future all he needs is confidence to come off his line and the right to command his area.

Remember him having a go at Gerrard they were having a right go at Forest but they sorted it out but it showed that Marshal wanted to command his area but the defence didnt listen.

That Penalty area should be Marshals I still think a good keeper coach will improve that I agree with most on here no keeper did improve and many got worse under Jones and Margetson

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 am

Bugger thought this was about chapmans getting rid of the SKYLARK :lol:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:10 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Looked at the headline and though was it because someone threw up in the bogs :o :lol: :lol: