Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: I must admit that what we are doing to Watford

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:56 pm

standard football, most managers take backroom staff.
If we didnt sign Cowie someone else would have, he is a free agent, if we didnt sign him MM wouldnt be doing his job IMO.

IF DJ took over WHU he would have tooked at taking our best players as well and we would have had to accept it.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:06 am

Shit happens.

Coaching staff was always going to happen wether it was 1, 2 or 3 of them.

Cowie is out of contract - who is to blame for that?

All I care about is the manager doing the right thing by CCFC. :ayatollah: :D

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:07 am

Yea, I mean if not manager, then owners whatever should step up and write a new contract. they knew Malky was leaving

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:12 am

What did Graham Taylor say? "We had an option as long as we survived the Championship" wtf? you can always renegotiate with players what would stop you?

I'm no 100% "happy" about it and I can see a Watford fans' gripe. But after years of saying bye bye to Chopra (fisrt time), Ramsey, RJ, Gabbidon, with Jay, Matthews, Ledley and Burke all going on frees, you'll find I don't have too much sympathy that we took a player who our manager used to manage.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:36 am

I feel sympathy for them but I dont think its wrong !

Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:07 am

RFMH wrote:What did Graham Taylor say? "We had an option as long as we survived the Championship" wtf? you can always renegotiate with players what would stop you?

I'm no 100% "happy" about it and I can see a Watford fans' gripe. But after years of saying bye bye to Chopra (fisrt time), Ramsey, RJ, Gabbidon, with Jay, Matthews, Ledley and Burke all going on frees, you'll find I don't have too much sympathy that we took a player who our manager used to manage.

^^^^^^
THIS

I feel for Watford but the same has been done to us.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:26 am

Well to us it appears that the last month Mackay was taking his pay cheque from Watford, he very clearly wasn't working for our club. The shock over Cowie is understandable, there was never an indication that he might leave & the only reason he has is because of Mackay's insider knowledge & pretty underhand tactics. The speed with which this went through leads me to believe it was discussed while Mackay was still manager at Watford. It also begs the question of how many other players he's spoken to. The club can refuse to sell, but where's the point of keeping a player who has had his head turned and wants to leave? Oh, by the way Marvin Sordell announced on Twitter that he has no intention of going to Cardiff (so he'll be signing next week......)

It's nice to note that a few of the Cardiff fans aren't entirely happy with it, I would be mortified if my club did this to another. Oh well, nothing us poor mortals can do about it. As usual the people with the least voice are the ones who suffer the most.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:50 am

crazy scenario. but thats the way it is in the current climate! not impressed to be honest! underhand definately not!
believe it or not watford are my second team. why let don let his contract run so low. GOT TO BE A RUSSIAN ROULETTE, situation. and the hornets took the bullet!! shit happens . obviously believes in the way malky wants to play!! :?:

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:05 am

Obviously as fans we're never going to know what really went on, but it does make us look at the situation. Yes, the contract of Cowie should've been sorted. The person responsible for that was our CEO. The same CEO who walked out on the club the day after selling Graham & Buckley (which leads my poor mind to start wondering about his motives).

The situation at Watford was difficult enough as it was without Mackay adding to the problems. A lot of the fans are beginning to feel this is one mess we won't get ourselves out of.

As one Watford fan put it: having been dumped, WFC would like to take a year out and go travelling around the world, drinking till destruction and screwing anything that moves.......

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:42 am

Midfield general wrote:does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I know its football but if the roles were reversed I would be very angry

I got zero sympathy for them, its their own fault for having players in the 80's with stupid names...eg Wilf Rostron, f**k em.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:02 am

Can't see no problem,most managers take staff with them and cowie was out of contract,they should have extended contract,we ve just lost burke and bothroyd the same way.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:03 am

Midfield general wrote:
Damned Yank wrote:
RFMH wrote:What did Graham Taylor say? "We had an option as long as we survived the Championship" wtf? you can always renegotiate with players what would stop you?

^^^^^^
THIS

I feel for Watford but the same has been done to us.

Hang on, when those listed players left us none went to previous managers and we got big money (some say we should have had more) for Chopra, Ramsey, RJ and Gabbidon. None of them went to a club which their former manager join just weeks earlier. So to be honest I really cant see how you can compare the two situations.

'Appranetly' MM publicly stated his unhappiness when Brenda Rogders come back for players when he left them to manager Reading. So if that is true then surely its double standards.

Yes I know its all part of the game these days but it doesn't mean that its right.

Ju know what. Someone could hand you the worlds largest diamond and say "its yours"..

...And you'd say "hmmmmm, quite sharp, i could cut myself quite badly on this!" :lol: :lol:

Mate. As a football fan, i feel gutted for Watford supporters. But deep down they know
its not Malky thats the bad guy here, they know its not Kerslake, Collinge, McBride, Cowie,
or Cardiff City.

Deep down the Watford supporters know that Cardiff City have not put a gun to anyones
head here, these people have come to Cardiff Cos they are ambitious and our club has
convinced them that WE are ambitious too

They have a board that is not prepared to put a f*cking penny in, owners that wont spend a
penny. People with no ambition. People that dont really care a f**k about Watford FC.

If Watford fans genuinely want to point a finger, it needs to be far closer to home

Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:39 am

No disrespect to Watford Fans.

But I dont realy care, and it doesnt leave a bad taste in my mouth.

We appointed a manager who brought his backroom staff with him (happens all the time)

And we signed an out of contract player from the same club.

Cant see the fuss to be honest.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:00 am

taffyapple wrote:
They have a board that is not prepared to put a f*cking penny in, owners that wont spend a
penny. People with no ambition. People that dont really care a f**k about Watford FC.

If Watford fans genuinely want to point a finger, it needs to be far closer to home

You say that like we hadn't noticed! For several years we've watched a succession of greedy b'stards try and get money out of the club. We've seen board room squabbles that led to 1 prospective owner call in a loan which would have meant we'd go into administration, which in turn would've led to points deduction & relegation. We've now been sold to some dodgy geezer whose only notable achievement appears to be bankruptcy. He has no interest in football either. So don't think fingers ain't pointing in that direction. To have all that, AND to have a manager use rather sneaky tactics to rip the club even further apart? Can you blame us for feeling like everyone is crapping on us from a great height?

Believe me, right now the only person that isn't being accused of wrongdoing is Sean Dyche.

Maybe we can employ Placido Domingo to sort the whole mess out. If it's good enough for FIFA......

As for the out-of-contract player, he wouldn't have been out-of-contract if Mackay had done the job he was being paid to do.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:07 am

anotherhornet wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

You say that like we hadn't noticed! For several years we've watched a succession of greedy b'stards try and get money out of the club. We've seen board room squabbles that led to 1 prospective owner call in a loan which would have meant we'd go into administration, which in turn would've led to points deduction & relegation. We've now been sold to some dodgy geezer whose only notable achievement appears to be bankruptcy. He has no interest in football either. So don't think fingers ain't pointing in that direction. To have all that, AND to have a manager use rather sneaky tactics to rip the club even further apart? Can you blame us for feeling like everyone is crapping on us from a great height?

Believe me, right now the only person that isn't being accused of wrongdoing is Sean Dyche.

Maybe we can employ Placido Domingo to sort the whole mess out. If it's good enough for FIFA......

As for the out-of-contract player, he wouldn't have been out-of-contract if Mackay had done the job he was being paid to do.

Do you honestly believe it was Malkys job to sort out player contracts at your club ?

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:24 am

I would say it was the job of the CEO, but he walked out on us as well. I doubt Mackay didn't have an input though. His job might not be to get the contract signed, but I'd assume it's his job to talk things through with the player & representatives. And we all know how that went.

Nothing we can do, it's just soul destroying to watch the club be dismantled by people that couldn't give a flying fark (owners, board members, ex-managers). The future of the club looks incredibly bleak at the moment.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:33 am

Celtic are fleecing us too! Took Ledley (our youth product) for f**k all! Took Matthews (same) for a nominal fee, trying to actively convince Bellamy to go back there! Have spoken to Jay Bothroyd about moving there! (probably enquired about Chopra! :lol: )

At the end of the day, Watford allowed a players contract to expire, a mistake that Cardiff are very much guilty of in the past on more that one occasion!! Taylor was on loan at Watford - but BELONGS (or did until his contract expired) to Boro, not our fault he want's to work with Mackay! and usually when a manager moves clubs, they will take their preferred staff with them, isn't that the norm? Cowie's contract expired regardless of what talks went on with who - if it was dealt with properly at a more earlier stage it wouldn't have come down to this?

I actually think its a shame we couldn't get Buckley as well! but never mind hey..... Plenty more quality FREE transfers out there! :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:42 am

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:No disrespect to Watford Fans.

But I dont realy care, and it doesnt leave a bad taste in my mouth.

We appointed a manager who brought his backroom staff with him (happens all the time)

And we signed an out of contract player from the same club.

Cant see the fuss to be honest.

totally agree, i dont give a flying f**k about anyone else only cardiff city, i bet they didnet have any feelings for us when they walloping us at their place,i know its a different scenario but as i said i dont give a flying f**k :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:46 am

I could'nt give a toss about watford FC or their fans if they go down thats their problem , all i want is the best players we can afford at Cardiff if that means watford players TUFF !!! when we are 1 win away from the promised land and Don Cowie pops up with the winner nobody will give a F**K what happens to watford and that is a FACT :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:59 am

Cowie out of contract. Taylor out of contract we have not stolen them they were free for anyone. We paid compo for MM and backroom staff they agreed to come here. If they had stayed at Watford new manager might want to change things anyhow which is unlikley as promoted within but still not stolen anyone and they chose to come here.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:59 am

CELTIC HAVE DONE IT TO US. rant over :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:06 am

anotherhornet wrote:Well to us it appears that the last month Mackay was taking his pay cheque from Watford, he very clearly wasn't working for our club.

Fact?

The shock over Cowie is understandable, there was never an indication that he might leave & the only reason he has is because of Mackay's insider knowledge & pretty underhand tactics.

So the fact no contract had been signed by Cowie for you means you wander blissfully around in la la land believing he'll automatically be back? Seriously? Especially if he's as good as claimed?

The speed with which this went through leads me to believe it was discussed while Mackay was still manager at Watford.

Better be careful, there. You're making a libellous accusation against Cardiff City.

It also begs the question of how many other players he's spoken to. The club can refuse to sell, but where's the point of keeping a player who has had his head turned and wants to leave? Oh, by the way Marvin Sordell announced on Twitter that he has no intention of going to Cardiff (so he'll be signing next week......)

More comments based upon assumptions. Given the league positions last season, I'd wager that there aren't too many of your players we'd actually be interested in.

It's nice to note that a few of the Cardiff fans aren't entirely happy with it, I would be mortified if my club did this to another. Oh well, nothing us poor mortals can do about it. As usual the people with the least voice are the ones who suffer the most.

Good grief...

Mackay joined us, Watford gaining compensation.

He wanted staff from you he was comfortable with. You lot agreed with that, getting compensation.

Cowie was available on a free. Clearly he wasn't going to go back to you - and if he's as good as is claimed, why would he want to? If he knows Mackay well, respects Mackay, then chances are the deal was concluded incredibly quickly. Nothing sinister unless you're incredibly bitter.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:18 am

Midfield general wrote:
Hang on, when those listed players left us none went to previous managers and we got big money (some say we should have had more) for Chopra, Ramsey, RJ and Gabbidon. None of them went to a club which their former manager join just weeks earlier. So to be honest I really cant see how you can compare the two situations.

And your point is? I turned up paid my money and watched them leave, where they go is frankly an irrelevance. Like I said, our manager took his backroom staff and a player OUT OF CONTRACT. I get the gripe, but it's hardly like we out and out stole them.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:42 am

good old Midfield General :D

Why be happy when we can find summat to moan about.

Listen, its a shame for Watford, but Mackays job now is to get
This club into the Premiership.

To do that he needs people he knows he can trust to do a job

So Watford was always going to be the first place he looked.
Its common practice for a new manager!

Its a shame for Watford but were the boot on the other foot
They would not be shedding any tears for Cardiff City

The end