Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHY DO OUR FANS HATE OUR GK?

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:45 pm

am i the only one that thinks we got 2 very good keepers? ok marshall could be better with crosses. but heaton has a very good understanding with defence. good with crosses and is a decent shot stopper.

dont spend money where money does not need to be spent

Re: WHY DO OUR FANS HATE OUR GK?

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 pm

I dunno, I think they are very good keepers and I'm happy with them :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Agree, dont need a new keeper at the minute. Midfield and strikers should be our main priority. However if we got promoted i think we'd need a new keeper.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:49 pm

I thought Bywater put Heaton + Marshall to shame :oops: In all seriousness, i think Heaton + Marshall both fit are above average for the championship :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:49 pm

im glad some people agree. if we got to prem i would like heaton to be given a chance. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:50 pm

ROB CCFC wrote:am i the only one that thinks we got 2 very good keepers? ok marshall could be better with crosses. but heaton has a very good understanding with defence. good with crosses and is a decent shot stopper.

dont spend money where money does not need to be spent

I think the majority of us fans are happy witht he keepers mate, only 1 or 2 who post otherwhys against 24,000!

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:52 pm

I think the MAJORITY are happy with both keepers....

The problem last season was injuries and the idiot (and former City reject) from Derby County....

They did us there, alright!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:54 pm

maybe i did over react then :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:09 pm

To be honest, we really did miss Tom Heaton and Marshall towards the end of the season, Heaton wasnt really fit for the last remaining games, and we had to rely on the stupid loan system again.

Marshall for me will be number 1 keeper in my books, but he is prone to those set play and corner mistakes. At present I'm very happy with the goalkeepers, and with the introduction of the reserve team it would give Santiago some game time as well.

It is very unusual to have two good goalkeepers in a championship team, usually have a good one and then a poor one. For us, we are lucky to have very decent goalkeepers.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Don't think anyone hates our Goalkeepers but realise that they are average by this divisions standards. Average goalkeepers will not get you promoted :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:02 pm

two good keepers,

heaton is proberly the better all around with crosses kicking ect, and i am most comfortable with him in goals

however marshall is a cracking shot stopper his 1on1 ratio is really high, better at penalities aswell remember that save against swansea with his foot from a header class. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:15 pm

Nothing wrong with Heaton and Marshall for this level..

:ayatollah:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:17 pm

I think Heaton is ok, Marshall is awful on corners but all in all they are fine for the championship. Personally i think our defence if fine now Gerrard is back and Taylor is in, we just need to sort out midfield and forwards!

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:58 pm

They are both average at best. Nowhere near best in Championsip.

Liabilities
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 pm

Very happy with both, i would leave the GK as they are.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:28 pm

I love OUR keepers but can't even mention the thing we had on loan from Derby....never want to see him again

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 pm

there ok, but theres better out there. camp from forest was my championship goalie :roll:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Let's say we signe camp though, that would mean we have 3 high waning goalkeepers on the wagebill, I that wise?
Could sell one but the wages we offer I don't think that's as easy as ppl think.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Midfield general wrote:People wont forgive Marshall for the Play off Final and he's awful at crosses. I also think Heaton needs to explain excatly what went on last year. When it was stated that he was a bag of nerves by him not saying anything says that he may have been guilty and to be honest if we are challanging we cant afford to have a player like that.

wasnt it also down to Marshall we got to the play/off final.

Im still sceptical about these Heaton nervs tbh, i doubt he has ever been asked about it so doubt he would comment about MB talk, if every player did then they would be wasting a lot of time.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:01 am

it was only a mild rumour at best. IMO the less players say the best. If he replied to that and not other comments they would say well he replied to that one etc etc.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:09 am

You're joking arn't you .We need to strengthen.We had better keepers in the old 3rd / 4th division.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:23 am

I rate Marshall, cant comment on Heaton, only seen him play once...

would like to have Schmeichel back, really liked the guy...

of course, my "dream" keeper would be Shay Given, but doubt that we have the cash for him...

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:59 am

The reason we have not got promotion yet is goalkeeping.in my humble opinion.
We had to put up with that clown Bywater because not one but two of our keepers were injured.
Marshall was out for most ofthe season and Heaton at the end..............too risky.
If the same thing happens again,we will be in the same boat again.
Buy a new keeper and move on...ffs its important

Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:04 am

Both have proved themselves to be shite
should have gone for kasper or the coventry fella.
No quality in scotland so we are stuck with marshall and heaton

Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:37 am

Some people must have short memories if they think our keepers are shite; remember how long it took for us to find one who wasn't shambolic?

Heaton was praised so much for the majority of last season, it was only really the Middlesbrough match/bag of nerves thing that people were unsure about. Marshall, although cost us points from flapping at crosses and such, saved us on so many occasions with world class saves; seriously, some people have forgotten how great he is at shot stopping.

Sure, they have their advantages and disadvantages, but they're alright.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:11 pm

As I mentioned earlier "alright" keepers will not get us promoted.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:25 pm

I rate Heaton much more than Marshall. Marshall is incredibly hesitant with aerial balls, frequently flapping at crosses and corners (anyone remember the play-off final?!) although he is a tremendous shot-stopper.

Let's put it this way; the defence trusts Heaton. He is more vocal when coming off his line to deal with loose balls, is much stronger in commanding his area and collecting/dealing with aerial balls (despite the fact that Marshall is taller), and is a great shot-stopper himself.