Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

goodwillie charged with assault

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:53 pm

30 June 2011 Last updated at 14:30

Dundee United's David Goodwillie charged with assault

David Goodwillie made his Dundee United debut in 2005
Dundee United star David Goodwillie has been accused of assaulting a man in Glasgow city centre.

The 22-year-old striker is charged with repeatedly punching and kicking John Friel on the head and body in Queen Street on 3 November 2010.

Mr Goodwillie, of Craighall Street in Stirling, made no appearance at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

No plea was entered on behalf of the Scotland player and Sheriff John Baird continued the case until next month.

The Scottish Young Player of the Year made his competitive debut in December 2005 with Dundee United, appearing as a late substitute in the defeat over Rangers at Ibrox.

He has represented Scotland at all international youth levels since appearing in 2005 and received his first call-up for the senior team in November last year.

Earlier this week, Dundee United rejected a £1m opening bid from Rangers for the player.

Re: goodwillie charged with assault

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:56 pm

Time to move on I think

This will drag & drag

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:59 pm

The report states:

"The 22-year-old striker is charged with repeatedly punching and kicking John Friel on the head and body in Queen Street on 3 November 2010."

Sounds like a nice bloke! :roll:

"Mr Goodwillie, of Craighall Street in Stirling, made no appearance at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

No plea was entered on behalf of the Scotland player and Sheriff John Baird continued the case until next month."

Great! If he's found guilty not sure I'd want this type anyway.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Don't know what all the fuss is about this was expected, he was already charged with assault, today was in court to enter a plea, if he pleaded guilty then he would then return for sentencing, as he pleaded NOT guilty then there will be a court case sometime in the future :thumbup:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:01 pm

some1 said hes due back in court july 11th :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm

its breaking news on sky sports news now :roll:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:05 pm

In lieu of why Chopra left CCFC ( bad press , bad character ) I cant see the Malaysians wanting this hanging over a City player , time to look elsewhere me thinks Mr Mackay ??

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:06 pm

bluebirdsmad123 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-13979701 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Looks like Carl was right, Goodwillie was not going to be in Court today(Personally).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51784 :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:07 pm

sign earnie now then :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:08 pm

bluebirdsmad123 wrote:sign earnie now then :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Forest got til midnight tonite to sign him on , otherwise he's as free as a bird :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Kicking someone in the head is a section 18 GBH, that coupled with the fact he has previous convictions to assault, I reckon he will be going 'over the wall' for a few months....move on I think, shame tho

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:18 pm

There's more to it than that though.

He wasn't just walking up the street and decided he was going to kick someone on the head.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Lucky he's a footballer and not a fan he may get a suspended sentence if proven guilty

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:31 pm

No one knows what caused him to lash out though , fans of rivel teams give the players so much stick up there , could of been defending himself an got carried away

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
bluebirdsmad123 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-13979701 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Looks like Carl was right, Goodwillie was not going to be in Court today(Personally).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51784 :ayatollah:

No, what Carl said was that the case had been delayed.....it wasn't, it went ahead without him being present as is normal in Scotland. As he didn't enter a plea, they are proceeding as if he pleaded not guilty, thats very different from what Carl said.......

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:24 pm

PtB wrote:There's more to it than that though.

He wasn't just walking up the street and decided he was going to kick someone on the head.

You know more Chief than you are saying. :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

That's because I know everyone up here Chief :ayatollah: :lol:

As far as I'm aware it stemmed from an incident in a pub where one of his mates was attacked that night.

I'm also of the belief that the rape charges will be dropped.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Time to move on and sign someone else, looks as this case will go on and on. And then you got this allerged rape case against him. Do you really want someone like this at the club, dont forget he got previous, and with the charge of repeatedley kicking someone in the head which is very serious.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:03 pm

time to move on.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Having worked within the justice system for close to 10 years, my experience was that the minute you put 'boot to head' judges would consider a custodial sentence far more appropriate.... fist fights would normally get away with a slap on the wrist, but kicks to the head are one thing that they particularly dislike and see as extremely cowardly.... so Goodwillie may well be looking at a little time inside.... saying that, he is Scottish... so isn't that just a way of saying 'Hello' up there... :lol: :lol: :lol: only joking...

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:06 pm

maybe earnie,sordell,and some players on loan from prem teams :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Gavlar wrote:Kicking someone in the head is a section 18 GBH, that coupled with the fact he has previous convictions to assault, I reckon he will be going 'over the wall' for a few months....move on I think, shame tho

agree does not look best for him

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:40 pm

PtB wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

That's because I know everyone up here Chief :ayatollah: :lol:

As far as I'm aware it stemmed from an incident in a pub where one of his mates was attacked that night.

I'm also of the belief that the rape charges will be dropped.

Allegedly...... Goodie was out with 3 other Utd players. Whilst Goodie was away getting food, a group of guys started on 2 of the players, knocking one unconscious (Goodie's best mate). When Goodie came back an realise what had happened he went after the guy's and gave them both a royal pumping.

Where the confusion lies is that Goodie and another player were arrested, but Goodie let off without charge and the other player was charged. Now some 7 months later, the other player has had his charges dropped and Goodie is now being charged.with assault.