Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:22 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-13907290

Dundee United footballer assault charge dropped

The players were with SPL team Dundee United
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Footballer facing assault charge
Footballer charged with assault
Assault charges against a Dundee United player following an alleged brawl in Glasgow have been dropped.

Scott Allan, 19, had been charged with assault to severe injury and danger of life after an incident involving fellow team mates in November 2010.

But the Crown Office said the case against him had been dropped because of "insufficient evidence".

Midfielder Danny Swanson became unconscious during the incident and the club's Barry Douglas was also injured.

A Crown Office spokeswoman said: "As with any case, the Crown has an ongoing duty to keep cases under review.

"Following full and careful consideration of all of the facts and circumstances in the case, including the available evidence, Crown Counsel decided there should be no further proceedings against Scott Allan on the basis of insufficient evidence.

"The case against Scott Allan is now closed."

Two other men, former United youth player Matthew Flynn, 22, and John Friel, 22, both from Glasgow, were arrested in relation to the same incident.

They appeared in court on petition on November 4, facing charges alleging assaults on United players Danny Swanson and Barry Douglas and another man.

They appeared again at a preliminary diet on Wednesday and will stand trial on 11 July.

Dundee United player David Goodwillie, who is currently being linked with a £2m switch to Rangers, is to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court next Thursday for a pleading diet on summary complaint in connection with the alleged incident.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Good News About Goodwillie

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:25 pm

castleblue wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-13907290

You haven't read the story properly mate!

He's in court on Thursday! :) :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Overthemoon wrote:

I have the 2 main protagonists are to stand trial in the crown court in july the third has had the case against him dropped.

Yes Goodwillie has a summary complaint against him which in Scotland is heard in a lower court without a jury, in fact Goodwillie does not even have to attend.

The good news is that is court appearance is only to answer a Summary Complaint :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:35 pm

FAIL :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:39 pm

castleblue wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

I have the 2 main protagonists are to stand trial in the crown court in july the third has had the case against him dropped.

Yes Goodwillie has a summary complaint against him which in Scotland is heard in a lower court without a jury, in fact Goodwillie does not even have to attend.

The good news is that is court appearance is only to answer a Summary Complaint :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I have no idea how the Scottish Judiciary work to be honest, but this search I did http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 930AAVAgom, indicates that he may still be in the brown stuff!

I do hope you are right however and he is subsequently cleared of this charge and of the more serious rape charge! :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
castleblue wrote:

I have no idea how the Scottish Judiciary work to be honest, but this search I did http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 930AAVAgom, indicates that he may still be in the brown stuff!

I do hope you are right however and he is subsequently cleared of this charge and of the more serious rape charge! :ayatollah:

I think it's good news because even if he pleads guilty there are maximum sentances allowable under Scottish Law relating to Pleading Diets on Summary Complaint cases, like a maximum of £10k fine or 3 months imprisonment. In my opinion if there was any chance of a prison sentance his brief would of advised him to go for trial by jury.

At the end of the day another player ended up in hospital because of the assualt by these 2 lads whatever Goodwillies involvement it's likely to be a big fine for him. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:48 pm

If there's no evidence, there's no conviction. Simple really :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Suppose we'll have to wait and see then, but I have to say, I'm more concerned about the more serious rape allegation!

I've heard of many a woman making up these sort of allegations, but clearly many men have committed the act of rape and been rightly found guilty!

I hope that Goodwillie is innocent of this accusation however and that it's settled quickly, for everybody's sake! :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Overthemoon wrote:Suppose we'll have to wait and see then, but I have to say, I'm more concerned about the more serious rape allegation!

I've heard of many a woman making up these sort of allegations, but clearly many men have committed the act of rape and been rightly found guilty!

I hope that Goodwillie is innocent of this accusation however and that it's settled quickly, for everybody's sake! :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Overthemoon wrote:Suppose we'll have to wait and see then, but I have to say, I'm more concerned about the more serious rape allegation!

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm pleading for Parkin to diet!

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Does anyone know what actually happened? It seems like a hell of a mess between team mates!

Assault to severe injury and danger of life doesn't sound very trivial to me!