Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff close in on David Goodwillie ..

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:31 pm

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Cardiff ... 6791672.jp :ayatollah: good little write up about cardiff as a club to

Cardiff close in on David Goodwillie as striker seals pre-season victory

David Goodwillie, who looks set to depart Tannadice in the near future, celebrates his winning goal yesterday with Jon Daly

Published Date: 27 June 2011
By Robert Thomson
at Hunky Dory's Park
Drogheda United 1
Whyte (30)
Dundee United 2
Russell (20), Goodwillie (85)
CARDIFF CITY are moving closer to signing Dundee United striker David Goodwillie.

The Championship side have been in discussions with Tannadice club - who have also had official contact from Rangers and Blackpool - with manager Malky Mackay understood to be edging towards making what would be an acceptable offer.

Goodwillie himself scored what may be his last goal for United when came off the bench to grab a late winner for United in yesterday's friendly with Drogheda.

Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston contacted his United counterpart Stephen Thompson over the weekend, but are understood to have opened their negotiations with a figure which was well below United's valuation.

Rangers are in a similar situation, with owner Craig Whyte already on record saying he does not believe the player is worth what his club were quoted seven days ago.

Unless Whyte has a major change of heart it looks as though new Ibrox manager Ally McCoist will miss out on Goodwillie - the player who topped his transfer wish list from the moment he replaced Walter Smith.

United manager Peter Houston, who decided to start Goodwillie on the bench yesterday, said he had yet to hear anything definite regarding the striker's future.

"Nothing has changed with regards David," he said.

"The chairman has been speaking to a couple of clubs but no agreement has been reached with anyone."

Former Celtic and Cardiff winger Willo Flood - who is now back at United - is resigned to losing his team-mate before too long and has urged him to head south to avoid the goldfish bowl in Glasgow.

Flood experienced Old Firm football for himself during his time at Parkhead and recommended that Goodwillie opts for Wales if Cardiff can finalise the deal with United.

The Irishman, who rejoined United from Middlesbrough this summer, said: "I think it's only a matter of time until a fee is agreed and he's on his way.

"If I was him I would go to south because at least he would have a life outside of football. He would be able to go and enjoy his life. He just wants to play football and enjoy his game. I'm sure if he has his way he will go to the English leagues.

"If Cardiff agree a fee for him he should seriously consider it. They are a great club with good staff and they will look after him.

"They are a Premiership club in waiting. If they get promoted and into the Premiership football in Wales would hit the roof."

United took the lead yesterday after 20 minutes in spectacular style.

A perfectly-flighted cross by Keith Watson stood up for Johnny Russell on the penalty spot and the youngster, whose development has come on apace in the last six months, flicked a volley into the top right-hand corner.

However, their lead only lasted until the half-hour as striker Jordan White stooped to send a diving header beyond goalkeeper Felipe Mentel to level matters for the home side.

Re: Cardiff close in on David Goodwillie ..

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Love willos comments :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:57 pm

Good old Willo, didn't get a fair crack at it here for me, though that doesn't mean I think he def would have made it.

Funny how its a sly dig at Swansea in his comments. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

If we really have rejected Bothroyd then DG must be a certainty.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:10 am

"They are a Premiership club in waiting. If they get promoted and into the Premiership football in Wales would hit the roof."

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: Sleep Giant is still waiting to be woken! :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:23 am

bit early to have a pre season game is it or do they have mickey mouse european games

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:38 am

Jenks wrote:bit early to have a pre season game is it or do they have mickey mouse european games

Jealousy is a bad thing. A little trip to Poland in mid July. That will do nicely.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:19 am

Llantrisant Blue. wrote:http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Cardiff-close-in-on-David.6791672.jp :ayatollah: good little write up about cardiff as a club to.

:lol: :hello1: Willo, Willo, Willo :ayatollah: :thumbup: Always liked Willo Flood and for that statment hes made it on the bench now for my all time Cardiff side :lol:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:24 am

zippy wrote:
Jenks wrote:bit early to have a pre season game is it or do they have mickey mouse european games

Jealousy is a bad thing. A little trip to Poland in mid July. That will do nicely.

I agree mate.

We werent calling the Welsh Cup Mickey Mouse when we still qualified for Europe

Say what you like about the Scottish League but Dundee United etc are still a million
miles ahead of Airbus UK and TNS Llansansoftbastards

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:33 am

I'm not Jealous its just that there are so many qualifying rounds they dont get a good break!
:ayatollah:

Called it the Mickey Mouse cup cos didnt know which one they were in!

I dont rate the Scottish league, however it seems that its the only league we buy players from!!